“Perfect Hotel for a Business Trip to Lusaka”

Southern Sun Ridgeway
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Perfect Hotel for a Business Trip to Lusaka”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed at the Ridgeway for only 3 nights and found it be be perfectly suited for a short business stay. Have previously stayed at a few other similar hotels in neighboring countries and this more than matches up in terms of service, facilities, in house restaurant and so on. Beautiful courtyard by the restaurant, actually more of an enclosed pond, with birds, fish and a couple of small crocodiles!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Marius N, Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Southern Sun Ridgeway , we appreciate your feedback very much.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us , an we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Lusaka.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stopped in at the hotel for breakfast on the way to a business meeting just before the kitchen was meant to close. The chefs and waitrons happily kept all stations open until we completed our meal. The hotel itself from what I could see is clean and well kept. I loved the outside breakfast patio wrapped around a big pond filled with lillies and reeds and a number of beautiful chirping weaver birds building their nests amongst them. Very pretty and serene. While the service and surroundings were great, the food left a lot to be desired. No fresh fruit juice for breakfast? Cordials and concentrates? Terrible. Thin yoghurts packed with garish artificial colourants? Awful. Greasy sausages and bacon? Ghastly. What I can definitely vouch for though is the beautifully fresh cut fruit and the obviously quality filter cofffee. Unlikely that I'll go back again.

Room Tip: You may not want to choose rooms overlooking the pond and restaurant/ breakfast area as it tends to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

I am glad that you enjoyed the surroundings and the service during your breakfast visit , and please accept my apologies for the sub standard food that was experienced during breakfast. Your comments have been shared with our chef , and we will ensure that we improve on the offering.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I've used this hotel for business in the past but had not expected to see such a decline in standards given the price and increased competition. The hotel is at best, tired - musty smelling, room carpets old & stained, furniture unchanged from inception. Zambian service is normally friendly & efficient. Here, it was anything but. I ordered dinner from the restaurant which took forever and a steak ordered rare was closer to charcoal. When I told the waiter that the sauce was incorrect, he dipped his finger in it to taste & confirm that it was indeed the wrong one! The breakfast was passable but for $250, it was overpriced. At best, this is a $120 hotel. I'll stay at the Radisson next time!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Marius N, Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, 26 July 2014

Please accept my apologies for the poor level of service experienced , your comments are seen in an extremely serious light , and I can assure you that the necessary corrective measures will be taken to address these issues. These are certainly not the standards that we hold ourselves to.

It is always good to receive both positive and negative feedback as these allow us to address our guests concerns.

Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Have visited this hotel several times over the years and appreciate the consistency of high service and the ongoing efforts to improve the facility. The staff members are courteous and eager to respond to guest needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Lusaka

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The last week of my stay I noticed that I had bugs in my hotel room - namely ants and cockroaches. I informed the front desk of that fact, but the insecticide was only sprayed on that day that I reported the bugs. I know this because that evening when I came back I could still smell it but the other days I didn't. On my last day at the hotel, I woke up to a cockroach crawling on my face and back!!!
I was very disappointed because up to that point I had really enjoyed my stay, but I'm sorry, if you have roaches in your rooms that means the hotel is not clean; that's the only thing that attracts cockroaches. My organization does regular trips to Zambia and thus the Southern Sun regularly throughout the year, and I can't say that I'd recommend your hotel to anyone. I certainly wouldn't want to stay in a place where bugs were freely crawling around my room and on my bed!

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Marius N, Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, 24 July 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies for the incident with the insects in your room , we have a pest control program , and our public areas and rooms are treated on a regular basis. After your comments though , we will be doubling the amount of treatments.

I can assure you the problem will be addressed.

Kitwe
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Southern Sun gives you a perfect place to stay when you are in Lusaka for business. The wifi connection is not so bad, the rooms are comfy and have that working desk in case you need to work from there and the restaurant has a continental menu. You just can't go wrong.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Marius N, Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, 22 July 2014

I am glad that you enjoyed staying with us on your latest business trip , we are int he process of upgrading our WiFi , so I there will be an improvement soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here in transit twice. They try very hard. Staff are friendly and willing to help. The breakfast was good and a wide array of choices. The rooms are of average size and fitted out in a plain style but the beds are very comfortable. There is a safe in your room and there is a gym and a pool and both were of more than acceptable quality. If l was visiting Lusaka l would stay here again. It's located within a 5 km radius of most of what you need to see and do. The crocodile pond with the African weaver birds next to the restaurant was fun and provided a good source of entertainment

Room Tip: Try for the new wing
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us , and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Lusaka.