“I loved it!”

Silver Springs Hotel
Ranked #22 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 4 March 2014

After a crazy 15 hour overland trip in our Nomad Tours truck we finally arrived at Silver Springs at 11pm. The only place we could erect our tents was at the end of a parking lot, right next to the construction site that was still active and rather noisy.
We decided to upgrade.
What a pleasure.
From the coffee our friend got us, as tired, hot and dirty we made the necessary arrangements at reception, to the friendly porter who took our bags, chatting along the way to our room.

The room itself was an absolute delight. Much bigger than we expected, containing 2 beds, chairs, a desk, a large cupboard, a fridge, TV, and lovely, lovely aircon. We had plenty of space to spread out, sort out our bags and make use of the laundry service.

A safe in the room provided peace of mind as we stashed our passports and money into it.

The bathroom was spacious, the shower huge, and the hot water provided just what we needed to wash away the grime, aches and pains after a long days travelling. Our hair rejoiced at the hair drier, we looked like normal people again.

The pool area was lovely, we swam a few times, and enjoyed sitting around on the lawns at the pool, making new friends, ordering food from the restaurant and snack bar and being delighted by the friendly service from the staff.

We walked down to the local supermarket and shops, just 5 minutes away from the Hotel, and caught a taxi to the local markets.
After that another refreshing swim at the hotel pool was just what we needed.
Supper that evening was a variety of BBQ ed meats and salads. The BBQ is cooked right there beside the pool and the tantalising smells are too good to resist.

We did have a little trouble connecting to the Internet, the connection came and went, but that is a common occurrence in East Africa.

The Silver Springs Hotel was a relaxing oasis in the midst of bustling Kampala. Security at the main gate as well as the entrance to the hotel is very reassuring.

I loved my 2 night stay there and would go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoamingGiraffe

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Checked in on 11th January at 1am and the security guy insisted on checking our bags one by one yet we had almost 9 bags among 4. So far so good. Rooms not too shabby,friendly staff. This is a place I would revisit

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbs S
Reviewed 10 January 2014

It was my 1st trip to Uganda which I think is a wonderful country with a warm and friendly feel to it. The hotel is billed as one of the best but in truth its very basic. There was a flat screen TV but very limited channels mostly Ugandan. The worst issue was noise. There are pathways between the rooms across the gardens and you hear everything being said by all passers by.In the morning the cleaners seem to travel in packs shouting rather than talking to each other. No chance you can sleep through that. On a positive note the rooms do have air conditioning and mosquito nets which are essential. Breakfast is a buffet. I turned up quite late and it looked like there had been a food fight with food everywhere. No-one seemed interested in keeping it tidy. For the price I'm sure there must be better hotels here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet spot.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My colleague and I were booked into the Silver Springs Hotel by our hosts the Federation of Motorsports Clubs of Uganda to be our base for some motorsports safety training. Booking in at 04,30 on the Saturday morning was a breese even at that time and the porters who showed us to our rooms were efficient and polite. The rooms were big and airy, clean, and most welcome after a 14 hour journey/flight.
The entire staff were friendly and polite and nothing was to much trouble. The meals we had were well cooked and gave us a good "taste" of Ugandan cuisine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Looking for a hotel for our last night in Kampala, we settled on the Silver Springs. Booked online through a well-known agency, it wasn't particularly cheap. In fact, I was amazed to see that one reviewer paid $70 as it cost me more than TWICE that amount.

Check in was very efficient and details of our booking were all there. As we were planning to leave at 6.00am the next morning, I asked about breakfast arrangements. They offered to either provide a packed breakfast or have the breakfast room accommodate us at 5.30am. We chose the latter. About 9.00pm that evening, reception telephoned me to confirm that we could go down for breakfast at 5.30am.

Our room was a reasonable size but the main lighting was exceptionally dim. To find something in my suitcase I had to use a torch, which was absurd. The bathroom window would not close and it was quite clear on examining the mechanism that it had probably never been fully closed before. Consequently, during the night, we were plagued with mosquitoes who were clearly coming in through the slightly open bathroom window. The room had air conditioning, which was welcome, but it couldn't be left on at night as it was noisy.

We had a drink in the Pebbles bar, described in the hotel's literature as somewhere to relax. Unfortunately, there were two things that prevented this. Firstly, a group of about 5 or 6 men were making a lot of noise. Secondly, there was music being played in the background with bass that was so low and powerful that the tables and chairs were vibrating. You couldn't actually hear the music itself but could feel the bass. It was so unpleasant that we left after one drink and went to the restaurant downstairs. Despite it now being 10.00pm, there were only two other groups in the restaurant. Both had a multitude of small children who believed they were in a playground. They ran from table to table, including ours, screeching loudly. Nobody, not least the hotel staff, asked them to be quiet. It was awful.

Next morning, covered in numerous mosquito bites, we went for breakfast at 5.30am. There were two men there setting everything up. I explained about our arrangement. "Nobody's told me about that" was the reply and the men then ignored us and carried on with their work. They invited us to help ourselves but everything was cold as they hadn't yet lit the burners beneath the food nor turned on the urns for the hot water. It was not a good breakfast. In fact, it was something of a disaster, especially after the promises made to us the night before.

We left at 6.00am, hopefully never to return.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank kenc
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I thought this hotel was pretty good for the price. It's located in Bugolobi, which is a few kms from the main city of Kampala, but you can easily get a share taxi to the city center for 1,000 shs and it's a brief ride so no worries. The suites come equipped with a small fridge, plasma tv, sofa and chair, and sink. Wifi is available in the rooms and the speed is good for Uganda. Bedroom is of good size, with a tiled shower and place to hang clothes. The pool is adequate, but it is viewable from every restaurant and bar area in the hotel and sometimes there are lots of people sitting around just talking or drinking by the pool so you might feel like part of a show. My only real complaint was that the water in my shower didn't drain well and the window in my bathroom didn't close all the way. These were minor issues however and I didn't address them with the staff. Overall, I was pleased with my stay and I felt the hotel was a nice 3-4 star accommodation in Kampala.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Johnalz
Reviewed 8 August 2013

over the past week we have been to silver springs three times as we had colleagues from UK booked there so our meetings went on late and had to have dinner there. Service was atrocious!!! We sat outside by the pool the waitresses seemed to think they were doing us a favour by serving us. they made constant mistakes with our orders without any apologies and the manager was all smiles without knowing how to sort out the restaurant problem which was really annoying. first night we were there we ordered pizza and lamb. my pizza arrived short of ingredients and after 20minutes of trying to wait for my partner's lamb to arrive i started eating. His meal arrived about an hour after mine did without any valid explanation other than "the chefs were working round the clock to get it out" after all the wait the lamb was cold and boney!! we just got our check and got out of there. When i got home my packed leftover pizza had a piece eaten out of it. We landed up there again for dinner 2nights later and sat upstairs...ordered pizza again that was ok and the waitress though seemed new seemed to be friendly and fairly attentive...only thing they offer a free drink with the pizza but they send you a virgin mojito which you land up paying for another drink if you dont like mojitos.. last night again we had dinner in the restaurant downstairs next to the pool...waitress service was poor... ordered pizza again and others ordered their meals too. again the pizza had ingredients missing and on informing the waitress, she said nothing and never came back with an apology nor reason. They ran out of nile special beer that my colleagues were drinking which is a common beer in uganda.. ??? I once again asked for my pizza to be packed and when i got home again, a piece of my pizza had been eaten out again and thats what prompted me to write this review. Their rooms are nothing to write home about and are mosquito infested as my colleagues had booked and paid for an entire week, they had to stay!! The service was all round atrocious with servers and management not really clued in on service and customer care. Management seemed non existent and the one we saw was nonchalant about our needs...all in all... not recommending this place for one!! The only good thing about it was the pizzas and the garden! The servers should be taught not to dig into guests take away leftovers!! its disgusting!!! very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: not recommending!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business