“Good German food and a fun atmosphere”
Review of Gerritz - CLOSED

Gerritz
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone +260-97856040; Fax +260-255682 email: gerritz@microlink.zm
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I really enjoyed Gerritz,  and but not just because of the food, but also because the owners are a riot and made us feel very welcome. My colleagues and I went here for a lunch, and we were the only diners there. Usually being the only party in a restaurant makes me feel a bit awkward, but the owners came out and greeted us and we joked and had fun. There were dogs running around the place, and they even brought around a baby monkey. A baby monkey is an automatic +1 stars! (just kidding!)

I ordered the fried Camembert...which was excellent. And the chicken schnitzel reminded me of real German schnitzel. The pork schnitzel that someone else ordered was HUGE (and good).

However, I was a bit surprised by how much of the menu is NOT focused on German food. There is only two pages for German food, the rest is for random French (duck à l'orange) or Lebanese food. I didn't order any of the non-German food on the menu, but others in my party did and it wasn't great. The hummus was very watery and my colleague sent it back. The bread that came with the hummus was very oily.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Gerritz for the German food And the atmosphere, just stick to the German food!

1  Thank jg325
There are newer reviews for Gerritz

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Oh what a surprise!! Romantic place with juicy foods,fresh.Service was good but parking was a challenge

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Gerritz is in a nice villa, where red and orange hues dominate, set in a lovely garden space. The menu really does have something for everyone - carnivores won't be surprised by that, but the menu also features light meals of fish and chicken, and a very respectable vegetarian section (I've never seen a vegetarian schnitzel on any menu, for instance).

I had the Kässler pork chops on sauerkraut, which were excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to find other veggies on the plate as well, particularly carrots with an orange glaze and green beans with a light sauce (dill?). Before the meal came I enjoyed some very good bread - in a baguette shape, but not really crisp like a baguette - and a pleasant plate of tomato slices and thin strips of cheese, which was complimentary.

The one downer is that Gerritz does not serve German beer. The closest you can get geographically is Holland (Heineken) but check if they have Mosi Gold, which is not to be confused with Mosi Lager - it's more robust and malty, a premium beer designed to compete with Heineken and regional imports like Windhoek.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Have not been there recently but went there for a private party about 6 months ago. Often has theme nights and quiz nights so a social spot. Situated in a residential area

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Tried this German restaurant with work colleagues. The owner is very nice and even offered the use of his bedroom for diaper changes for our baby. He and his wife also have a pet monkey that they bring around for show.

We started with the quail and halloumi. The quail was ok but could have used some more seasoning. The halloumi was good but my wife found it a little overly salty. I had the brie-stuffed fillet steak with fig compote and sliced fried potatoes. Everything had a nice flavor. The highlight was my wife’s Hungarian goulash with spaetzle. It was delicious. Overall, nice dining experience with good food and a fun atmosphere.