“An enjoyable trip”

Add it.
Uganda Bicycle
Ranked #52 of 154 Outdoor Activities in Kampala
More attraction details
Owner description: The tour was developed by Uganda Bicycle Ltd., We have combined recreation with the highest safety standards, as our top priority. Therefore any healthy person who can ride a bicycle can join the tour.During the trip, which is limited to a maximum of 8 people per group, get to see the contrasts that Uganda has to offer. We visit local shops where they make Ugandan arts & crafts. Take a short boat trip in a longtail boat on Victoria lake and see luxurious villas and apartments side by side with poor shacks where people live.We visit local schools before riding through the greenest area of Kampala. There you might even recognize some of the plants you have at home, only here they are much bigger. During the trip we stop every hour for a short rest and to provide you with soft drinks or water. Halfway through the trip we provide a small local snack in a local restaurant.Book this trip in advance as availability is limited!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“An enjoyable trip”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I had a great bicycle tour around Lake Victoria with Ausmani. Only being in Uganda for a short time, it was a good way to get a taste of the real Uganda by observing how people live their lives. I also enjoyed trying some of the local foods, including grasshopper, which was delicious. Your guide will look after you, and provide you with plenty of food and drink.

The scenery around Lake Victoria was pretty cool and I enjoyed looking around the local market and school. As the sightseeing in Kampala is pretty underwhelming, I highly encourage fellow travellers to take this tour as an alternative. You will enjoy it!

Visited January 2013

Toronto, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Respite from a busy city”
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

This was a Great break from the hussle- bussle of Kampala. I enjoyed the exercise, the route, and the hospitality of the guide. The trip includes a boat ride on lake Victoria and a visit with the guide in his own home. It thankfully avoids tourist nonsense. The food was good, the guide interesting, as is the owner Bert. Well worth the time, a great window on African life.

Kampala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“No better way to spend a Sunday!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Yesterday I had one of the greatest days that I have spent in my time living in Kampala. I am now into my third year and I am a little sad that I have only just found out about Bert's cycle tours. What a great way to see Kampala and the local area.

I and a group of friends wanted to do something and see something a little different and asked Bert if he could accomodate that. He of course said "Sure!"

He arranged for us a new route and we were his first group of paying customers to use it.

I must say that it was fantastic. We started out making our way down to Gaba where we boarded a small boat and were then deposited on a landing point about 10 minutes boat ride away. On the other side we rode around what seemed to me to be almost perfect countryside. Totaly unspoilt and lots of friendly locals who mostly appeared to have barely ever seen the likes of us around before. Cries of 'Hello Muzungu' followed us and I lost count of the number of happy and excited children I waved at after only 10 minutes cycling. We continued on through small villages and a tiny town and then back down to the waterfront after about 20km or so gentle ride. At the waterfront we were met by the same boatman who dropped us off and we had a great boat journey back through a 1.5km or so channel through the papyrus with excellent bird watching. We then continued straight across the lake and finished off at the 'Yellow Haven' where we had a great little BBQ.

As I have already said, I had a great day and saw a side of the local area that I have not seen before. What amazed me most was how rural it felt and we were only a short boat ride and cycle outside of Kampala.

Well done to Bert who has set up what I consider to be a 'MUST DO' activity for any short term visitors and long stay residents alike.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank DanielSmithKampala
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great day out in Kampala......No need to be a Bradley Wiggins!!”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

As a resident of Kampala I am always looking for activities to do. Weekends can be a bit challenging for "out of the ordinary"... I contacted Uganda cycles and was offered a range of tours... The legs being rather creaky I took Bert's advice and signed up for a 4 hour "Tour de Gabba.". This was a gentle peddle through the lanes that rim Lake Victoria and a boat trip across the lake stopping off at various points including the fruit seller, a school and the fish market at Gabba.

Bert was a great host ensuring that the bike was set up for me, giving good safety advice and led me out of the traffic and onto fairly quiet lanes. Having lived here for while I experienced and saw a different perspective of kampala life that you cannot get from a car.

I was really impressed by the way that the tour benefits the stop off spots and that the tours have an impact on the people that Bert engages with.

The trip on the long boat allowed me to see Kampala from offshore and a good break from the cycling.

There are lots of high end tours in Uganda but Bert is a new breed of operator offering great value experiences that show a different slice of Kampala/Uganda and I would recommend this to local or drop in tourists alike. it will be on my intinery when I have my family and friends over.

Bradley Wiggins ...... Do not worry I will not be challenging your yellow jersey ..... However a great experience and has even made think about getting down to the cycle shop and getting my own bike!

Visited August 2012