“Not to be missed”

and 1 more site!
Emin Pasha Hotel
Ranked #17 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Emin Pasha is not just a hotel, it is an experience. Whether you are on business or using Kampala as a base for a tourism jaunt in East Africa, the Emin Pasha is just something you can not afford to miss. It isn't cheap, but it isn't outrageous either, but by African standards it is 7 star.

Said to be the location used as Idi Amin's home in the film "The Last King of Scotland", the hotel is colonial spledour in real time. The staff are young, bright, and helpful and when they say they will miss you when you leave, they actually mean it!

It is an oasis of peace and comfort, but done in its own way that bears no resemblance to global 5 star chain hotels.

The restaurant was something to look forward to each night. Although a very limited menu, the food is fresh, local, and magnificent, I don't often ask to meet the chef to thank him, but I did this time.

Book early before you leave for Uganda however, it is a small hotel and it has a huge reputation, if you don't book early you will miss out and that would be a dreadful shame, this is one of my all time favourite places to stay.

Room Tip: Just book early, even geting the worst room will be better than having to stay at a chain hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
MediaManager, Public Relations Manager at Emin Pasha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Its evident that you know much about our history here in Uganda.Thank you so much for taking time out to write such a kind review.You were very generous with your comments and we appreciate that.Emin Pasha Hotel is surely "Not to be missed".Cheers and pls visit with us again.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed in Emin Pasha on business. Would love to go back with the family. This is a boutique hotel with many cool touches, From the home made cake on arrival to freshly baked biscuits at tea time in each room and a small massage hit with an excellent masseuse- it is just perfect. If you get the right room - its an experience. I started with room no 5 ( see photos)- it was palatial with a large courtyard and plenty of space. On my second stay a few days later however I was given a tiny little room ( 23 - I think) and the water heating system collapsed - so i had no hot water for 2 days. Breakfast in the very open was surreal- gorgeous museli, preserves, eggs benedict- fruit- >I felt like a pasha. The bar is also outdoors and quaint - the drinks are ok. Dinner was like in many parts of east Africa-.quasi Indian cuisine. I enjoyed my stay- loved the various spaces for meeting and relaxing- so much nicer than a chain or regular 5 star.Strongly reccommend with the right room.

Room Tip: Room no 5 has its own courtyard. Ask for a larger room with a courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hello "Pasha" lol.Thank you so much for taking time out to write a review.We are glad you enjoyed staying with us.Pls visit with us whenever you are in Uganda.Cheers.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Had the 50 minutes signature massage... it was just perfect, and exactly what I needed. After the massage, I had the best shower I've had during my last 2 weeks in Kampala - the water was hot (for the duration of the entire shower!) and the water pressure was so good! It was absolutely heavenly. I will definitely go for another visit soon!

Before the massage, I sat in the hotel garden with a cold drink. It was peaceful and relaxing.

I haven't stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eika_1
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This place is incredible...I came here several times during my 3-month stay in Uganda, and every time I came it seemed like such an oasis...maybe it was because I had been roughing it volunteering in rural villages, but I think it was because this place truly is a gem. One evening I enjoyed a passionfruit & vodka martini on the rooftop lounge overlooking the beautiful sunset, and another evening I enjoyed Ugandan beef filet over a sweet potato and pea mash. The thing is that to this day, I still think about how incredible my stays at the Emin Pasha were. Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BenMed
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

This small hotel with lovely public rooms and outside sitting areas is a genuine alternative to the big smart hotels. The rooms are 'functional +' ie a bath with a shower attachment rather than a separate shower, stone floors. But comfortable beds, and well looked after by staff - the service was very attentive.
Good for business - near the centre of town and excellent wireless. OK food, but not amazing - at times a little slow to produce meals.
A little over priced, possibly, though still below the long established majors, which I guess is its target market

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank africaguy
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I had the pleasure to stay 5 nights in this boutique hotel, where I felt at home away from home. Very nice garden, excellent food, friendly staff and a very hands-on hotel manager (the secret of it all). It's really the place to stay when visiting Kampala. An oasis in the middle of the turmoil !

Room Tip: Room with direct access from the garden is perfect to access swimming pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 40KarenW
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I wanted to surprise my Hubby for our 1st anniversary.
Alissa (the receptionist) was such a great help she made sure i was comfortable with the location of the room and that i had a smile :) When we came to the hotel, i was surprised to see the room myself, they had flowers all over, chocolates and fruits it was just an amazing stay!
Very cozy and we enjoyed every bit of it!
Very helpful staff :)
Thanks guys and Alissa!

Room Tip: We had room 2 and it was pretty amazing
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple