“Great place to stay and wonderful hospitality”
Review of Hotel Acacia City

Hotel Acacia City
Ranked #15 of 204 Kampala B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to stay and wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a few nights in March and April 2014. Not only is the location great, but the rooms are clean and well priced, and the hospitality cannot be beat! I came straight to Kampala Premier Inn from the airport ... arriving in the middle of the night. Even though I did not have a room reserved until the following evening, they stayed up with me, and even made me breakfast BEFORE I ever checked in. Truly a great place run by great people!

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Although it's in a central location, this hotel is about twice as expensive as it should be. The room was decent sized, the bed fairly comfortable, and there's a hot water heater and breakfast. However, you can find the same comforts for $20-25 just up the road at the Mulago Hospital Guesthouse (plus screens on the windows to keep the mosquitoes out, a fairly basic feature that the Kampala Premier Inn lacks). Moreover, when I paid $90 for the room with a $100 bill, it took them 3 days to come up with the balance. In the end, they gave me shillings, which was fine, but they insisted on giving me an absurdly bad rate!

In short, this hotel is over-priced for the mediocre service it provides, with management that insists on screwing their guests on the bill. Not worth staying here if you can avoid it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J_Ro_Zinj
Moshi, Tanzania
Reviewed 16 December 2013

in October and November of 2013 I spent a little over a month in Kampala, and on the most part spent it while staying here.
There is nothing remarkable about the building, if anything it quite inconspicuous, were in not for a sign that tell you that you've arrived. It's a small hotel in a noisy, fast (often bordering on crazy) city. Essentially there is nothing about the buildings themselves that would have you excited. It's the people that work there.
The staff that we met there were an absolute delight. There are friendly, talkative, concerned. Simply wonderful. If you're more into the, "good morning sir/madam, good afternoon, goodnight" kind of indifferent attitude, it will be a comfortable place for you to stay, but if you love to interact with your hosts, have laughs, learn some Luganda and forget about being homesick, then this is the place for you. On my trip we were a big troop of people (I mean like 60 people big) and so we stayed at multiple hotels around the city, and some were fancy hotels, but somehow it was our small hotel that the guys and gals would come to hang out on, and it's this little hotel where were had all our pizza/movie nights (there's a pizza place literally next door). For many of us it was the longest we had spent away from our homes, but the staff managed to make us feel welcome and appreciated for being there.
There are electricity problems in that area so the occasional power cut is inevitable during your stay (they have a backup inverter and generator, which somewhat helps), but it was an otherwise wonderful stay.
So if you're going to Kampala, would like to stay in a homey environment, I would definitely recommend it.
Hope you find this useful

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors have more natural light
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Palermo, Italy
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I spent in kampala premier inn 7 weeks. I can say it was like staying home. EVERYTHING excellent.
Perfect breakfast and very good rooms. The location is the best. You can find everything you need just acrossing the road.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank palmyra86
London
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at Premier in for a week whilst settling in to a new job and I couldn't have been in a better place. Josephine, the night manager, looked after me like I was her sister or child, she was there for every need and always made sure I was ok. She never pushed to be paid and would welcome me home from work with a huge warm smile. The breakfast was great and would keep me going for the rest of the day. My room was brilliant with piping hot water and always very clean. I had a great time there and will definitely be stay at Kampala Premier Inn the next time I am in Kampala.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
DRC
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 week, whilst looking for a house in Kamapla.
The staff could not be helpful enough and always went the extra mile.
Rooms are great, hot water, internet, breakfast and very reasonably priced.
Walkable to town, and Kisementi, which has cafes, shops, supermarkets and banks
Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenna_Lusaka
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed at the Kampala Premier Inn for 6 weeks while doing research at Makerere University College of Health Sciences in July/August 2013. I am giving the place an overall rating of average because, in my experience, there were extremely good aspects, not so good aspects, and really unpleasant aspects of staying there, which I will detail below.

The good:
* Location-- Within walking distance to Mulago Hospital and a lot of really nice supermarkets and restaurants in the Kisementi and Kololo districts. I was very relieved to not have to take the motorcycle or minibus taxis (both of which can be dangerous) to many places around Kampala.
* Value-- I stayed in the dorm room (reserved bunk bed in a shared room with 3 others), which ran at 40,000 UGS per night when I was there, and I also got a discount because I was staying for such a long time. For the location and amenities provided, this was the best value I could find for my stay.
* Amenities-- At the hotel, there is a really good free breakfast provided every morning (omelets, toast, tea/coffee, and juice), free wifi, and hot water for showers. There was also a TV in the room, but I never used it.
* Cleanliness-- The hotel was very clean and new-looking. I sometimes had to ask for toilet paper when it ran out in my room, but it was always provided. The common areas seemed to be cleaned every day, and my room was cleaned at least once a week (which was usually sufficient). The cleaning staff were very polite and friendly to me.
* Security-- I felt very secure at this hotel. There are walls topped with barbed wire around the perimeter and always a guard at the front gate. The guards were also very polite and friendly to me.

The bad:
* Power-- During my stay, the power went out at the hotel at least once a week, sometimes for days at a time. The longest period was 2 days with no power and no working generator. No power means no hot water, no internet, and no plugging in electronics. This was very annoying, especially when I was sick and having to get cold showers and cold, wet hair afterwards. Luckily, there are some cafes nearby where I could use plugs for electronics and free wifi for internet, but this was expensive since I had to buy things in the cafe. No refunds/discounts were ever offered by the hotel for the loss of amenities during these frequent outages.
* Internet-- The wifi was decent, but only worked when sitting in the dining room or patio area, and usually only when I was the only one using it! This meant any skype sessions were not private, and skype tended to overload/kill the connection in about 5-10 minutes anyway, especially if video was attempted. If there were other people trying to use the wifi at the same time, the speed was too slow to skype. The common areas were also where the staff was usually watching TV on high volume, so trying to concentrate on work or skype without lots of background noise was nearly impossible. Furthermore, there were several internet outages during my stay there, usually at least once a day, and sometimes for days at a time as well. I ended up buying an Orange data dongle for those times, and I felt I was not getting the full benefit of the "free wifi" promised.
* Hot water-- I found that if I wanted hot water for a shower in the early morning before work (6am), I had to put the water pressure super, super low to get it to be even warm. This was not so during the warmer parts of the day, but I needed to shower early so the lack of water pressure was annoying.
* Pests-- During my stay, I saw multiple mice in the common areas, and encountered ants and cockroaches in my room. When I was packing to leave, I even found roaches inside of my suitcase, so I'm really hoping that I did not bring them back to my previously pest-free apartment in the States!

The ugly:
* Service-- Let me preface this section by saying that I found most of the staff at the hotel very pleasant and cheerful. The co-owner, Hannah, was very nice in our correspondences over email before I arrived, and also the same in person; however, she only comes to the hotel during the middle of the day when I would be at work, so I did not see her very much at all.
When I arrived, I was shown my room and that was it. There was no welcome, no explanation of where anything was located, internet password, how to work the hot water, what time was breakfast, nada! So I was very confused for the first couple of days, and actually found more help from the other guests than the hotel staff. Most of the day staff members (Joyce, Marion, Rose, Simon, and Mark) were very friendly to me.

The night staff (hotel manager?), Josefina, however, was someone with whom I had issues. She is the one who keeps the accounts and deals with payments, and I found that every single time I went to pay for my room, there was some sort of disagreement which led to unpleasantness. This involved anything from telling me I could not get the discount I was promised because I didn't pay the whole amount upfront before I stayed the first night, to accusing me of trying to add more days to my trip to cheat them out of money, to really bizarre religious insults like "Do you trust in God?" and when I said yes, saying "No, I don't think you do." I'm not sure if it was because I am a young woman traveling by myself who she felt like she could bully or because the hotel was struggling with financial issues, but I did not find it appropriate to say the least, and it really made me feel uncomfortable during my stay. Josefina is a large, loud woman with an aggressive and intimidating manner, and nearly had me in tears multiple times during our forced interactions. Just because of this woman, I thought very seriously about finding another place to stay, but after not finding anything cheaper or in a better area, I opted to grin and bear it. I was not the only one who she was rude to; I met many other travelers staying in the dorm room who complained about her being "so mean" to them. She even yelled at me once for showing some of the new guests where the public restroom was in the hotel!! Even when I was just minding my own business, trying to use the internet in the dining room, she would approach me and try to get me to change to a more expensive room, and give her my clothes, shoes, and jewelry. I felt that I should not have had to deal with begging while in the hotel, nor have to explain my low socioeconomic status as a graduate student to get her to stop asking me for these things. Unfortunately, I was told that she is related to the owners of the hotel, so after writing this review, it is unlikely that she will be replaced at the hotel. It is my hope, however, that she might be able to learn some basic customer service skills to improve this negative experience for future guests.

Because of all the difficulties dealing with money issues and Josefina, I left for a short weekend trip, leaving the bed I had reserved and paid for empty, just thinking I would cut my losses and not try to get money back for it. When I returned, however, I found lots of dirt under the sheets of my bed, and upon asking my roommates, was told that they had let their friend sleep in my bed while I was gone. The hotel staff had no idea that this person had stayed in my bed, and so did not change the sheets. This was disturbing to me, not only that I paid for a bed that someone else had slept in for free, but that the security was such that the hotel staff did not realize this person was sleeping there! I asked for and received a refund for that night, but I sincerely hope the hotel staff figures out a way for this type of incident to be avoided in the future. If not for the dirt as evidence, I would have never known that it even happened!

Overall, I think this hotel is in a great location, looks great in appearance, and has the potential to be one of the best places to stay in Kampala if they improve upon some of the negative aspects that I experienced during my stay with them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank turelie26
KLAliving, General Manager at Hotel Acacia City, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad that you had an overall positive stay at KPI, however we are also very grateful for your honest feedback, so that we can continue to improve. We are already in the process of fixing some of the issues that you mentioned and glad that you brought others to our attention. It is so important for us to know how clients find their time with us so that we can make improvements. We hope that on your next visit you find necessary changes and also continue to enjoy the aspects of KPI that you found to be positive. Thank you again.