“Basic hotel stay but very friendly staff”

Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
London, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel stay but very friendly staff”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Hotel services very basic, ie no gym and very limited in-house menu. Rooms reasonably comfortable and a good size. Bathrooms have old decor but clean enough. Front staff and restaurant staff very warm and friendly. Wi-fi worked well.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor - as more private from street view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
ProteaHotelsZambia, Public Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Sir/madam,

We are delighted to hear that the STAFF were warm and friendly. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your interest and loyalty are truly valuable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Cairo Road and to hearing from you again.

Khetiwe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Having stayed with Protea hotels several times across Africa this one was disappointing. The access is difficult, front desk service confused and unfriendly. The room was very small and the en-suite bathroom was tiny! The meal was okay but service non-attentive. The biggest complaint was that after going to bed exhausted after an 8 hour drive we were disturbed three times: once when reception phoned to ask what time we had checked in, again when someone knocked on our door to queried a bar account for another room, and then again when they returned to bang on the door to query another account again which was not ours! Overnight parking on the street not recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/ madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Cairo Road. We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.

We are extremely concerned with your comments regarding the service and would appreciate more feedback in order for us to investigate the matter further. Kindly get in touch with me directly on my email address, marketing@proteahotels.co.zm, so that we can rectify the problem areas which you have highlighted.

Your feedback will be imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong. Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Khetiwe

Travellers are raving about these Lusaka hotels

Moab Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2013

When I booked, under special requests I asked for a room in the back away from the street, and that cleanliness and quiet were my priorities. Thats what we got. In the morning, we were scheduled for a ride to the airport at the time they would be opening the breakfast buffet, I gave the front desk guy a 20kwacha note(about $4US) and asked for a fruit plate to go for my wife and I. Instead he brought us back and said they weren't ready yet, but to have whatever was on offer. That turned out to be plenty- fruit, hot tomatoes, potatoes, yoghurt, tea and coffee. I think there was even some sausage for the carnivores! Couldn't have been happier.
The arranged shuttle pickup from the Lusaka airport the day we arrived and the drop off the next morning were timely and safe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Sir,

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying at Protea Hotel Cairo Road is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding your recent stay with us and to assure you that your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

Island of Gozo, Malta
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Of all the Hotels I have stayed in around Africa, the beds in the Cairo Rd Hotel have to be the worst. Some in Madagascar were bad, but they take the cake.

The first night in a twin room because of a busy hotel. I hardly slept because the bed was so hard, it felt like I had a board under the sheet as opposed to a mattress. I asked reception the next morning to either find me another bed or book me out and I would go to the other Protea.

They were accommodating and sorted out my move during the day. That night, in a new room, the bed was just as hard.

I have come to the conclusion it is called the Protea Cairo road, because the beds are the same as the road surface outside the front door. Hard and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Tip, book at the Protea Lusaka Arcades Hotel.......... or Radison.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotelsZambia, Public Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear Sir,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced as result of the bed. Please be assured that your comments have been addressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was on a business trip and stayed for only 2 days here.

Pros:-
(1) Located at the heart of the city.
(2) Beautiful room and bathroom. They are pretty big too.
(3) Had a safe, to keep precious belonging inside the closet.
(4) Clean
(5) Has separate smoking and non-smoking rooms.
(7) Food is excellent, and the waiters are really welcoming.
(8) Overall, you will feel secure staying in this hotel.

Cons:-
(1) Due to its central location, it is very crowded. Especially when the office hours get over, the roads are completely choked.
(2) Receptionists are unfriendly.
(3) Room service is bad.
(4) The elevator does not work properly.
(5) No gym, no swimming pool.
(6) TV reception is bad. There are around 10 channels on the TV, only.

Value for money:-

Staff behavior:-

Overall:-

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotelsZambia, Public Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Sir,

We are however concerned with the comments you made regarding the receptionists being unfriendly and would appreciate more feedback. Kindly email me directly on marketing@proteahotels.co.zm

Your interest and concern are therefore truly invaluable to us and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Location not great, (avoid venturing to the west of the hotel unless you want to personally re-enact a scene from Black-Hawk-Down in Mogadishu)
Hotel situated in a re-firbed 1960's office block.
Parking disjointed from Hotel
Otherwise service, food was good.
Felt secure inside hotel.
Friendly staff
No Gym
No Pool
V Limited business work area.
Mozi beers were cold.
View from room to the south = crumbling correlated iron roofing + scrappy old buildings.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Warwick L
ProteaHotelsZambia, Public Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this review, 27 May 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night and I can't say it was a pleasant experience. The front desk receptionists are unfriendly and and not eager to help. I asked for an adapter plug for my laptop charger and the receptionist just pointed me towards one of the janitors. He then informed me that the hotel doesn't keep adapters but he could buy me one for 45 Kwachas (equivalent to 9 USD). That is riculously expensive for something that shouldn't cost more than 2USD. What is more he brought me an old and obviously used adapter. I am sure he was cheating but I had no option since I needed the charger to use the laptop for some urgent things. Later I asked for room service and I was told that they have no room service although they have a restaurant.

The internet connection worked rather well though it drops if you don't use it for a few minutes and you have to put the login information every time. That can be inconvenient if you forget to carry the small slip they give you.

The room is clean so no complaints in that regard but at USD 130 per night I don't think it's worth it. I can also not say that the location is a convenience as I was specifically warned by the locals that I should not venture on foot after dark since it is not safe. So all in all unfriendly staff, poor location, old building and no room service mean there is little incentive to stay at this place.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MGH2011
ProteaHotelsZambia, Public Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Lusaka Cairo Road, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Cairo Road. We are extremely concerned with your feedback regarding the Front Office STAFF and would appreciate more feedback so that we can investigate the matter further. Please could you contact me directly on marketing@proteahotels.co.zm

Your experience of the service delivery overall most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Cairo Road is usually proud to offer. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you as a result of this.