“Surprisingly Good”

Ranked #52 of 291 Restaurants in Kampala
Price range: US$4 - US$7
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The little Donkey is an Authentic Mexican Restaurant. We serve burritos, tacos, enchiladas and more. We have margaritas, Coronas, our famous Blue Agave,a traditional drink with Tequila,tropical lime juice,triple sec on rocks and more. When you visit Kampala,Uganda don't forget to stop by you won't regret it.
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I am a Texan. I bleed Tex-Mex. However, I live in Kampala, Uganda so I rely on making my own. I finally got to try Little Donkey not too long ago and was very pleasantly surprised. I had lunch there which is comprised of their burrito bar. I got to try each filling since we were going to hire Little Donkey for outside catering for an event. They were all good but the bourbon chicken was the best. I haven't tried a lot of things on the menu yet, but I hear good things from everyone I talk to. I only wish the location was better for where I live. They also need take-away menus. Anyway, I suggest you try it! It's good!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ErinandJon

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mexico in Kampala!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

While I LOVE living in Uganda, there are a few things I miss about home, and one of those would be really good Mexican food. Well, no longer does that have to be one of the things I miss! The Little Donkey has some pretty amazing food--huge burritos, delicious nachos, and cheese, of all things. Granted, we are living in Uganda, and a special Ugandan meal is awesome, but every once in a while, it's nice to have a taste of home. From now on, I'll go to The Little Donkey for that.

Lunch was simple--basically burritos and/or nachos. The burritos are massive, so my group of 6 barely finished the 1 plate of nachos we ordered. Decent prices, for the amount of food you get! The restaurant was small, but it's just around the corner from IHK, so not the strangest place. I think the location adds to the fun of the place.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this place. I can't wait to go back and maybe at some point I'll stay in the city overnight and get to try their dinner menu!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Chrissy S
Vienna, Austria
“Good and really cheap!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

The Little Donkey is located outside of the city center of Kampala. This means that it takes a bit of effort to get there. That doesn't mean that this holds us back because The Little Donkey has the best Mexican Food ever and it is so cheap! Make sure you have the nachos as a starter! They are delicious!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Mijke S
Kampala, Uganda
“Yummy Mexican in an unusual location!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It's strange to go for Mexican when we are living in Uganda but after reading all the reviews, we had to give it a try. We ordered nachos, soft tacos, and burritos. I knew the portions would be big so I only ordered the appy sized tacos and I think they were left to sit while my husband's burritos were made because they were not as hot as I would have liked. The flavours of all the dishes were excellent.

The food costs are between $5 and $10 a dish which is not bad for things made with cheese, an expensive luxury here.

The location is out of the way and just on the side of the street but the patio has a high fence around it, you can sit at the entrance or you can sit inside. Not sure how big the inside is but there were lots of people going in.

All mzungu (whites) and no locals except the servers. That's not the fault of the restaurant but it took away some of the pleasure for me. That's just my thing! Little Donkey is worth finding!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank China_Kimmi
Kenya
“Really good”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

food is great and prices are quite affordable. It's location is a little weird but once you get in, you'll b really impressed.

• Visited August 2013