“Let down by the wifi”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Lusaka
Reviewed 2 August 2014

On balance this is a good hotel. However, I was there on business and was relying on using the wifi. The wifi was simply not reliable and was down when I needed it to have Skype conference calls and send important documents. The front desk arranged for me to go to the neighbouring sister hotel and sit in their lobby where the wifi was good - but that is inconvenient especially at 5am. I would not be complaining if I did not know that other hotels are able to maintain excellent quality wifi service (e.g. the Cresta Golfview where I was attending a meeting all week). The room also has a strange design feature: the cupboard is in the entrance passage and when you open the cupboard doors you are effectively restricted to staying inside the cupboard with the light of the passage blocked by the cupboard doors until you close the cupboard doors again - quite strange and a little irritating. The staff was friendly and the breakfast good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aarnout_Brombacher
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Aarnout,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower. We are happy to hear that the STAFF were friendly and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenienced that was caused to you as a result of the internet not working properly. I wish to assure that the problem has since been rectified. We have also taken note of your comments regarding the cupboard doors.

I can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower again that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any assistance you may require from our side in future. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently attended a birthday dinner with my family at the Steak House Restaurant at Protea Hotel in Lusaka. The views were unbelievable and the restaurant is clean and very nice. The food is tasty and well potion. I have been to a lot of good restaurants but I can now say I have certainly now been to the best in Zambia. The service was second to none, the waiters sang happy birthday surprisingly and presented a complimentary dessert with happy birthday written on the plate in chocolate, the restaurant was very busy with a great atmosphere yet the manager Albert Wicks seems to be making everyone feel like they were the only ones there. I can truly say that if visiting Lusaka or looking for a place to eat or drink with friends or family the Steak house is the ultimate place to be. Looking for to our next visit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mulenga m
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Mulenga,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding the birthday dinner you attended at The Steakhouse Restaurant at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower. We are delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of Mr. Weekes in particular are highly valued and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated him for doing an outstanding job.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is new and the rooms are very nice. The front desk assistance was amazing and they tried to do everything to make the stay a pleasant one. The food at the restaurant is very good and the breakfast is tasty.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Diaarbid
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Diaarbid,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and for scoring us 4 out of 5! We are delighted to receive your compliments regarding the STAFF, the rooms and the breakfast and we will certainly congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any further assistance you may require in future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We visited the steakhouse restaurant for a family meal. Our steaks were all prepared well. I had the 30 day aged steak which I was very happy with. We ordered a table salad to share and each had chips or a vegetable and a sauce included in the price.

It was nice to find a new place to have a meal in Lusaka. Next time we will have lunch there. I did email to book a table but that may not be necessary.

I hope the standard stays high.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle C
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and for scoring us 5 out of 5! We are delighted to receive your compliments regarding the Steakhouse Restaurant and that the steaks were excellent. We will certainly congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Protea Hotel Lusaka Towers is attached to a shopping mall so with in 5 minutes of walking distance there are several restaurants, bars, and even a casino.

Protea is going to be part Marriott chain so there is another benefit for Marriott Rewards members.

The staff is very polite and nice. Rooms are comfortable and clean. This place is a destination place for many locals during the weekends. The bar on the 9th floor gets lot of crowds.

They have a very good breakfast as well.

I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Tend to be a bot pricey compared to the surrounding hotels so book in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Solotravel101
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Solotravel,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and for scoring us 5 out of 5! We are delighted to receive your compliments regarding the STAFF, the rooms and the breakfast and we will certainly congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Major kudos to some really pleasant and helpful folks at the front desk. They do the hotel well. Spent a lot of time chatting with them because I loved their attention to making the guests comfortable. Give the crew a raise. Room was fine. Had to change from one floor because the internet access was horrible. That is the only downside---breakfast was also very ordinary but you can always get something to eat in a buffet so not a biggie. Room was comfortable. Location awesome. Seven restaurants in a two minute walking range at the mall....everything very accessible around the corner. Great security. No issues with electricity, A/C or hot water. TV channels connect you to the outside world. Rate was very decent;. No need to spurt unnecessary negatives. It seems like a fairly new place. Be sure and pick the Tower...next door has an older version of the hotel with a Casino....but does not look as nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Doctorbird,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and for scoring us 5 out of 5! We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The service was excellent. the staff are friendly and well trained. The staff at reception did remember me from the times that my collegues and I stayed at the Protea Hotel, Arcade. The location is strategic and well placed. The rooms compare to that of the Fire and Ice in Jhb. I will always recommend and already have recommended this facility to my other collegues and friends who occasionally travel to Lusaka. Do the serve oats for breakfast for I have not seen it during my stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Hendrik,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and for scoring us 5 out of 5! We are delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing a great job.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on, gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any further assistance you may require in future.