Emin Pasha Hotel
US$243
US$171
US$161
Agoda.com
All reviewsboutique hotelfez restaurantsmall luxuryan oasiswonderful hotelbeautiful gardenmosquito netbusy kampalavisit kampalanice poolquiet placeenjoyed my stayspaugandanettedmeetingupmarket
Reviewed 22 February 2013

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. You feel as if you've walked in to the Garden of Eden. When I first checked in the staff were expecting me and already knew my name. I was taken to my large room (Room 5) and was welcomed by a personalized letter addressed to me by the Manager and fresh cookies.
The double bed was enclosed by a mosquito net, but the 'double bed' was actually two twin beds pushed together. The beds were very hard as well.
The room was furnished with a big plush chair, a desk, mini fridge, A/C, and TV (with about 20 stations). The WiFi in the rooms was also excellent, and free (thank you very much!).
The bathroom was also large and supplied with bath robe, slippers, shampoo, soap, and lotion. The shower was lovely (no tub).
All in all, Room 5 was lovely and large! That said, I left Kampala for a couple days and returned for one more night at Emin Pasha. This time I was placed in Room 9. It was tiny and the only place to watch television was on the bed (the chairs couldn't be moved because the room was too small). The bathroom was tiny as well and didn't have a shower (only a tub). If I stay here again I'll be sure to ask for Room 5. (Although I had a smaller room, it was the same price as the large one! It would have been nice to pay less as this place isn't cheap.)
The restaurant had delicious foods, but a bit limited. I would have liked to see a vegetarian main entree, for example. But the meals I did have were rich and delicious. They have a set menu for breakfast. Again, very good, but would have liked to have just a fruit option instead of all the heavier items.
The service was excellent. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.
I also would recommend the spa. I received a wonderful massage. Well worth the money! The pool area is also a must. I enjoyed a nice day by the pool before getting my massage. It was the perfect way to spend a Sunday.
It's also close to the middle of town, so while you'll still have to deal with Kampala traffic jams, maybe you'll spend less time in them because of the good location of Emin Pasha.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at Emin Pasha and hope to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Melssel
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Didn't stay here but made use of the spa day package they offer.

For 65,000 UGX you get:

- 25min back, arm and head massage
- 25k of food/drink from the restaurant (I.e a sandwich and a drink)
- use of the hotel pool all day

A great deal!

Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank James S
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Its not bad, but for that price, they can do a lot better. I stayed in December 2012 for 1 week.
The staff is very friendly but not very efficient. The restaurant is OK but nothing exceptional, the menu is very limited so don't use the restaurant every night and lunch. Breakfast is not good, they have a set menu and some sort of buffet (mainly bread and muffins). So you can't do the usual hotel BF mix.
Internet works fine, rooms are quite large and well equipped (had a coffee machine in my room) but the bed was very hard, I had terrible back pains every morning and I never have any issues with my back.
THEY CHARGE 7% FEE ON CREDIT CARDS !!! That's just crazy, not sure it's even legal. That is one good reason NOT to stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Carl B
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Had wanted to go here for dinner for a while since it looked nice and was described as Kampala's only boutique hotel, only to be utterly disappointed. The dinner, even though it looks great from the menu, just isn't it. The portions are small and things like the tiramisu dessert don't resemble what they are supposed to be at all. To top it off, once you get the bill you suddenly realize this place is way overpriced, easily twice or three times as expensive as similar restaurants where the food is better. Annoyingly, like some other up-scale places in Uganda do as well, they do not include the VAT and service charge in the menu prices, so be aware that there is an additional 25% coming to your bill. Not recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank VincentUG
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After loving the Spa & in particular the Massage Rooms and facilities, during long stays in Kampala in 2009, 2010, 2011, things went downhill in early 2012 after the HOTEL HAD SOLD, previously owned by Canadian/Ugandan People whose attention to cleanliness and details like filling up soap bottles, shampoo bottles and ensuring hot water in showers in Spa. Our visits in 2012 were disappointing and will surely affect the incomes of the massage therapists and spa attendants who will not be receiving our buisness due to not being able to have a hot shower or access the above ammenities due to the decline in attention to those details. In addition to the Spa the main lobby used to offer current reading material such as, The Eye, a tourist infomation publication so important to visitors. These are free to hotels and there was only one which they kept behind the counter, and all the mags. and books were at least 2 yrs. old and not of value. The attitude of the lobby staff had changed...they did not understand the need to have these reading materials available to guests. I cannot comment on the rooms as have not stayed as a guest but do know that the prices are extremely high and without hot water and previous services in place, that this wonderful old colonial hotel will go down in popularity. The washrooms available to dining guests were unclean and lacking in proper materials. The nightly live entertainment offered previously had been reduced to a couple of nights per week and the usual presence of the previous owners at meal times was noteably not there. One can only hope that reviews like this will be noted and a quality control person will be put into place before more customers like our group of 6 stop dining, swimming and partaking of spa services on a weekly basis.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business