“Excellent hotel, if you can afford it!”

Kampala Serena Hotel
Ranked #2 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in in sub-Saharan Africa. The staff is consistently friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurants is fresh and delicious. The rooms are large and there is a nice big desk to work from as well. The bathrooms are large with separate walk-in shower and tub, and two sinks. My only complaint would be the bed...I thought it was a little stiff but to each their own, i guess! The balcony is also nice, although i never really sat out there.

They also have a very nice gym facility with new equipment (both free-weights and cardio) and an equally impressive pool area.

The hotel is a little expensive, but its certainly worth it.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in a room that faces the garden.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Eric D
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Eric D,

Thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your resent visit to Kampala and for taking the time to write such a thorough rave review of our property and service!

We are truly honored and delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find our property that exceptional in all ways. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Kindly accept our apologies for the discomfort the mattress may have caused you. At your convenience, kindly send me a private message inbox with your full name so that we can update your profile and provide you with a softer option or your preferred choice during your next visit.

Thank you very much once again for your amazing review/recommendation and for your patronage of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. It will be a pleasure hosting you.

There are newer reviews for Kampala Serena Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had a 5 star stay last week. Glorious views and busy nights. The street right outside the hotel is busied by sex workers so it is wise not to move with your cash in the pocket. Hahaha lol
But please keep your prices low! Reasonably.

Room Tip: All views are spectacular. Doesn't matter where!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Rach2626

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your recent visit to Kampala and for sparing time to send us your invaluable comments and rave review of our property and service!

We express regret for the way you felt about our pricing; we however have very competitive pricing as compared to the other hotels in the same segment. Nonetheless, Management always ensures to guarantees value for your money through offering a superior product and the very best of the Serena Hospitality.

With regard to your comment about the “Ladies of the night”, we apologize for the inconvenience their presence may have caused you. We have tried to work with the City Council Authorities to manage the challenge but we generally don’t have much control over their operations. We however have tried to control their Hotel entry and access to the guest.

We thank you very much for your patronage of our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kampala Serena Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed there only for a night. It is a great place. A blend of old world charm and contemporary facilities. The breakfast was splendid. The grounds and kandscaping was very very pleasant and relaxing. The tariff though is through thd roof. Don't know why. ...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dayanidhi

Dear Dayanidhi

We express regret for the way you felt about our pricing; we however have very competitive pricing as compared to the other hotels in the same segment. Being a five star brand, member of the Leading Hotels of the world and a devout member of a number of local labor/employee unions, there are certain standards we are required to conform to which affect our operational cost in turn heavily determining our cost of sales. Nonetheless, Management always ensures to guarantees value for your money through offering a superior product and the very best of the Serena Hospitality.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Serena is my favourite hotel in Kampala and I have now been to essentially all the higher-end options.

This was my first actual stay at Serena although I had previously visited their Explorers Italian restaurant, which I thoroughly enjoyed (so much so that I decided to actually stay here this time for part of our stay).

The grounds are very pleasant and well maintained and I loved the huge pool. Drinks by the pond were enjoyable (although often crowded).

Rooms are nice although not exceptional by world standards, but certainly more pleasant than other Kampala hotels. The public areas of the hotel are well-decorated and well-maintained, even with interesting art work in the hallways that I enjoyed.

Like all the top Kampala hotels, security is in evidence when you come into the grounds. The difference at Serena is security seems a little more friendly, but more importantly they seem to actually be doing their job to keep the place secure - paying proper attention to vehicle checks, X-rays and metal detectors where other hotels this sometimes seems to be more for show (e.g. if a metal detector goes off there is often no follow-up action). While I don't really like seeing guys wandering around with large guns, Serena does end up feeling like a safe haven within Kampala.

We had an airport pickup arranged by the hotel and the driver (Dennis I think?) was probably the best I have had in Kampala (out of perhaps 50 taxi/hotel car rides): confident and assertive but a safe driver who checked in with us a few times to make sure were comfortable.

One downside on arrival was that although checkin time was 3 pm, and the hotel clearly knew our arrival time since they met us at the airport, our room was not ready when we arrived. We did at least get some complimentary soft drink at the outdoor bar, but after long flights we would have preferred to just get straight into the room and shower and rest.

I enjoyed dinner at the Explorers restaurant again - service not at the same level as I had on my 2013 trip to Uganda (which was truly exceptional) but still very good. And great Italian food, always a tough choice between pizza, mezze plates, good pastas and solid main courses. As usual we ended up with a bit of everything and enjoyed it all.

By comparison, the Lakes restaurant is usually buffet and is a bit mediocre for both food and service, but we ate there when we couldn't get into Explorers because it was full.

Serena is one of my favourite places in Uganda and feels like home - safe, good meals (at Explorers) and things just work - Internet is reliable (by Ugandan standards), copious free bottled drinking water in the room, and generally good staff. Serena also can be relied on to go the extra mile - the concierge was very helpful before and upon my arrival in helping me to get a new business suit at short notice after I manage to leave some of my luggage behind in Singapore.

I definitely hope to return to Serena and would in fact make it our default company hotel to use in Kampala once we can afford it. For now we will probably enjoy an occasional indulgence again here but keep staying at Sheraton for reasonably predictable service at a lower rate.

At least you can see what you are paying for at Serena and I thoroughly recommend it if you can afford the room rates, whether for business or pleasure. At the very least, enjoy a good Italian meal at Explorers (just don't take the last table on a night I am looking for a booking there!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MisterPugz

Dear MisterPugz,

Thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your resent visit to Kampala and for sparing precious time to send us your detailed invaluable commentary /rating of our service and product. We are truly honored and delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us particularly the Explorer Restaurant, the warmth of the staff and the general property outlay as reflected in your uploaded pictures.

I would also like to extend my appreciation to you for your recommendation of our entire team but most especially Mr. David Buyinza the driver. I shall ensure to share this with him and the team as I believe they will be very motivated by your positive recognition.

Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service as noted in your comment about the delayed check in and the varied service at the Explorer Restaurant from what you expected. Your valued feedback surely goes a long way in ensuring that the quality of the service is constantly checked so I have shared the same with the team responsible to take corrective action so as to minimize the re-occurrence of similar service glitches.

Thank you very much once again for your amazing review/recommendation and for your patronage of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for it will be a pleasure hosting you.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My first trip to Kampala for business and stayed at Serena, even though I am a hard to impress person and the biggest critic ever! Serena melted me down! From their gorgeous hotel to their polite staff, their magical Spa rooms and fantastic massage therapies at very affordable prices! The rooms are sound proof and very comfortably managed to suit anyone’s needs (with everything found in any and every home and over) and beautiful sceneries over the balcony. Delicious variety in food. For me an overall magical experience….!!

Room Tip: finish your day with a steam
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Satnam K

Thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your recent visit to Kampala and for sparing time to send us your invaluable comments and rave review of our property and service!

What a delight it was to read your amazing review; we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Best Business hotel in Uganda!
First of all great staff! Genuinely engaging, from the waiters at breakfast to the concierge & doorman.
Innovative. I like their breakfast detox shots. Proximity to clients. Excellent sound proof rooms & gym facility. You also get to meet a lot of influential contacts at Serena.

Great for the business traveller!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear FRariewa,

Thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your recent visit to Uganda and for taking the time to write the above invaluable remarks and rave review of our property and service!

We are truly honored and very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the property outlay and generally the guest amenities offered.

I would also like to extend my appreciation for your recommendation of our team, I shall ensure to share this with them as I believe they will be very motivated by your positive recognition

Thank you very much for your patronage of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very nice place to be but only few comments.. The location is not exactly good as there is lot of of traffic while getting out or in at some times. Although it's very clean, the staff needs to be more friendly with customers otherwise everything else is quite nice

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Meghv999

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you very much for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your recent visit to Kampala and for sparing time to send us your invaluable comments and rave review of our property and service!

I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience the flow of traffic may have caused you on some of the days you stayed with us. The Serena Hotels have always endeavored to provide and maintain the high level of security for all our guests so in the process, the queues get lengthy at times. However there is always security presence to ensure every guest’s safety.

With regards to your feedback on pricing; we have very competitive pricing as compared to the other hotels in the same segment however, Management guarantees value for your money through the superior product offered and the best of the Serena Hospitality.