“Excellent reception” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My short stay started with the warmest reception I have experienced. All the staff from the waiters, receptionsits to the manager were welcoming, friendly and helpful. My bedroom was spotless, the wi-fi was perfect in my room on the fourth floor and the nineth floor entertainment area gave a great view of the city, especially at night. It was also very pleasing to see how many of the locals made use of the facilities which is always a good indication of quality and value. I will definitely return and strongly recommend the hotel to friends and business colleagues.

Room Tip: Rooms on the werstern side away from the adjacent Arcade Shopping Centre are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Dacarcon,

Thank you for your glowing review regarding your recent stay with us and for scoring us a 5 out of 5. We are so pleased to hear that everything was to your satisfaction and that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Please be assured that we have congratulated them for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally on, gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and to hearing from you again.

Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

On check-in at reception, I provided my surname and stated we were here for one night - all reception staff just looked at me then fumbled around with paperwork then said we do not have your booking??? I had to tell them to look on the computer - then they found our booking? I found the initial introduction to this hotel very rude and odd? Please be aware when you book the 'Advance Purchase' and it states that funds are required on booking, this is not correct as they do not have the credit card facility on the website.

I could not believe that the hotel was new because the hotel is starting to look tired already? Our room was dusty and the bathroom looked like the initial grout had not been wiped off the tiles? The windows were very dirty (inside and out). It seems like a rush job to open the hotel and they forgot to do the deep cleaning prior? We had the room overlooking a construction/rubbish site.

We ordered a pizza in the evening in the bar - probably took about 35 - 40 minutes (for a pizza??) - i was about to walk out.

The hotel is not within the city but in a business district. There is a basic shopping centre by the hotel and a couple of reasonable restaurants nearby.

This is the first time we had stayed in a Protea hotel and will be the last - this is a tourist/average hotel (no frills).

We travel extensively in Africa and find that the majority of hotels provide a warm welcome - this hotel did not. In fact, when I checked out and made a complaint, the 'Reception Manager?' smirked at me as I was telling her - i tried to tell her that this was rude but she continued to smirk sarcastically.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Mrs. Ridge,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Firstly please allow me to offer you my most sincere apologies for the fact that Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured that we have taken note of your feedback regarding the advance purchase on our website and that we have addressed your concerns with our Front Office STAFF.

You are an extremely important client to Protea Hotels and I assure you that your experience in no way represents the standard we're trying to achieve. We are as committed as ever to providing each GUEST with a most memorable and magnificent Protea Hotels experience. Your comments have reached the attention of all involved and have assisted us in creating a commitment to ensure that situations such as these do not arise in the future.

Your interest and concern are truly invaluable to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, should you wish to discuss the matter further.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Check in was quick with friendly service. Rooms are spacious with huge showers. My room was on the 3rd floor where wifi was not great as it seemed to come and go. Great view of Lusaka from the 9th floor where the restaurant and bar is located. Breakfast is ample. We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant but the menu looked very limited as with the Protea next door. Was very dissapointed that this beautiful new hotel with 9 floors had no gym facilities? Great stay, will definitely return!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Amp,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower. We are happy to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient and will congratulate them for doing a great job.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the internet and have raised the issue with our service provider. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best,

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a new property close to the old one in arcade. Rooms are spacious and well done. Toilets is new and shower is good design. You may have to get used to the touch button of the lift. Remember to use the thumb or else it may not get activated. Wifi in the room which I stayed was very poor. I presume it is better in the top floors as the 9th floor restaurant was decent access.

Room Tip: Select the top floors to get a good wifi
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear MPJ,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding your recent stay with us, we are happy to hear that the rooms were to your liking.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the weak internet signal on the lower floors. Please be assured that our internet service provider has since rectified the problem areas.

Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

On balance this is a good hotel. However, I was there on business and was relying on using the wifi. The wifi was simply not reliable and was down when I needed it to have Skype conference calls and send important documents. The front desk arranged for me to go to the neighbouring sister hotel and sit in their lobby where the wifi was good - but that is inconvenient especially at 5am. I would not be complaining if I did not know that other hotels are able to maintain excellent quality wifi service (e.g. the Cresta Golfview where I was attending a meeting all week). The room also has a strange design feature: the cupboard is in the entrance passage and when you open the cupboard doors you are effectively restricted to staying inside the cupboard with the light of the passage blocked by the cupboard doors until you close the cupboard doors again - quite strange and a little irritating. The staff was friendly and the breakfast good.

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Aarnout_Brombacher
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Aarnout,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower. We are happy to hear that the STAFF were friendly and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenienced that was caused to you as a result of the internet not working properly. I wish to assure that the problem has since been rectified. We have also taken note of your comments regarding the cupboard doors.

I can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower again that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any assistance you may require from our side in future. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently attended a birthday dinner with my family at the Steak House Restaurant at Protea Hotel in Lusaka. The views were unbelievable and the restaurant is clean and very nice. The food is tasty and well potion. I have been to a lot of good restaurants but I can now say I have certainly now been to the best in Zambia. The service was second to none, the waiters sang happy birthday surprisingly and presented a complimentary dessert with happy birthday written on the plate in chocolate, the restaurant was very busy with a great atmosphere yet the manager Albert Wicks seems to be making everyone feel like they were the only ones there. I can truly say that if visiting Lusaka or looking for a place to eat or drink with friends or family the Steak house is the ultimate place to be. Looking for to our next visit

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank mulenga m
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Mulenga,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments regarding the birthday dinner you attended at The Steakhouse Restaurant at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower. We are delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of Mr. Weekes in particular are highly valued and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated him for doing an outstanding job.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is new and the rooms are very nice. The front desk assistance was amazing and they tried to do everything to make the stay a pleasant one. The food at the restaurant is very good and the breakfast is tasty.

Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Diaarbid
ProteaHotelsZambia, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Lusaka Tower, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Diaarbid,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and for scoring us 4 out of 5! We are delighted to receive your compliments regarding the STAFF, the rooms and the breakfast and we will certainly congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on gm@phlusakatower.co.zm, for any further assistance you may require in future.