“Bah! Humbug”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have now been to Mediterraneo twice now, and last night and the time before I found the service and food standards very High. After reading some of the reviews, I found them unfair, unfounded, and suggest that if cost is a concern then I am sure there are some burger outlets which will fit there budget and taste, in Kampala.

What we have to remember here is the golden rule, be friendly to the waiter serving you, treat him with respect, and do not forget where you are.

Well done Mediterraneo you have my vote

2  Thank Stuart W

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've been here several times and I've always had a good meal. You have to be prepared to pay by Kampala standards, but it's good food and it's always a full house.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Although we were hesitant because the place is so dark & looks so depressing, we decided to give it a go. So, The pizza & beef were both lovely the first time we visited. But the level of food and service both dropped so low in the next visit (no consistency at all!). I can now say: "this is a place we will never return and recommend to anyone!"

stefani1710, Guest Relations Manager at Mediterraneo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Depressing....wow.... trust me you went to The wrong place......but we still love you.
and by the way if you been to Mediterraneo, and you are positive about your comment, please send us pictures of places you find exiting........ we cannot wait to to look at them.
cheers

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was looking forward to a hearty Italian meal. I knew I was going to spend to have it, but seriously, this restaurant is so overpriced and the menu is not very diverse! Between 22,000-28,000 for a starter salad? And main meals from between 30-40K. I would expect a stellar menu selection for those prices but I had a hard time finding something that sounded good to me. When I did select the Chef's special I was told the mashed potatoes on the side would be served dry, and if we wanted some sort of sauce for them, we'd have to pay extra...what?!

Furthermore they have no children's menu AT ALL with only an option for a "half Portion" at 70% of the price...(can you imagine paying that much for a kid who will eat such a small portion?), and only after much prompting did the waiter suggest they had chips on the menu for 6,000 shillings. The seating and atmosphere was nice, but the place was overrun by flies and we had to request a candle to get rid of them.

I think this will be the last time I visit Mediterraneo.

Our order ended up being tasty and it was nice that they served a generous bread basket with the meal. The servers were very friendly and helpful but I got the impression they didn't really know much about the menu. When we asked what Pecorino cheese is, we were told that it was made from pigs...um..yuk! (Found out from google, it is actually made from Sheep's milk)...needless to say we did not order it. We had to have at least 3 waiters just to be able to answer our question about the menu.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Disastrous. I had been before and was happy then. This time was a Monty Python farce. Service very slow. I should have had an inkling when they didn't write anything down but just took the order listening. My colleague had a steak and asked for the pepper sauce to be in a bowl alongside so of course it was poured over. Another colleague had lamb chops which were almost inedible, stringy and fatty. Hardly any meat worth eating. My pizza was okay (I mean can you do that much damage to a pizza?). We asked for ice cream, vanilla with chocolate sauce and got chocolate ice cream. Sent it back and repeated very c a r e f u l l y the order. Nope got it wring again. I got one scoop vanilla one scoop chocolate. no sauce. And all very melted and runny as the waiter was wandering around looking for our table.
Sorry Mediterraneo, this was poor by any standards. It will be a long time before I visit again, which is a pity as it is in a nice location with good ambience. But seriously lift your game. Carry on like this and you'll have no punters soon.

1  Thank gam8le