“Loved it!”

Ranked #1 of 45 Lusaka B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Arrived from early flight well before check in time and was greeted with smiles and help. I was able to store my bags until check in time. Lovely rooms and beautiful gardens , the staff were very helpful and the chef did great breakfasts. A real oasis in the Lusaka desert, The room was a good size with a great shower, there was a lovely terrace area outside my room where I could drink my coffee. The pool looked nice although I didn't use it! Beverley, the owner was around whenever needed.
I don't want to recommend it as then everybody will want to stay here!!!! But I have to!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I could not recommend a place more. Beverley the owner is a delight and an obviously dedicated gardener as her gardens prove. The staff are excellent and the cook puts together an English Breakfast to die for.
The rooms have been well thought out and many of the things you find wrong in many guesthouses and hotels in Zambia were not present. Doors fitted, mosquito nets hung correctly over the beds, showers worked well,toilets that flushed and furniture that wasn't broken.
Having travelled and lived in Zambia for thirty years this is by far the best value for money I have encountered in Zambia and I wish I had found it earlier in my life.
Love the dogs also.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good that I slept in and the room my daughter slept in also.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed 2 April 2013

After a long 10 hour slog from Lilongwe for an Easter Break, arriving at Wayside through after creeping through rush hour Lusaka traffic I felt instantly relaxed. The automatic gate opened to large extremely well maintained garden. We greeted warmly by all staff and the owners and given advice and help when sought. Arriving to a room with cold beer waiting for me after a long drive was a bonus!!! The rooms are quiet and well maintained, fans, fridges, TV, air con and beautiful views of the garden. Breakfast again was good and rounded off what was a very enjoyable experience. We stayed three nights and would highly recommend any one else travelling to Lusaka to stay her. Far nicer option and better value than some of the big hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom S
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at this little oasis guest house in late September 2011 for one night, before flying to Malawi. Having travelled by bus from Livingstone, our arrival into the city coincided with the pending general election result and notable tension in the city centre. Having safely arrived at Wayside, the warm welcome by Beverly and the delicious dinner was much appreciated. The manicured gardens provided an intriging and a relaxing atmosphere. The accommodation was also very comfortable. We had to leave early the next morning, so Beverly kindly arranged for our transport to the airport and made us breakfast. We would certainly return here to stay the next time we're in Lusaka.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed in August 2012 and it was just great. Beverly is one of the most gracious hosts I've ever met - always very concerned that everything is just right during your stay. Grounds are well maintained and the food is delicious. Rooms have television, air con, a safe, and good mosquito netting.

Power outages are a frequent problem in Lusaka, but Wayside has its own generator so there is no worry that you'll be left in the dark.

There's a 24-hour security guard and a wall surrounding the place, so I felt completely safe as a solo traveller.

Room Tip: Don't bring traveller's cheques - there's no bank in Zambia that will cash them.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris H
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed in the Wayside for 11 nights on a business trip to Zambia. A nice guest house about 7 km from the centre of Lusaka. With only 8 rooms you can be assured of personal attention and meeting other guests. The tropical garden is spacious and very well kept. The owners have thought about small things that really enhance comfort. There is ample space to work, the Internet is fast and always working. There are small heaters, for the cold winter evenings. Breakfast is good.The only drawback is that lunch and dinner are not/no longer provided, so without your own transport it can be a bit of a challenge to get food. The nearest shopping mall is about 2 km down the road, but a smaller shop is a few hundred meters. Needless to say that it is very quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MariaPaalman
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This guesthouse is certainly an oasis in the midst of a busy, crowded, noisy city. The rooms are dated, but very clean. The shower water is hot and plentiful. The surrounding gardens are beautiful and tranquil. There's even a pool, but the unheated water might be too cool for some. The staff are always smiling and very anxious to please. The owners, Beverley and Peter are extremely helpful and accomodating, offering advice and help when required. (one of our group needed a clinic, and Beverley gave us the name of her doctor and sent us there). Another time, Peter loaned us his vehicle to pick up some groceries and wine. (this was our second visit and we were staying for 2 weeks, so I don't think he would make this offer to everyone, but it just illustrates how far they are willing to go to be helpful).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends