“Lovely home away from home with a French touch”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Hotel Le Bougainviller
Ranked #23 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Somerset West, South Africa
“Lovely home away from home with a French touch”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Love it here, I travel a lot in East Africa for my work and I just so had it with staying in big chain hotels...all four stars+ but in general they do not have the personal touch.
When I go to Bougainville however (I usually only visit Kampala once a year) it's like coming home, the staff is friendly, welcoming and helpful, the little restaurant next to the pool is excellent, the breakfast tasty...I'll be back!
Oh, and not to forget I think it's very good value for money, spacious rooms, WiFi and breakfast included, for much less than what you would pay in a 'normal' hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in various ones, they were all fine but some tend to get less sunlight than others so...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My first trip back to this hotel for 3 years (usually stay at Protea or Kabira), and things seems to have slipped.My"suite" was more of a cave, no windows, just sliding doors, so no light and very dark - bad for me, good for the mosquitoes and other insects who happily devoured me. Fittings cheap and towels and linen horrible.
Please be warned, unlike every other hotel in Kampala where one or two bottles of water are provided gratis you are required to pay here. When i complained and tried to leave without paying the $8 i was ordered to pay by a very angry french owner and my driver (i promise) held at gunpoint. Incident has been reported of course, but either way probably not the best customer relations... needless to say, i wont be going back - and fellow travellers, i advise the same! Food is good though...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriel F

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Stayed here for a week in June 2011 and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel makes you think of Swiss/rustic/campus - all rooms have their own external access, central courtyards on both sides of the road, rooms are large, strong and reliable wi-fi signal, good breakfast, courteous staff, friendly, personal laundry service. The restaurant is very good.

Location is not downtown, but only about 15 minutes by taxi depending upon traffic. The neighbourhood is accessible once you know your way around with an easy walk to the village through a local community.

I usually stay closer to the center (Sheraton, etc.) but will stay here again. Good memories because of the charm.

Room Tip: Some rooms seemed quite dark. I checked a few because we will have more staff traveling to Kampala.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

What a fantastic place. Spotless, friendly staff, great food, lovely setting, good bar, strong and free wifi, air con, excellent en-suite facilities. Perfect. Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Kampala. The staff clean the room from top to bottom every day, mopping the floors and making it look immaculate. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I had room 30 across the road from the main block. Nice and quiet, although there is a dog that gets...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I spent 5 nights here in October 2011. It is true that the rooms are a little dark (well the two I was in) but I found the staff friendlier than other reviewers. They have wifi that worked in the rooms I was in and there is a small restaurant, mainly for guests that offers French-style plates - the grilled fish fillet was a favourite. Perhaps the weirdest thing about the hotel is that the owner, a surly French monsieur is constantly present but never ever greets or talks to guests...perhaps it's a French thing, n'est pas?

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed here for five nights. The pros: the room and the grounds of the hotel are beautiful. There are several cons. The lighting in the room was too dim. The bathroom had only a tub with a handheld showerhead. (When will hotels in Africa learn that most adults don't want to take a sitting shower?!?) I killed over twenty cockroaches during my stay. Service at the front desk is generally indifferent. After two disappointing dinners at the hotel restaurant, I decided to order pizza from a nearby restaurant. My cellphone was broken so I called the front desk to ask how to dial a local number from the phone in my room. The receptionist told me that it is not possible; the receptionist must make all calls and then transfer them to the room. She told me that she couldn't place my call because she was busy checking in a guest and that she would call me back. I waited 15 minutes and called her again. She told me that she had forgotten and wasn't at all apologetic. The exact same thing happened the following night. The service at the main restaurant is equally apathetic. The service in the breakfast restaurant is slightly better. Breakfast is decent, although your only options are various egg preparations. The omlettes are oily and salty.

The neighborhood can be a bit noisy at night, so bring a pair of earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I spent approximately 5 nights at this hotel over a two-week period and stayed in 2 different rooms during my trip. I arrived in the middle of the night due to delayed flights and the nigh guard was friendly and helpful. I stayed in room 23, which was spacious and clean BUT EXTREMELY DARK!!! Even during the bright daylight, I could barely see anything in my room. The tiny lights by the bed and desk do not help at all. I wanted to keep the curtains open wide to get sunlight in but the way the room is built, the sunlight dies/stops before getting into the room. It was very difficult to pack, read, get around. The same problem was true with room 25. It wasn't set as far back from the main path so I thought it might be brighter. But I was wrong.

The morning breakfast is good but very repetitive. Good fruit and tea. Decent eggs and toast. But the same thing every single day.

The staff is the most disappointing part of this hotel. The girls at the front desk are 100% unfriendly, never smile, don't want to be helpful, and don't typically have answers to fairly simple questions. Ugandans are typically very friendly and outgoing so this was surprising. The worst person I encountered at the Bougainviller was the hostess for the restaurant. A white woman with large dark hair. The common area in the "main" hotel building is being renovated so there is no where to sit and work at the moment. My colleague and I were sent across the street to the restaurant patio to sick, work and eat our grocery story-bought lunch. The woman was very upset about this and told us we couldn't sit there and work if we wanted to eat our break and cheese and juice. We explained the common area in the hotel was under construction and we had nowhere else to go. She said "why not eat in your rooms?" Well, if my room wasn't completely dark and unwelcoming, I would! She finally relented and we ate in the garden patio area. She seemed pissed the whole time. I will say that the man who brought my bags to my room, Alex, was quite pleasant and friendly, as most Ugandans are. And the guards were always helpful finding taxis and with directions.

The hot water was touch-and-go. Sometimes extremely hot but only for a minute or two and other times no hot water at all. It made washing my long hair frustrating. But the bathrooms were very clean and new, which was nice. They Bougainviller claims to have a pool. THIS IS A LIE. There is a large "hole" with water in it that hasn't been cleaned this season and is dark green and dirty. There is no way anyone who isn't a mouse could swim in this puddle. It should not be marketed as a pool. Internet was a huge problem for us as it went in and out the entire time we stayed there. There was a problem in the neighborhood so it's not Bougainviller's fault but it was a problem overall.

The beds have mosquito nets, which is a plus for travelers. And the garden patio is a nice place to sit.

Credit card payments add on 5%, like many places in Africa. An airport pickup for one person is $40 USD. Getting a shirt ironed costs $1 USD. (They don't let you use the iron yourself, which I found strange.)

Hope this is helpful!