“Grand Imperial hotel Kampala”

Grand Imperial Hotel
Ranked #66 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very good hotel for family, very friendly staff with good breakfast. Good location and within city center, My family and friends enjoyed the stay and Hospitality.Good parking area and security for guest.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Grand Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Dear Aliasger,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us, we appreciate your kind words about the comfort, good food and friendly staff. we hope you come back again and have an excellent stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Grand Imperial Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I will start this review by admitting my bias - I like history and travel+history is perfect for me. The Grand Imperial in Kampala is almost 100 years old and is a good example of the British Empire in its hey day - lots of wood panelling, wide corridors and big leather sofas and armchairs. The bedrooms are large and although the plumbing has seen better days there was plenty of hot water, and the wi-fi worked perfectly. This hotel has seen better days (like the British Empire) but has loads of atmosphere.
The hotel's restaurant is taken over by a live band most nights but there is a separate bar and I never heard any noise in my room from the jollity downstairs. I ate dinner at the nearby Speke Hotel's Indian restaurant (5 minutes walk from the Imperial and just across from the Victoria Park and Sheraton Hotel). The hotel staff were polite and very helpful and it was easy to get a taxi or motorbike ride into any of the city's shopping malls. I would return to this hotel but you can see my bias from the words above.

Room Tip: Room 402 (first floor) is a large one.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank john s

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review with us, its though feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and where necessary improve on the services that we provide to our valuable guests. we are glad you had an great stay with us and We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This place is absolutely not recommendable. The interior is pretty gone and weird, the rooms are old as are the beds as is the bedding, and the clients appear to be more of the type that rents rooms for purposes other than sleeping well on a work trip. Bad recommendation, will not ever make the same mistake again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Volker H
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Grand Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2015

Dear Valker,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry that some of your experiences did not fully meet your expectations and for that, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Management continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we will take the appropriate corrective measures to address the highlighted lapses.

we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed here on route to Entebbe after a 31/2wk tour of Uganda but mainly because my mother grew up in Uganda and remembers running round the hotel. Check in was fine, furniture probably the same as my mothers day, staff seemed a little stressed! and not as helpful as they could have been but although dated the room was cleanish! Good breakfast but as impersonal as most city center hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Grand Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2015

Greetings Belinda,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service our staff strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel has an old colonial charm over it. I stayed here for a night when I missed my flight because of heavy traffic in Kampala. The room I had was very large, but the double bed was too small for me (1m95) so I slept diagonally. The central airco made more noise than cooling. Breakfast was nice in an open restaurant with a view of the roads around the hotel from a higher level. They had luggage storage where I could leave my bag from check-out time until I left for the airport in the evening. There is a decent and free WiFi internet system available.
In the evening there is good live music in the restaurant, which attracts a lot of people. The drawback it that at check-out they charged me 5% extra to pay by credit card, which they did not tell me when I checked in, and which also did not happen at the other hotels in Kampala where I stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Grand Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2015

We thank you for choosing our hotel, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, and we apologize for the AC noise, and we apologize for not letting you know about the 5% deduction on Credit card payments but that is the service charge on credit card payments and all hotels do charge it. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

As the other reviewers note this hotel is past its prime. Both the exterior and interior look tired. The front desk did not seemed to have gotten my reservation, done from their own website. I saw both the better rooms in the older wing and the newer rooms and paradoxically the newer, cheaper rooms seemed better quality. The quality of the toiletries were low. In both types of rooms the A/C hardly worked. There is a safe.

The reason why I had to leave after one day was the useless internet. Even though signal strength was fine, it was still basically unusable which must mean a horrible ISP. The front desk did not have a single map of the city when I asked for one. Their overall quality does not merit the prices they charge.

The breakfast was decent quality by African standards. Their location under the large awning of the hotel provided good atmosphere and good views of the street life below. Just outside the hotel there are various useful services such as money changers. The location right in downtown is very convenient with banks, a post office and book shops nearby.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Zoglets,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is the oldest hotel in Kampala and it shows... walking through the hallways makes you feel like you our going through the hallways of the Titanic... Everything screams old... that said it has a certain charm but definitely not worth the money they are asking... They accept all credit-cards, have wifi, breakfast is good, you are in the middle of down town Kampala. The rooms look very old but they have a nice big wide screen tv in it... The hotel is like taking a step back in the time machine... the pool looks weird and is displaced... They have hot water! Room service is good... But I wouldn't pay more then 80 dollars for a standard room...

Room Tip: Go for the basic room, not much difference with the deluxe room... try to bargain with the price...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo