“not worth repeat”

Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Sent booking by email but no response
On checking in had to lug my luggage up six floors as elevators were faulty and no porter.
No remote control for tv

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road

Reviewed 2 July 2011

We stayed here for one night before heading out to Livingstone and found the hotel in need of a little love. It was not in a great location but if you need to be close to the bus station then this is not too far. The rooms also seemed very dated. The staff were very helpful but not sure this is enough to make me want to go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katkin_11
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Came to Lusaka on a conference and in addition to arranging my own accommodation, I had to organise accommodation for others so I was able to scope out what was on offer in Lusaka. I had been booked to stay in Protea Cairo Road for a few nights before moving to the Taj but decided to extend my stay at Protea.

The Protea is going through a make-over, but the rooms were good size, the staff extremely friendly and helpful (one particular instance when I had to print out a few documents urgently), and the breakfast is very hearty.

If you are looking for a solid hotel for a good price - then Protea is the one for you. The Southern Sun is very nice, and top rating is deserved, but its double the price of Protea. The Taj on the other hand ... you dont get what you think you are going to pay for. Although its meant to be a 5 stars/VIP hotel, the rooms are small and even if you pay for a deluxe room, it is the same size as an executive room, despite price difference. The best thing at the Taj is Noah - one of the porters at the hotel but otherwise, I would go to the Southern Sun if you are in that price bracket.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2010

the hotel is getting old!the room looked crappy. they don't even have a desk for you to work on it. they have used all the space for a tv!

they have only one toilet for men and one for women and they were hosting two simultaneous workshop.imagine the queue!! the lunch buffet had almost same choice everyday!.

service was average though. the guys and girls at the desk tried to make their best to work things out. but the hotel is damn old. they need to review their rooms, elevators etc.!!its overused!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Soulless, acceptable hotel in the heart of downtown. Just be warned that there really isn't much in the downtown area anymore so you'll probably need a taxi to get anywhere. Might as well stay at the Protea in Arcades shopping centre as there are at least a few restaurants/bars and a cinema there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Usshi
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed for three days. The rooms are adequate for a short stay. Rooms are tiled, clean, have a small 'fridge, good quality bed and decent pillow - not a sponge blob. Traffic around Cairo road is congested so get up early - breakfast served from 7am - and get on your way. Barclays is next door to exchange currency. Lots of taxis to get you to appointments. Staff at hotel are helpful, accommodating and friendly. As it is a business hotel there is no pool and no gardens. The price however reflects that and out of the four hotels we contacted in Lusaka, Cario Road was much cheaper. We spent our money on having nice meals out. I would definitely recomend this hotel to business travellers. Service is quick at the dining room and all staff are aware that they have business guests with busy schedules. We hired a car and parking was always available to us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank marieannetta
Reviewed 29 June 2009

There are probably worse hotels out there, but this is the worst I've ever seen. I booked this hotel over the interternet after seeing it described as a good business hotel in the city centre. I was going to be in Lusaka for business and needed to move around quite a bit so this sounded ideal. I booked three nights. Big mistake. Check in was quick and pleasant enough. I got a room on the 5th floor. Upon exiting the lift I was hit by such a strong smell of stale cigarette smoke I almost gagged. I got into the room and again the cigarette smell was over powering. I had specifically requested a non-smoking room. the room itself looked drab and uninviting. i opened the bathroom door and was greeted by a cockroack strolling aound like it owned the place. I promptly called reception and got an apology - would I come back downstairs so they could allocate another room? I did and got a room on the 2nd floor. No cigarette smell this time around, but the room was worse. It was the most oddly arranged hotel room I've ever seen. you can't see the tv from your bed, unless you scoot over to the extreme end because the bathroom wall blocks your view; the table on which the tv stood was the same one that held the tea/coffee facilities, the phone, the phone directory, the usual hotel stationery, as well as the hairdryer so there was no space for my laptop. that was also supposed to be the desk on which one worked because there was no other surface in the room. You could here the din of the traffic from downstairs.
The bathroom left a lot to be desired. the plasterwork was clearly visible. But all these were nothing compared to what I saw later as I got ready for bed. I threw something in the dustbin under the sink and out crawled this army of roaches. I almost had a fit. I picked up the phone and started scouring around for another hotel. unfortunately I couldn't find a room for that night, but there was availability for subsequent nights. I called reception and they sent someone up with a can of insect spray. I was paying $142 a night to be on roach extermination duty! Veeery cool.

There was a lot more wrong with this hotel - free internet was not worth the bother. you get a free voucher upon check in but the connection is so slow I think they must be using a 56kbps modem or something. couldn't manage to download my outlook mails. breakfast was ridiculous - nothing more need be said.

I checked out after one night.

the one good thing I have to say about this hotel is the location - right in the middle of town and close to the banks and all the places you may have busines in. But the hotel shares a building with some small-scale low-quality shops and right outside the hotel door are hawkers. I would never have guessed there was a hotel there until the taxi driver pointed it out to me.
Please do yourself a favour - avoid this hotel at all costs - unless you're taking part in "survivor zambia" and stand a chance of winning $1m for surviving the place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank maryCapeT
ProteaHotelsZambia, Marketing Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2009

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotel Cairo Road is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We therefore greatly appreciate and encourage our GUESTS to provide us with their feedback. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong.
All comments received are used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.
The inconvenience experienced and the feedback provided does not reflect the high standard of service that we at Protea Hotel Cairo Road strive to achieve. We confirm therefore that each of the matters arising from this review have been addressed and action is being taken to rectify the problem areas.
Please take note that the actual rate charged for the room occupied was USD 126.00 and not USD 142.00 as stated on the review.