Dwight D. Eisenhower Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Abilene
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I first visited the Eisenhower Center in October 1990 and during that visit I only allowed myself about 4-hours. There was so much to see here I had always wanted to return when I had more time. It took me almost 20-years but I finally made it back in March of 2010 and ended up spending the entire day in the Museum and strolling about the grounds. If you like history especially World War II history, then you can spend hours walking through the well laid out museum and reading about General and later President Dwight Eisenhower. Exhibits takes you through is family history leading up to the future Presidents Birth in Denison, Texas. The family moved to Abilene, Kansas and it was here that Ike called home, and it was here that the Eisenhower Center would be built around his boyhood home. The Eisenhower Center is made up of the Eisenhower Boyhood Home, The Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum and the Presidents final resting place in the Place of Meditation. The Grounds of the Eisenhower Center are beautiful and well manicure with a large statue of General Eisenhower standing on the East Lawn. The Place of Meditation is a small chapel where President and Mrs. Eisenhower are buried. It is a very quiet place, befitting it name, and during both my visits I found it to be a place where many World War II veterans come to not only pay their respects to their leader but also to reflect on life. Everyone I encountered at the Eisenhower Center was extremely nice, polite and very knowledgeable. I ended up spending the entire day at the Eisenhower Center and enjoyed it immensely. I would encourage anyone who is traveling anywhere in the area of Abilene, Kansas to take the time to visit the Eisenhower Center.

2  Thank SneakinDeacon
"grew up"
in 14 reviews
"american hero"
in 11 reviews
"president of the united states"
in 7 reviews
"final resting place"
in 16 reviews
"short film"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 16 February 2010

This is a terrific library, especially because the boyhood home is on site in a basically unchanged condition. The museum is complete with updated graphics and lots of lovely exhibits. It is not overwhelming, so you can spend half a day and see it in detail. If you know nothing about President Eisenhower it will surprise you and make you proud. If you are in the area, you really should see it.

2  Thank tobique
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We had planned on spending quite a few hours there and we sure did !!!! We spent at least 3-4 hours. First, we got there at 8:30 am because the brochure that we had picked up said that the visitor's center opened at that time. They told us that those were the summer hours (last week of August), but the director was already there and she was more than happy to let us in. She even started the movie for us.

This is actually known as The Eisenhower Center. It consists of: 1. the visitor's center which has the gift shop and shows the movie. 2. Eisenhower Home which is the boyhood home of the former president. 3. Eisenhower Museum, 4. Eisenhower Presidential Library, 5. Place of Meditation which contains the graves of the former president and first lady.

The boyhood home was wonderful. It is kept just as it was in 1946. You can almost picture the president and his brothers when they were younger running around the house. The musuem is FABULOUS !!!!! Since Dwight Eisenhower was the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during World War 2 there is a big collection of military history. Everything from the staff car that he used in Europe to Nazi items that were donated to the museum by veterans who fought against them. There is the wedding dress worn by Mammie at their wedding and gifts that he had given to her through the years. There are items from his childhood such as a school desk that he used to sit in. There is also a big display of gifts that had been given to him as president by other heads of state. There are lots of family photos and the list just goes on and on. If you are in the area don't miss this gem.

As a side note: We went on the dwightdeisenhower.com website and joined the Friends of the Eisenhower Foundation and for a $25.00 donation we got to visit the museum for free (2 people) plus you can visit ALL of the presidential libraries/museums for free. We were going to the Truman Libary on this trip as well and since we live in Massachusetts we will us it for the J.F.K. Library. If you are planning on visiting some of the presidential libraries/museums you might want to check it out.

I usually include photos in my reviews, but when I got home from the trip I found out that my memory card was bad and all of the photos were ruined.

5  Thank zippy608
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We will go back to Abilene again. Fortunately for us we hit a Saturday full of events. The museums grounds were very nice. The exhibits on display were absolutely fabulous. We were able to take in a couple of innings of old time baseball. what a hoot!! The people of Abilene were gracious and helpful. We headed to Abilene for the Antiques and got so much more. The Eisenhower Museum was a very nice surprise. We will plan a for a whole day on our next visit.

1  Thank wheatstateguy