“Informative stop in Kampala”
Review of Uganda Museum

and up
Full-Day City Tour of Kampala
Ranked #9 of 66 things to do in Kampala
More attraction details
Owner description: Though larger and more diverse collections are housed elsewhere, the hands-on traditional drums and other musical instruments are the highlight of this modest collection.
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were surprised by the quality of exhibits in this small museum in Kampala. A worthwhile introduction to the country and its people.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

During my stay in Uganda when my friend was ill, I took two of our sponsor children to the National Museum in Kampala. I was happy that I could give them this opportunity, however for Dutch "have seen it all people" it is just another dusty building with ancient left overs of Ugandan past. Outside our boys ran towards the huts of their clan and inside they saw the things they learned at school. My glass of bear in nextdoor bar was my reward for keeping track of 2 hours museum.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

If you have time in Kampala, it is worth a half hour to hour to visit to this museum as it helps to orient you to the various tribes & kingdoms in Uganda. Also there is an interesting collection of musical instruments. The museum however is a bit run down with missing lights in some displays

1  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I visited the Uganda Museum some years back and was actually surprised at how much material they have. Sadly Ugandan's don't visit it much and so rarely recommend that visitors to Uganda go there. It needs a lot of support from both the local and international industry because it has the potential to become a truly national treasure. Uganda needs more curators to revive the passion behind having a Museum in a country where we have more than 15 tribes and over 40 languages, plus our history is quite interesting.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Perhaps it is isn't surprising that this isn't the world's most exciting museum but given what I suspect are limited resources, it has a reasonable number of exhibits worth looking at which paint a picture of Ugandan history and culture. Indeed there are a pleasing number of of local artifacts which are very interesting and some left overs from British rule including an early Ford motor car and a rather distressed statue of King George V. Clearly, a good injection of funds would be a help. True, it doesn't take long to get around the exhibits but, given the circumstances, I rather enjoyed my short visit there.