“Good Hotel”
Review of Hotel Sojovalo

Hotel Sojovalo
Ranked #37 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed there for 6 nights both in December 2013 and January 2014. Staff was very friendly and the food was great. The rooms are big, cleaned and quiet. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a safe, comfortable and affordable place to stay while in Kampala. However, I would advise anyone going there to carefully check what they have or don't have in a room before occupying it as staff tends to overcharge people for "lost items" at the end of their stays. During my last stay (in early January 2014), both my girlfriend and I were searched (during our check-out) for some "missing hand tower". They even asked me to open all my big suitcases, but I refused as it was going to delay me for my fight to the USA, so they requested that I pay $100 (for the hand tower) before I could leave. I paid the money and left the hotel unhappily.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are better for WiFi connection (and also because the hotel doesn't have...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Mulu L

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This was a pleasant surprise after many days away from A/C, internet and working toilets. Hotel Sojovalo delivered. The rooms were super clean. They had free wifi, wonderful air conditioning, Full bathroom with tub and even a mini refrigerator. Dinner was fabulous, but the morning breakfast buffet was not the greatest, the food was lukewarm to cold, but all in all I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay for a reasonable price!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heatherob
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I was there for two nights this week and the beds were comfortable, beddings were clean and staff were friendly. Food was great and breakfast was good. Wifi is ok at reception and dinning area. Rooms are quiet and quality sleep is assured.

They need to get new towels for the bathrooms. Add wifi routers on the floors to get all rooms with Wifi access. Otherwise no other issues.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WashBigs
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in between our gorilla & chimpanzee trekking (Oct 24 & Oct 29). Staff are friendly and courteous. Although they do not seem to communicate amongst each other. We agreed upon a late check out on Oct 30 (12pm instead of 10 am) and housekeeping still tried to come in the room at 915 am to clean the room. An hour later we received a phone call to tell us check out was at 10 am. At the breakfast buffet, I was asked twice by 2 different servers my room number. The breakfast buffet was good on Oct 25 - maybe because we were there when it opened. Oct 30 - arrived at the buffet about an hour before closing and it was mediocre. You can tell that food items had been sitting on the warmers for awhile. Rooms are large and comfortable. This hotel needs to invest on new hand towel & bath towels - both times we stayed here - towels are old and look unclean. Also, there is construction at or very close by to the hotel and it is very loud.
Addendum: my friend had a beer at the bar last night and the server tried to take his unfinished glass of beer away. He stopped her and when he paid the bill, she seemed very unhappy.
Good wifi connection in the rooms and also available in the lobby.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank specializedrh1550
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the location to be quite favourable for visiting some of Kampala's religious sights (mosques, churches), which was rather convenient. The room had tv (unfortunately the sports channel had only white noise) and fridge. The room was a good size, with telephone. WiFi worked but speeds were variable between good and tediously slow, depending on the time of day. Bed was comfortable. The Aircon worked a little but wasn't that effective to counteract the heat in the room. Shower was cold one morning but an hour later was hot again. We only got 1 toilet roll, which unfortunately ran out halfway through the night! Breakfast was a bit weak really. Management generally had a good attitude to complaints. The tour organiser is quite pricey we thought (10 min drive into central Kampala quoted at 25K). For 80 bucks a night I thought the breakfast could've been a bit better, but I'm sure you can do a lot worse in Kampala.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bamboozla
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I spend 2 night in this upmarket hotel and I should say Am looking forward to more nights here. Despite the unwelcoming Attitude at the reception, commonly within the small and medium hotel, here we were made to feel at home straight from the reception. The receptionist whom I have forgotten the name was very gentle and kind to us and the bar, the Food And Beverage manager was also extremely impressive on the floor. At some point we though he was the manager. Looking for a decent and affordable accommodation in Kampala, stay here.a

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PRIDEINN_12
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was honored to be the very first guest at Hotel Sojovalo in Kampala and have stayed there everytime we've been in Kampala. William and the entire team are very courteous, gracious and show genuine interest in accommodating the needs of their guests. The restaurant is very good as well. A great place to base from while in Kampala, strategically located near government and shopping areas. Security is top notch as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business