“Would have got 5 but for one small thing”

Sheraton Kampala Hotel
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Kampala
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Would have got 5 but for one small thing”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have travelled throughout Africa and can say that the Sheraton Hotel ranks among the best I have stayed in. Unfortunately, an incident last night tarnished all the good things that I enjoyed. I was at the bar and some poeple came in to order drink at 18:50, and asked why they were charged full price as this fell within happy hour (18:00 to 19:00). The so called manager claimed that the system was setup that way and therefore it was, in his view, already19:00 as per the system. He did not understand that this was actually "stealing" from his guests, the one's that actually ensure that he has a job. This is such a simple thing, it is unacceptable. 1 or 2 minutes and one can argue, but 10 minutes - no way. Get the basics right and value your customers, don't try to cheat them.

Room Tip: If on the restaurant side, stay high up to avoid noise from the daily live entertainment.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very little I have to say about this hotel, where being a SPG guest I thought I would get a good service, but it was not to my expectation. I stayed for 4 nights and was not pleased with the service.

My air conditioning was not working for 3 days inspite of maintenance people checking it every day. My min-bar fridge was not working, it as replaced and I needed a mini-fridge to keep my medicine. The main switch was switched off by the house keeping inspite of an instruction with the house keeping management. My medicine went for a toss.

Rooms were okay and decor looked old and staffs at the reception and restaurant were not looking friendly and did not understand them.

I had a call from the manager after my office compliant about the issues that I faced, and wanted to speak to me, the day I was checking out, he could not meet, but he assured me that someone from the front desk would meet me.

The reception desk forgot to call the duty manager while checkout, could remember only when the whole formatlities was over and my driver waiting for me to drop me to airport. She tried call te duty manager but could not see anyone coming. The duty manager may have come after I left, which I do not know.

The lobby looked too crowded and did not gave a Sheraton impression. The outside landscaping was good and gave a green look frommy hotel room.

Food was okay nothing great. Rooms were clean and bedsheet was just made not even rugged though I did not wanted them to change the sheet but atleast should be hand rugged to make it look clean and nice, but it had the creased look everytime.

It also looked that evern the bathroom was not cleaned properly, I could trace the dirty part still remaining.

Breakfast venue kept on changing everyday...

Not a good choice.

Room Tip: Take a room facing the city and green landscaping
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Nairobi
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed in this Hotel while on a business trip, and liked their clean room and excellent restaurant service. The garden views from the breakfast room are to die for. I only had an issue with their reservations people. Because their sloppiness, I was kept waiting in the reception for a long time as my booking was reconfirmed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Good hotel in excellent location within easy walking distance of the city's heart. Uganda is a beautiful country and this makes an excellent base from which to start exploring. Some of the visiting American and European business guests can be a bit boorish in the bar but that applies the world over!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the positives. Security checks into the hotel are stringent. The Internet connection is excellent and the bed was comfortable. Rooms are clean. The pool is good and the bar enjoyable apart from being full of prostitutes.
Ok the bathroom especially the shower. Disgusting. Shabby. And hardly any pressure in the water. Which was brown.
The gym. Basic but everything worked apart from the staff who on the 3 visits I made were all sitting around on the machines watching tv or listening to music. On one occasion I had to ask for the music to be turned down as I could hear it whilst wearing my own headphones. Seeing as I was the only person using the gym I didn't think this would be a problem.This seemed to perturb the attendants though.
Front desk staff. Slow. Not very friendly. During my checkout the attendant (Anthony) removed a small New Testament from his pocket to look something up while my bill was printing. I wish he had paid more attention to me because he gave me the bill for someone else's room. It took me almost 15 minutes to check out.
The lifts took an age because they seemed to keep turning off.
Finally the room key. I stayed 4 nights and had to keep getting my key reset. Very frustrating.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony R
Nairobi
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

The security at the hotel appears to be very stringent. Be prepared on arrival to get out of your vehicle and be physically checked.
The front desk staff were a little bit offhand and not very welcoming. My room was adequate but the bathroom very tired and needs updating. The shower head would not stay up right and the connecting pipe was leaking spraying water all over the bathroom. At night as I was on the 4th floor (427) the sound from the air conditioning woke me up at night and made it difficult to get back to sleep.
The bar area where there is live music is however a redeeming factor. Food was good and the live must excellent. Shame about the girls of the night who harass you as you head to the restrooms. Why do International hotels in Africa still allow this to happen. Money must pass hands to security. It needs stopping now as it drags down the hotels reputation and is a security risk.
When I came down to the park square coffee area for an early breakfast at 5 30 am. I was served a stale reheated croissant. There was a fat KK security woman fast asleep on a sofas - not great!!!
There are better hotels in Kampala. The Serena is far superior. I would only stay here again if others were full. Need a lot of work Sheraton to justify your $220 a night price tag.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a business trip to Kampala and Uganda. As you would expect with a Sheraton everything was clean and comfortable. Not going to set the world alight but exactly what you need in a city hotel.

Plenty of restaurants to choose from, a big swimming pool (although I didn't get to try it) and easy access to the city.

Could perhaps use a bit of an upgrade on the bathroom but otherwise couldn't fault it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business