Hotel Le Bougainviller
  • Breakfast included
US$171
US$161
Jumia Travel
All reviewsfrench touchbusiness daysincluded breakfast ispepper steakan oasisfive nightsrooms are spacioussmall hotelstayed for nightsinternetafricanetsannexfurnishingsgreenery
Reviewed 19 February 2013

the hotel is very quaint and feels like a little piece of France in Uganda, the staff are very competent and knowledgeable. There are supermarkets within walking distance and the food is excellent. I particularly enjoyed the little courtyard garden off the restaurant with vines and lights, it was truly restful after a hot, hard days' work

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I have stayed in Le Bougainvillier for the period of three days and I have encoutered the affection and friendship from the owner to the least cleaner.
The climate will remind you of being at home and you think to be back for the service rended to the clients. The personnel is professional and treat thye client with all respect.
As long as I have to be at Kampala, Le Boungainviller will always be my home.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for ten days on a business trip. It is, as described in another review, an oasis in the city. You walk through the doors and enter a different world, away from the dusty hustle and bustle of an African city.
I found the owner to be friendly and all the staff, without exception, to be very friendly and only to willing to help make my stay more comfortable.
I was there over a weekend, and asked the front desk to help me with touristy day trips. The lady was only too happy to help and made suggestions and gave plenty of guidance. She then made phone calls to arrange a driver/guide for me.
The bottled water in the fridge in my room was charged for, but it cost US$1 and not 8 as claimed in a previous review. This is an average price for bottled water in Africa and I was quite happy to pay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rory G
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I've stayed at bougainviller several times in the past few years and have come to believe that it is the best value for money in town. It is such a struggle to find a place to stay in kla that is quiet, safe, clean, slightly luxurious, and has all the western amenities you want while staying in the "big city". I have stayed at other more expensive options in town (200 per night range) and am almost always disappointed in some way. I also love this hotel because there is a lovely quaint feeling you get wandering through the brick pathways and gardens. My only complaint is the service can leave a bit to be desired but the shower is high pressured and hot, the food is consistently good, the beer is cold, and the private patios in some of the rooms are a precious hideaway from the stresses out in the city. I will always recommend this place first when asked.

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor rooms on the restaurant side of the hotel, though the first floor rooms have sweet little patios to enjoy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This is my "home away from home" when I'm visiting Kampala, the hotel is a favourite with the company I work for.
The rates are good, the rooms are perfectly furnished for both business traveller and tourist alike, and it's something different from all those nameless atmosphere-less big chain hotels.
The Bougainviller offers spacious rooms divided in to two sections. Until now I had always stayed on the "pool side" of the hotel, but this was now the first time that I was on the "French village" side opposite the road.
Again very nicely done, you would swear you were in a small French village. The rooms are slightly smaller than on the "pool side" or at least mine (nr 33) was, but still generously big enough to have all the space you need.
I usually only always had breakfast while staying here, which is excellent with fresh fruit, toast, juice and a variety of egg dishes to chose from, but this time we finally ended up eating in "Le Bistro" as well, the hotel's restaurant.
Great food, all done with the special French touch, and great wines. If you're nice to the owner, Bruno, he might get you one of his special bottles.....

If I could think of anything that could need improvement it would only be the lighting on the "village" side of the hotel. I arrived late at night and nearly broke my neck on the stairs as I couldn't see the steps.
Apart from that nothing to complain, the wifi was working perfectly (and is for free/ included in the price) and I always had plenty of hot water to shower.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like, the "poolside" rooms are in general bigger and are closer to the breakfast restaurant, the "village side" rooms are closer to the lunch/dinner restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business