“We'll be back!”

Ranked #1 of 195 Kampala B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“We'll be back!”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My hubbie and I recently stayed here at the start and finish of 2 weeks of visiting family. It was absolutely the best place to chill out at both ends of our hols. The rooms are lovely, the water plentiful and the breakfast the best anywhere in Uganda. It's also a great place to meet other travellers,have a chat on the veranda and exchange information. The location is super for getting into the city easily and we really appreciated the pick up very late at night from Entebbe. Steven and his staff go out of their way to be accommodating and it really did feel like we were staying in a family environment. This is THE place to stay if you're in Kampala, forget faceless hotels and engage with Ugandan hospitality in a unique setting.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WoobyBird

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lilongwe, Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Memorable experience. tranquil, lovely gardens and friendly staff and the food was great! within easy easy access to restaurants, forex bureau and other small shops.

i visited Uganda from Malawi in March, 2013. Banda Inns provided a relaxed atmosphere for me after an intensive day at work or upon return from a few days field trip outside kampala.food was freshly cooked by friendly staff not forgetting the fresh fruit juice!

when i wanted to eat out i would easily access restaurants within a few minutes walking distance with colleagues. During weekends i would walk in the neighbourhood and later did some work if needed, on the pattio overlooking their beautiful gardens. Public transport, forex bureau and other small shops are also within minutes' walk.

Their free wifi provided excellent signal and i was able to easily access emails and skype call my friends and family back home.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Beatrice G
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Spent several nights recently at Banda Inns. We had two rooms in the main area of the guesthouse. Rooms were clean but were hot at night - the ceiling fans in both rooms gave very little relief at night. I suspect that the newer addition to Banda has more modern and better ventilated rooms. Bathrooms were decent, the one room with self contained bath did have a leaky shower and the toilet backed up (toilet was taken care of right away). I would stay there again but would specifically ask for a room in the new addition. (ours did not look anything like the photos posted by a previous guest). We only had breakfast there and it was decent, eggs fixed to order, nice selections of fruits and bread.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer addition.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

2 nights at this little haven in Kampala was not enough. It's in a peaceful suburb location with friendly staff and great facilities - clean rooms, seating area with TV, great wifi signal, and the best breakfast I had during my 2 weeks in Uganda in a lovely garden setting. I stayed in one of the rooms with shared bathroom and was so pleased with the large, spotlessly clean bathroom. I am not sure how many rooms share this bathroom but I imagine not many, I certainly never had to wait. And after losing my luggage I desperately needed some laundry done - it was taken at 10am and returned to me at 4pm all washed and dried that very same day. My only regret was not staying there for longer!

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
london uk
Reviewed 17 February 2013

my husband and I spent two weeks in kampala and banda inss was a perfect place for our holiday; excellent value for money, comfortable and beautiful gardens! the only thing I was missing were baked beans for breakfast

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
cape town
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I had to go to Kampala on business and the main client was within walking distance so he chose where I was to stay. If you need to be in the centre of all the NGO's and have a quiet spot this is it!!

It is a clean & comfortable spot with a garden setting. It is owner run, the breakfast is great. I tried a number of different dinners while staying there for the week and all were good.

There is a great coffee shop 5 mins walk away if you need a great cappuccino try Care Kawa.

There is unlimited free FAST wifi as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fundionafrica
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I've been visiting Kampala for the last 7 years and have stayed in two other hotels/guesthouses there - both very central. It was nice to be in Muyenga - a pleasant suburb - for a change.

I booked Banda Inns this time and stayed there for about a week. I could not have been happier with it and really enjoyed my time there. Nice, clean, tastefully decorated rooms, decent en suite with hot water, good service, friendly staff and guests. A really nice, relaxed and hospitable atmosphere has been created by the owners, who live on site and run a pretty tight ship. Free wifi. The house is lovely and the gardens are beautiful. There is a large balcony at the front with big, comfy sofas amongst the flowering tree tops - perfect for relaxing after a trip into town. Good breakfast every day that often left me too full for lunch. I had dinner there a couple of times too - delicious tilapia.

I was initially a bit worried about being less central than usual. I like to be able to go in and out of the centre easily without having to taxi everywhere. I was relieved to find public transport to be incredibly straightforward from very near the hotel. The matutus (locally called taxis, but holding 14 or more passengers) run regularly from the main road straight into central Kampala.
Near Banda Inns are some good dining options, such as Cafe Roma, Ethiopean Village Restaurant and Cafe Kawa. A Barclays bank with 24 hour ATM is nearby and an Italian supermarket.
I hope to be back!