“Good hotel, but lacks in service”

Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Tartu, Estonia
“Good hotel, but lacks in service”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were arriving with bigger group very early in the morning and the hotel was prewarned about it. Still, there was only one person to check us all in. Not nice.

Also, this hotel has a spa and I was interested in pedicure. Strangely, they told that the room was being renovated and therefore they cannot offer this service. I was willing to have the pedicure where ever, even in my room, but this was not allowed for some reason. Not very business minded people.

The rooms were very nice and views good. We had our own balcony overlooking lake Victoria. The cleaning staff did not however meet the expectations. On the first night, when we arrived, we wanted to sleep long and put not to disturb sign out on our door. The wind had blown it down and the room service knocked on our door and told that the sign was on the ground. Well, they should have realized that even if it was on the ground, it still meant not to disturb.

Also, although the rooms were nice, it was not cleaned well enough. The floors were not washed.

Otherwise the pool area was nice and the buffet plentyful and tasty.

About location: it is in the middle of nowhere, so you need some transportation to get out. Also, Although from the map it seems closer, transportation from and to airport takes a good 45 minutes, so if you have an early flight, better to stay in Entebbe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank klaabukas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Nairobi
Reviewed 24 July 2014

i have stayed here three times and there is just something 'right' with Serena hotels and this one does not disappoint. Lovely rooms, lovely food, lovely service, beautiful landscape and view of the lake. One could be swallowed up in the hotel and easily block out all the troubles of the world out there. Only downside is that it is so secluded and if you are the kind of traveller who likes jumping into a taxi and visiting the town or taking a walk to the nearest restaurant then perhaps this is not the hotel for you. It would take you at least 30 minutes drive to the nearest 'town'. It therefore can get boring pretty fast! Enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are just beautiful but most are quite a walk from the reception. If you don't like the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HopeNairobi
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for about 10 days, and I never regretted a single moment of it. The scenery was very lovely, the room was clean and cozy, the food was very fresh and tasty, and the hotel staff was all friendly and helpful. The conference that we organized at this hotel was successful thanks to their high professionalism.

Actually, I was quite impressed by the hotel staff’s integrity with their services every day. In the powder room on the lobby floor, I saw a house keeper cleaning literally spick and span, top to bottom. In the main restaurant, staff always made me feel welcome and at home. One time, while I was having breakfast, I noticed that a restaurant manager directed a stern look at my coffee cup and saucer. I later found that it was because the manager thought the waitress served me a coffee without a spoon (and reprimanded her for this). In fact, it came with the spoon but I put it on a meal plate myself (so I cleared the manager’s misunderstanding). Their service standards were really exemplary. This hotel really made me found of Uganda and Ugandan people. I really hope for another opportunity to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Big room with big bathroom and plenty of amenities. Very clean. View on the lake, balcony, very quite... Perfect!
Amazing swimming pool (25 m) with very good Congolese music... Very relaxing.
Staff welcoming and helpful.
Good food at the restaurant but wine too expensive.

Not much to do in the area.
The "shuttle" between Airport and hotel too expensive (taxi from Kampala center to Airport is cheaper even if hotel is closer to airport!).

Room Tip: Rooms far away from restaurant/swimming pool are quieter: beware wedding parties on WE.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice location but not right up against the lake as some the photos suggests. Fair food selection trying to have a little on the menu for every corner of the world. Standard-sized rooms with tiles on the floor.

Wireless internet throughout at slow but steary speeds (I saw 150-200 kbps most of the time). Staff is friendly but a bit relaxed overall. I often saw trays with room service items on them sitting outside, which brings cockroaches (I had them in my room on both occasions). There are mini-bars in each room it seems containing only beverages.

I stayed room 144 and 142. Both of those - and many more - are facing a field just East of the property used for gatherings of the locals. At both my stays there were celebrations going on, and the music/singing was in both cases very(!) loud. On my last stay they music started at 4:00 p.m. and ended at 11:00 p.m. Not great if you're there for an early flight, a day room or to work.

I believe the Serena in Kampala itself is of higher quality (it's a member of LHW), but the drive there can be up to two hours from the airport until you arrive in the middle of the night.

All in all a nice hotel and probably the best there is in Entebbe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Don't mistaken me for a food lover but the meals are the best in Uganda and most places I have visited in the world. Great breakfast, variety at lunch and dinner. The rooms too are spacious and neat. Plumbing is occasionally disappointing - the reason I rate a 4

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kampala
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went down to LVS, after a conference last week, for an overnight stay. This was my first visit.

I had a pleasant welcome, with cold drink, herbal flannel and was escorted to the room. I had work to do before relaxing, but had to leave the room as there was no wifi, so worked by the pool instead, which was tricky with the wind and brightness. The pool area is certainly very pleasant, but I didn't get chance to try it, as we were having a cocktail party early evening. The IT Tech came from the Business suite, in order to check it out, and claimed to have internet on his phone. It didn't work when I returned.

Friday night was pasta night - fresh pasta cooked to your choice with any ingredients; alongside, a variety of hot dishes in warmers, none of which looked appealing. I was generally disappointed in dinner! And we were chased off an unreserved outside table, having already been seated, and asked a chef it if was OK!

We both had a terrible night's sleep, due to the noisiest extractor fan going all night in the bathroom; the TV coming on twice automatically (switched it off at the plug after the second time); and hard mattress. Morning came, just managed to pick up wifi by standing near the room door.

My husband said the breakfast has improved, but I only wanted something light, so went for fruit salad and danish pastries. I had to ask for butter though! It was shut in a cupboard.

On the whole, the environment is very pleasant, and I can see the appeal of possibly breaking a journey to the airport or a weekend break - but the road is so appalling to get there, you have to be prepared for that. I wouldn't like to do it in the darkness.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellyRM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampala
Kampala Serena Hotel
Sheraton Kampala Hotel
Sheraton Kampala Hotel
#12 of 101 in Kampala
Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe

Been to Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!