“Wasn't what I expected”

Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Kampala, Uganda
“Wasn't what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I had reserved a room online through jovago and had booked one of the single cottages.

Check in was a nightmare. After three managers were called over and after a lot of whispering happened, I was reluctantly given my room key. No one at reception told me about the pool being out of service or anything about the wifi system and how to access it. Considering this was the first point of contact with anyone from the hotel, I wasn't impressed.

The room has the potential to be amazing. I liked the idea of a single cottage away and the private space but the room does not live up to anything that was described on the website. Even in the simplest of things, there was no water in the room, or tea/coffee facilities. The website said there was a bathtub in the room- there wasn't and also the TV signal was horrendous and I couldn't get reception on any of the channels.

It truly was peaceful and it's just a shame that the details and the interaction with the staff left me disappointed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hannah W
Amit_Sachdeva, Manager at Kabira Country Club, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Kabira Country Club. We appreciate your comments and efforts to highlight the point where you felt was in appropriate. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We have taken note of the lapses mentioned and we shall do the needful to ensure that your next visit will be a pleasant one. However, would like to add that we do have bathtubs in all the Studio rooms, suites & two/three bedroom cottages as advertised on our website. The one bedroom cottages are fitted with showers. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the ongoing refurbishment – our pool is now almost ready to be filled up!

Once again, thank you for your review. We look forward to serving you again.

Kind regards,

Amit Sachdeva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lovely oasis in Kampala. The staff are incredibly kind and helpful. It was very clean and comfortable. The food is good but the menu is a bit limited. The gym is fantastic. The bed was a bit too firm, though the rooms were nice. Well located. We will be recommending this to others at our company!

Room Tip: The villas near the tennis courts are not as nice, but are like self contained apartments. However...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Amit_Sachdeva, Manager at Kabira Country Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Kabira Country Club & for your online review on Tripadvisor.

Our constant effort at Kabira Country Club is to create a relaxing environment and offer efficient, warm, friendly and unobtrusive service to all our guests and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed most of our facilities.

Thank you once again for the detailed feedback and mentioning so many positive elements about the club. However, you did mention that the food variety in our restaurant was limited. We shall definitely speak to our head chef to look into it & we hope that next time the food choice would be up to your liking.

Once again we thank you for your comments & look forward to welcoming you back.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Happy Customer

Found this hotel to be a great location for our business trip. Stayed in a Suite with kitchen, refrigerator and separate sitting area. The place was clean and functional. Reception staff was very helpful. We were able to check in at 10 am with no extra cost. Hot breakfast was excellent but can do better with slightly more variety on cold dishes. The dinner menu has large selection and variety. Wi-fi in the restaurant was fast and reliable. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Suites are the best
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Kabira Country Club & for your online review.

It gives us great pleasure to read your fantastic feedback and learn that all aspects of your stay, particularly the service of our team members were met to your expectations.

We are grateful for your kind recognition & thanks for sharing your delightful experience on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I' ve just spent 4 days at this hotel attending a training conference. Though I did not sleep at the hotel but spent the entire day here. Few of our colleagues from overseas stayed here and had no complaints. Our conference hall was well equipped and spacious with plenty of natural light option. My guest were happy with audio video service and the internet. One day we had a problem with the projector but the technical staff rectified the situation immediately. The tea breaks were on time and lunch was good with option. The staffs response was attentive and fast. The area was clean with plenty of parking. Overall positive experience.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your glowing comments & appreciation of every little detail. My team and I are very proud to be bestowed with such a positive and detailed review on tripadvisor. We are glad that our staff was able to perform at their highest throughout all facilities and that we were able to ensure a wonderful time at the hotel for you.

Once again we thank you for your comments & look forward to welcoming you back.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I went for dinner the other night and was surprised but how good the food was. I generally do not think to go to the club for food.
This time I went for a romantic date night and tried the tereyaki burger. My partner had the paneer pizza.
The service was good and friendly. We waited the right amount of time for our food. The place is very private and quiet. There is a bar with sports tvs however this did not distrupt our evening.
Overall a good experience and well worth considering for dinner again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Amit_Sachdeva, Manager at Kabira Country Club, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your heart warming compliments and review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed our services as well as our food at the restaurant.

We surely look forward to welcome you again to enjoy our wonderful food and services from our well trained and professional staff.

Kind Regards,

Amit Sachdeva,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

If this hotel was $100 a night, I would have been perfectly satisfied. But at $180/night for a studio plus a 5% credit card surcharge (who does that?) it was terrible value for the experience offered. The hotel reminds me a lot of Colosseum in Dar es Salaam - conveniently located, good gym options, but poorly maintained rooms and poorly trained staff. It seemed like most of the people on the property were using the gym, with very few hotel guests over the weekend.

The property needs a major upgrade. Perhaps they are starting this? The main pool was closed for renovations. The owners have several luxury SUVs and sports cars with vanity plates parked in front of the entrance. Perhaps they should stop splurging on toys and put some money into the rooms instead.

The hotel does not have electronic room keys. You use an old-fashioned key attached to a giant Kabira Country Club piece of metal. The internet was tremendously spotty and was down or non-functional most of the time. The staff just didn't care about serving you. I asked multiple times to have a technician come and open the room safe. They never managed it. The Indian manager just didn't care and seemed to expect things not to work. The front desk attendant forgot to give me the passwords for the WIFI around the hotel, and when I went back to ask he said "Oh, I didn't think you wanted to use that."

I did enjoy the balcony off my room. You had a nice view over the hills, although it was quite loud with the busy road next to the hotel. The noise was not an issue if you kept the balcony door closed, it was well sound-proofed. Personally, I far prefer sleeping with a sheet. Kabira is one of the hotels in the region that only puts a duvet on the bed. This doesn't make sense to me in a semi-tropical setting. It's hard to regulate the temperature for sleeping when you either use a heavy duvet and put the A/C on, or just sleep on top of the bed and skip the A/C. I did not feel comfortable leaving the door open for fresh air, as the balconies are all connected to one another and someone could easy go from room to room that way, and I was just on the first floor.

In summary, the hotel was mediocre. It was out-dated with many flaws, but it is similar to many of the other hotels in the region in that regard. If it was less expensive, I could have tolerated all of that.

Dear Guest,

Once again, thank you for your review. We look forward to serving you again.

Kind regards,

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My week at the Kabira Country Club was great. The staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a wide range of items, including a full Indian menu.

The gym was top notch, but I found it odd that the pool was in the center courtyard of the hotel which did not provide any privacy for those who are self conscience about being in a swimming costume around strangers. Also, the main website gives the impression that all rooms are suites which, is not the case. However the standard room was comfortable with a small balcony.

Overall, great hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Amit_Sachdeva, Manager at Kabira Country Club, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Guest,

My team joins me in thanking you for your kind appreciation of the overall hotel quality on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read your detailed review of our services and am very happy that the experience met with your expectations. However please accept our apologies if the website gives any wrong impression about the category of rooms. We have 5 different categories of rooms, suites & cottages available for the guests and on our website we have tried to classify them with the different room size, facilities & tariff.

Once again, thank you so much for staying with us & recommending our hotel. We are truly privileged to have served you and look forward to welcoming you again.