“Could easily pass as the most beautiful Serena Hotel”

Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Nairobi
“Could easily pass as the most beautiful Serena Hotel”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

i have stayed here three times and there is just something 'right' with Serena hotels and this one does not disappoint. Lovely rooms, lovely food, lovely service, beautiful landscape and view of the lake. One could be swallowed up in the hotel and easily block out all the troubles of the world out there. Only downside is that it is so secluded and if you are the kind of traveller who likes jumping into a taxi and visiting the town or taking a walk to the nearest restaurant then perhaps this is not the hotel for you. It would take you at least 30 minutes drive to the nearest 'town'. It therefore can get boring pretty fast! Enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are just beautiful but most are quite a walk from the reception. If you don't like the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HopeNairobi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for about 10 days, and I never regretted a single moment of it. The scenery was very lovely, the room was clean and cozy, the food was very fresh and tasty, and the hotel staff was all friendly and helpful. The conference that we organized at this hotel was successful thanks to their high professionalism.

Actually, I was quite impressed by the hotel staff’s integrity with their services every day. In the powder room on the lobby floor, I saw a house keeper cleaning literally spick and span, top to bottom. In the main restaurant, staff always made me feel welcome and at home. One time, while I was having breakfast, I noticed that a restaurant manager directed a stern look at my coffee cup and saucer. I later found that it was because the manager thought the waitress served me a coffee without a spoon (and reprimanded her for this). In fact, it came with the spoon but I put it on a meal plate myself (so I cleared the manager’s misunderstanding). Their service standards were really exemplary. This hotel really made me found of Uganda and Ugandan people. I really hope for another opportunity to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Big room with big bathroom and plenty of amenities. Very clean. View on the lake, balcony, very quite... Perfect!
Amazing swimming pool (25 m) with very good Congolese music... Very relaxing.
Staff welcoming and helpful.
Good food at the restaurant but wine too expensive.

Not much to do in the area.
The "shuttle" between Airport and hotel too expensive (taxi from Kampala center to Airport is cheaper even if hotel is closer to airport!).

Room Tip: Rooms far away from restaurant/swimming pool are quieter: beware wedding parties on WE.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice location but not right up against the lake as some the photos suggests. Fair food selection trying to have a little on the menu for every corner of the world. Standard-sized rooms with tiles on the floor.

Wireless internet throughout at slow but steary speeds (I saw 150-200 kbps most of the time). Staff is friendly but a bit relaxed overall. I often saw trays with room service items on them sitting outside, which brings cockroaches (I had them in my room on both occasions). There are mini-bars in each room it seems containing only beverages.

I stayed room 144 and 142. Both of those - and many more - are facing a field just East of the property used for gatherings of the locals. At both my stays there were celebrations going on, and the music/singing was in both cases very(!) loud. On my last stay they music started at 4:00 p.m. and ended at 11:00 p.m. Not great if you're there for an early flight, a day room or to work.

I believe the Serena in Kampala itself is of higher quality (it's a member of LHW), but the drive there can be up to two hours from the airport until you arrive in the middle of the night.

All in all a nice hotel and probably the best there is in Entebbe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Don't mistaken me for a food lover but the meals are the best in Uganda and most places I have visited in the world. Great breakfast, variety at lunch and dinner. The rooms too are spacious and neat. Plumbing is occasionally disappointing - the reason I rate a 4

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kampala
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went down to LVS, after a conference last week, for an overnight stay. This was my first visit.

I had a pleasant welcome, with cold drink, herbal flannel and was escorted to the room. I had work to do before relaxing, but had to leave the room as there was no wifi, so worked by the pool instead, which was tricky with the wind and brightness. The pool area is certainly very pleasant, but I didn't get chance to try it, as we were having a cocktail party early evening. The IT Tech came from the Business suite, in order to check it out, and claimed to have internet on his phone. It didn't work when I returned.

Friday night was pasta night - fresh pasta cooked to your choice with any ingredients; alongside, a variety of hot dishes in warmers, none of which looked appealing. I was generally disappointed in dinner! And we were chased off an unreserved outside table, having already been seated, and asked a chef it if was OK!

We both had a terrible night's sleep, due to the noisiest extractor fan going all night in the bathroom; the TV coming on twice automatically (switched it off at the plug after the second time); and hard mattress. Morning came, just managed to pick up wifi by standing near the room door.

My husband said the breakfast has improved, but I only wanted something light, so went for fruit salad and danish pastries. I had to ask for butter though! It was shut in a cupboard.

On the whole, the environment is very pleasant, and I can see the appeal of possibly breaking a journey to the airport or a weekend break - but the road is so appalling to get there, you have to be prepared for that. I wouldn't like to do it in the darkness.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellyRM
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I visited Serena Lake Victoria for the second time; this time for a 5-day workshop. The hotel offers good conference facilities and the rooms are very comfortable with all modern amenities including air-con, satellite TV, big comfortable bed and nice bathroom - and views of Lake Victoria.

Food is really good (I only tried the buffet, not the a la carte) and the staff very friendly and service minded - not least the chefs manning the buffet. The hotel has a very nice gym and spa - I really enjoyed both a pedicure and a facial in the spa - the prices are high compared to Kampala but the quality matches what you pay. There's also a large (and very clean) pool; perfect if you want to do laps. Only drawback was the room service - I ordered a tuna nicoise salad which was really tiny, nothing special and definitely not worth its extravagant prize!

If you are looking to pamper yourself, I would definitely recommend Serena Lake Victoria as a weekend get-away - or as a pleasant stop-over on your way to/from Entebbe Airport.

Room Tip: The rooms located to the right of the main building (facing the water) have much better lake views t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampala
Kampala Serena Hotel
Sheraton Kampala Hotel
Sheraton Kampala Hotel
#12 of 101 in Kampala
Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe

Been to Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!