“There is room for improvement”
Review of Grand Palace Hotel

Grand Palace Hotel
Grand Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 58 Lusaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at the Grand Palace after the cab driver recommended it. I was looking for a budget hotel with good standards (oxymoronic?).

I have paid $150 for decent hotels and even $200 for a 5 star Hilton family room. But I was told that in Lusaka prices are higher than the usual.

So I was dropped of at this hotel which was charging $150. It was relatively clean and decent but the staff seemed to be new to the hospitality industry. I complained that the water was cold but they did not give attention to my gripes. I had to complain at least 3 - 4 times over 2 days before an alternative shower was organised next door to my room. The bed was harder than I'm used to. The balcony was facing a corn field which just put me off.

Overall, it was a fairly good experience. If they fix a few things and train their staff, they'd easily compete against the best.

Room Tip: Check whether there is any warm water. Check the mattress hardness.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Palace Hotel

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I normally don't have a say in where I stay so the company usually books me into the Grand Palace when I have to go to Lusaka for work. First impression is the place looks good. Whatever you do, DON'T eat there, you'll regret it! Make sure you ask for a "soft" bed you arrive or you'll end up in a very hard bed that feels like you're sleeping on the floor. They don't change the sheets daily like their supposed to and I'm sure they recycle the complimentary shaving blade. I forgot to bring mine with and used theirs for my legs, ended up with a rash on my legs. They say they want a review, but don't actually act on it. I honestly wouldn't recommend staying here unless it's the last place available.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ChristinaWS
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I actually slept well for a change! The rooms were nice and clean. They seem to have 2 ways of switching off the lights and if you start off with one, apparently the other doesnt work. The night receptionist was a real star and very helpful. The hotel arranged for my airport drop off. It's not too far from the airport. Didn't get to try any of their meals as I only stayed 1 night. As another reviewer said, you get all major toiletries. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at the hotel for almost 2 weeks on a business trip with 3 colleagues. At first I was not very impressed. I had some trouble with my room 104. The shower door would not want to close, ants all over the bathroom, tv channels scrambled. After I hurt myself due to that stupid shower door I requested a new room. Room 105 was better. Be ready for mosquitoes this time around and the gauze infront the doors/windows are somehow not keeping them out. The matrasses are way too hard for me, its like a planket. They clean the rooms everyday with new towels and all. You even get some toilettries (toothbrush, comb, razor) in case you have forgotten yours. Apart from the room issue all else was quite good. Service I must admit was excellent, as we always came back for lunch at the hotel restaurant we ordered in the morning and already they reserved a table for us, greatly apprciated, thanks to the restaurant staff. Breakfast was good and a big choice. Saturday there was a pianist playing by the swimming pool some ballads, a really nice atmosphere. Receptionist was also forthcoming and arranged taxi's whenever necessary.
All in all I applaud the staff for their excellent service and would come back anytime.

Room Tip: I hope room 104's showerdoor is now fixed and the ants are gone.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have to agree with previous reviewer that the bed is hard ! but otherwise I found the hotel to be good value for money, at least compared to Lusaka prices - true, in other cuntries you find better at tht price but certainly not in Lusaka ! Location is fine close to Arcades etc to go for diner, the hotel has a serie of reliable evening/night taxi drivers that can called upon (ask for David during night time); TV channels selection is rather ppor but otherwise no complains - staff is most helpful and friendly - I did not eat there (use options in Arcades and others in suburbs)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel is really expensive and is not worth the price you pay. Stayed at this hotel earlier this week whilst on business and it was really below expectations. The beds are hard, furniture is cheap. I would not recommend this hotel and trully believe its worth half the price. I would not stay at this hotel when visiting Lusaka again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business