“Little Oasis”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lusaka
Wayside Guest House
Ranked #1 of 90 Lusaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at this little oasis guest house in late September 2011 for one night, before flying to Malawi. Having travelled by bus from Livingstone, our arrival into the city coincided with the pending general election result and notable tension in the city centre. Having safely arrived at Wayside, the warm welcome by Beverly and the delicious dinner was much appreciated. The manicured gardens provided an intriging and a relaxing atmosphere. The accommodation was also very comfortable. We had to leave early the next morning, so Beverly kindly arranged for our transport to the airport and made us breakfast. We would certainly return here to stay the next time we're in Lusaka.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed in August 2012 and it was just great. Beverly is one of the most gracious hosts I've ever met - always very concerned that everything is just right during your stay. Grounds are well maintained and the food is delicious. Rooms have television, air con, a safe, and good mosquito netting.

Power outages are a frequent problem in Lusaka, but Wayside has its own generator so there is no worry that you'll be left in the dark.

There's a 24-hour security guard and a wall surrounding the place, so I felt completely safe as a solo traveller.

Room Tip: Don't bring traveller's cheques - there's no bank in Zambia that will cash them.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed in the Wayside for 11 nights on a business trip to Zambia. A nice guest house about 7 km from the centre of Lusaka. With only 8 rooms you can be assured of personal attention and meeting other guests. The tropical garden is spacious and very well kept. The owners have thought about small things that really enhance comfort. There is ample space to work, the Internet is fast and always working. There are small heaters, for the cold winter evenings. Breakfast is good.The only drawback is that lunch and dinner are not/no longer provided, so without your own transport it can be a bit of a challenge to get food. The nearest shopping mall is about 2 km down the road, but a smaller shop is a few hundred meters. Needless to say that it is very quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MariaPaalman
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This guesthouse is certainly an oasis in the midst of a busy, crowded, noisy city. The rooms are dated, but very clean. The shower water is hot and plentiful. The surrounding gardens are beautiful and tranquil. There's even a pool, but the unheated water might be too cool for some. The staff are always smiling and very anxious to please. The owners, Beverley and Peter are extremely helpful and accomodating, offering advice and help when required. (one of our group needed a clinic, and Beverley gave us the name of her doctor and sent us there). Another time, Peter loaned us his vehicle to pick up some groceries and wine. (this was our second visit and we were staying for 2 weeks, so I don't think he would make this offer to everyone, but it just illustrates how far they are willing to go to be helpful).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank habitatbuilder
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I chose to stay at Wayside based on reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. Although the buildings are dated, they are immaculately clean. My room was like a suite, with a separate office space, and very well equipped: air conditioning; full package DSTV (which is a rarity!); my own table and verandah; and the widest range of bathroom amenities I've ever seen (including panados!) Beverley and her staff were welcoming but unobtrusive - and she even left me snacks and a glass of wine on my first day. My only gripe was that internet access in my room was a little intermittent - but on sitting in various places around the garden I think that was to do with the distance from the router. I will stay here again when in Lusaka.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank FrequentTravellerKV
Reviewed 7 January 2012

my family of five spent 2 nights at the wayside during our visit to Africa in Dec 2011. Beverly was extremely helpful in arranging transport from the airport to the wayside at a much cheaper rate than one could negoiate at the airport. the last thing you feel like doing is haggling with agressive taxi drivers after 20 hours of flying with tired and hungry kids. The rooms are simple, but clean and tidy. the gardens are beautiful and a welcome relief after driving around the filth of lusaka. mini fridges are stocked with bottled water and some snacks. mosquito nets are furnished as well as bug spray. Beverly also ordered a pizza and had it delivered to the wayside for us!! fantastic breakfast is served as well. max & bella the dogs are really cute too

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank sarosi1
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I had to stay in Lusaka for a week for work. I read a previous Trip Advisor review and chose the Wayside Guest House. It was brilliant! Beverley was very welcoming and helpful. The bungalow was lovely with good internet reception and facilities including my own kitchen and fridge. The ground were so beautiful if was so relaxing after the dreadful sights of poverty in the city. The food was good - thank you chef Nicholas. It all helped me do my work well. Thank you Beverley. I'd always stay there again if I needed to visit Lusaka.

Room Tip: All bungalows are lovely, some have good internet reception, all are in beautiful surroundings.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business