“Thank you Reed Mat”

and 1 more site!
Reed Mat Lodge
Ranked #17 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Lusaka
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our 7th stay in Lusaka in the last 13 years. When our previous guest house owner retired in 2012 I had to find a guest house where I could bring my family as well as groups of visitors from the UK. Reed Mat was a great find. E mail responses were quick, accurate and informative. A great welcome from the staff and 'not a problem attitude' ensured our stay was very enjoyable and memorable. A good place to celebrate our 49th wedding aniversary with the xylophone dancers. Reed Mat is in a good location for those arriving from the airport or Eastern Zambia. It provides a haven of peace ,tranquility but above all security - very important to me as the organiser and leader of a group many being new to Africa let alone Zambia.
I can truly recommend Reed Mat Lodge to those who are on a set budget and require good, secure accommodation at very reasonable rates, no hidden extras, this is based on my experience of staying three nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. It will become my 'home from home in Lusaka'.
Thank you Joyce and your staff for all your help in providing us with excellent service in a good peaceful location.

Mike C
Dunster

Room Tip: The large house will suit families best, 4 bed rooms, 1 ensuite + 1 shower room. Good for self cater...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 August 2014

It was our first stay at the Reedmat Lodge in Lusaka but we really wished we had known of this place before. The airport shuttle collected us from the airport and on arriving at the lodge we immediately felt at home. We only stayed for one night but we decided to come back there after our three week journey in Zambia. No better place to start and end your visit to this beautiful country.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was my 5th stay at Reed Mat, leading groups of both students and adults. The improvements at Reed Mat over the past few years are noticeable. The rooms, although basic, are clean and the conveniences fine. Breakfast and dinner were included in our stay, and both were nutritious and in abundance - a cooked breakfast and 2 lovely evening meals of our choosing & including vegetables and a drink (soft). Tea & coffee were available throughout the day, and wifi available for those who needed it. Joyce, the owner, always made a point of visiting us to see if all was OK, and organised a fire pit for us in the evening. Previous stays have seen a local cultural group playing for us without extra charge. I am more than happy to bring groups to stay at Reed Mat as their 1st experience of Zambian hospitality. Keep up the improvements.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed for one night (16 of us) before traveling home to the UK after a month in Africa. We were greeted with one of the loveliest meals and then shown to our rooms which were comfy and cosy with hot showers!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The lodge sits in a nice neighborhood in Lusaka, is totally safe, cozy, and one immediately feels welcome. I fully recommend it. The interactions with the reservation desk were excellent, timely, immediate, and with great feedback. They even sent out a package for us via mail.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank martin w
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I booked this lodge for two nights during April. I was asked to pay 50% in advance which I was happy to do. I asked if both rooms had air conditioning and I was told they did.
We arrived at the Lodge to find a place totally different to the photos on their web page, it was a building site. We were offered the choice of one room with air conditioning that had a shower about 75cms wide a mosquito net that was to small for the double bed with no screens on the windows. The ceiling was falling in from the recent rains and the whole room had a musty and damp smell.
My daughter and niece were offered a choice of two rooms. One was piled high with dirty old mattresses and the other was a room that the windows and doors did not fit,non existent screens. The same collapsed ceiling covered in damp from the rains and tiny shower.
We decided we couldn't stay there.
Also the woman who greeted us was barely able to be friendly or helpful. She just seemed to want to talk with the builders who were on site.
Before anyone thinks I am a spoilt white man I just want to say I have been travelling to Zambia for 30 years and my family live there but this was by far the worst place I have been to for the money being asked.

Room Tip: Stay ay another Lodge as there many in the area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Zambialover
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My friend and I stayed here as part of our African trip.

We arrived at this hotel a day late, due to the TAZARA train derailing in Dar-es-Salaam, and that was around 22:00 hours, and due to a flight departing the next morning at 09:00, we only had time to sleep.
The chalets are laid out like a traditional African village, and the grounds are very well kept.
The room was nice inside, 2 beds, and the shower was nice and hot.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends