“Best choice in Thimpu”
Review of Druk Hotel Thimphu

Druk Hotel Thimphu
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Thimphu
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Reasons why I would say Druk is the best choice in Thimpu (and Druk was my base for the 3 nights I spent in Thimpu) :

1) Quite modern, decent rooms (they are compact but didnt feel stuffy), nice, clean and big bathrooms, ample storage space for luggage (important if rooms are compact), nice bed and a good TV connection that works. The hotel has all other amenities - nice bar, a good place for the restaurant that serves buffet and ala-carte. So, from the inside, the Hotel serves all your needs.

2) The location is the killer. It's just at the town center (the Hotel door opens outwards into the town square where all curricular / cultural activities are done in Thimpu). So you get out of your Hotel and you are into Thimpu's happening happenings. The Thimpu stadium and the archery stadium (I had amazing time watching so many of those archery games sitting on those benches) are at the back of the Hotel, the national history museum is 5 mins walk and all of Thimpu shopping center is all around it - all restaurants, bakeries, shops, medical shops. When I was staying, even the King and Queen came visiting the Bhutanese citizens to the town center and I got a fleeting glimpse.

3) The staff, as is the case everywhere was very polite and efficient. They even understood that I may need a little help on the food (as I was looking for some Indian) and helped me with that.

So, good hotel, great location, takes care of you and charges you a better value than some more branded and perceptibly luxurious hotels down that same road...choice is yours :)

Room Tip: Look for town center facing rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Dilu_Giri, General Manager at Druk Hotel Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and review. With each guest satisfaction comments we feel that we are on the right path as our efforts are constant to improve our self.
I am happy to note you were satisfied with our services and went back home happy.

Dy General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Druk hotel is one of the prestigious hotels in Bhutan, Thimphu. I loved my room as it was very comfortable and liked the touch of modern and traditional Bhutanese culture.

I had the luxury of having a bath at the end of the long day. It was a real pleasure. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. The food at Druk hotel is excellent. I loved the Indian cuisine. The bar was decent and offered cocktails that are not usually available in Bhutan.

The location was very convenient as it was in the Clock tower, the center of the town. I had a nice view of the Changlingthang football stadium. It was easy to travel anywhere.

I definitely recommend Druk hotel!

Room Tip: the golden key rooms were the old Druk Hotel. If you do receive red or green keys, they are newly re...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to note that our services has been satisfactory during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.
Best Regards

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a chance to stay here for an extended period due to a project. This place was certainly one of the better addresses in Thimphu. Hotel was centrally located by the clock tower and within access of many amenities. Rooms were large and the decor was cozy. Staff (from the front desk to the housekeeping team and the restaurant staff) exuded the typical warmth that is characteristic of Bhutanese hospitality and were great ambassadors of 'Happiness'. This, I felt, was what gave the property a special touch. Mention must also be made of the food that is served here. The taste and quality is nothing short of splendid particularly if you are a fan on Indian cuisine. Try the dinner buffet and you will know what I mean. The executive chef is a friendly bloke who is also happy to cook something off menu if you had requests. I must caution that the wait can be long during busy periods (it once took an hour for my meal to arrive) but if you've got time to spare, I think it's well worth sticking around. My only suggestion to the hotel is for them to improve breakfast service. This is already very good .. but if they can get their eggs right (i.e. make sure to cook the whites properly for sunny side ups, learn to make french omelettes rather than serve one that looks like a roti, get the consistency right on the scrambled eggs), the whole experience would be perfect. Big thumbs up to Dilu and his team for making the stay feel like a visit to a friend's home.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to note that your stay with us was satisfactory. I have made a note of your suggestion on the improvement of the breakfast. We will discuss this within our team and see to it that the breakfast chefs gets more training on the same.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was spacious and clean. Buffet spread for breakfast and dinner was great. They even have one or two Chinese cuisines. The only issue is that variety is mostly spicy and choices are limited for my daughter. Service at the restaurant is great.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tng C

Dear Guest
Thank You for your review. Firstly i apologize that your daughter found the food to be spicy. We will learn from this and find a solution so that younger children gets extra attention.
I am happy to note that you had a god stay with us and your were satisfied with our service.

Dy.General Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I absolutely loved my stay here. Right from the Room service personnel to the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dilu Giri, everyone were warm, hospitable and welcomed us with open hearts.

The rooms were elegant, and beautiful. No complaints there.

The breakfast was also really good. The head chef personally asked us of our likes & dislikes and made sure our palate was satisfied. One suggestion is that the breakfast could have more options from local Bhutanese food.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. It feels really wonderful to learn about guest who had a good stay with us. It was our pleasure to look after you. Our effort is to ensure each guest leaving the hotel has a smile on the face and is totally satisfied with our service. Our motto has been to manage Druk like a home so that each guest feels like he is at home while away from home.

Dy General Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were looking forward to our stay at the Druk after arriving in Bhutan but were very disappointed.
After we had checked in and shown our room we asked about the drilling noise and we were told that there were some building works going on. The room had a strange smell and also was dirty, the mirror had smears and lots of flies in the room. Ww were shown another room but that was not much better. The whole hotel needs to be refurbished.
However, the staff were very good and understood why we had to move to another hotel.
The hotel is very centrally located and ideal for local sightseeing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellavala
Dilu_Giri, General Manager at Druk Hotel Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest
Firstly i would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I am very surprised with your feedback as if you look at all our review we have most positives on room. If this response gets to you will you be kind enough to send me your date of arrival@ druk.thimphu@drukhotels.com

I would like to get into the details of the same.

I deeply apologize once again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The room was very nice - spacious and clean. It was recently updated with an excellent bathroom. The service was very good. The food was tasty with a lot of Indian specialties on the menu. It was in walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. It is so good to know that you had a good stay with us.

Dy.General Manager