“Not the best...”

Red Planet Guest House
Ranked #263 of 442 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
“Not the best...”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Clean rooms, good location, but very hard uncomfortable beds. Hot water patchy, and staff get annoyed with you if you don't organize tours/ trekking with them. Average price for thamel, just a pity the staff are so money driven.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Fiddymontagu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The Guest house is in my opinion located at a great spot. The staff is very friendly, helpful and the service is very good, I can say at this point that I am coming again. After spending 3 times at this place, I know what I am talking about.

Especially the Guest Relation, is very helpful if you have any kinds of problems, just ask after Husain and he will do everything he can to help you.
He set us up, with a perfect room with a good view from either the windows or the great balcony.
This time I am going to in my business purpose. Lot of time I am going to India and Nepal also. When I am going to India I am stay in Varanasi and Delhi, when I am going to Nepal stay Kathmandu in this Place
• Stayed August 2011, travelled with my business partner.
• 24 hour free wi fi its batter for me about my business.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank adman513
Ushuaia, Argentina
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Beautiful guesthouse in this town. I am looking another more hotel and guesthouse but I can’t found cheaper, nice and clean then another guesthouse, with a very nice restaurant and a nice bar as well. Clean rooms (which, in themal for that price can be hard to find) and excellent facilities (Free wi-fi internet& laundry etc). They arrange the tour in all over the country.
Would recommend to anyone. Although a near from the Airport, it is a welcome break if you have spend the day in the old cultural city tour by the nice and A/C car to come back to this hotel and enjoy a beer or a cocktail in the bar.

I am thinking stay again this place.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Nice and clean
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mateperson
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Really experiencing this beautiful city Kathmandu Nepal. I have never imagined, I am staying at This Guest House which is the heart of Kathmandu themal near By royal place, the staff here really helped me everything, Taking some amazing yoga/meditation classes In Kathmandu, etc. Also, my room directly overlooks the mountain side. In the morning, I wake up to the chants of the birds and the sound its make me very fresh. When I am in Kathmandu this time I will do small trekking they are arrange me. They have very nice travel and trekking company. This Guest House little small but very nice to stay just fell to stay with my home. Proximity to the main attractions and the supportive staff.
24 hour running hot shower and very fast Wi-Fi it’s also free.

I make a plain come again Nepal and stay same Guest House. They Have Good service air port drop and pickup .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 154943Ahmad
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I am Stayed In this april 2011, traveled with friends

Very good location, good Mountain View, Good food and roof top garden, helpful people and friendly atmosphere. Our room was very very nice not like a guest house like in our home, price is very cheap. 24 hour hot shower depends on power aviability in Katmandu. Free and really fast Wi fi!!!! All over in hotel, and another thing they have very nice tour and trekking company. “Advance adventures Treks” as official tour desk at the hotel who arranged my Trekking well and had not problem at all.
And the owner is a nice gentleman who takes care of the hotel in a very professional way
Wonder full staff and informative guide made my trip very special

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jonsadam
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This is just perfect location. Just in Thamel but no noise at all. We have booked this hotel online and they picked us up at the airport which was superb service. They have very nice room with free wi_fi facilities. The travel desk at the hotel offered great tour which was an excellent. We love this placed and wish to visit again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank abhinavchaudhary14
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Beware, there are two Red Planet hotels in Kathmandu. The first is the Hotel Red Planet (HRP) in the heart of Thamel near to the Kathmandu Guest House. I'm informed that this is very nice by friends but have not experienced it myself. Then there is the Red Planet Guest House (RPGH). Regretably I have stayed there.
The HRP is named and recommended in the Lonely Planet guide to Nepal and if, like we did, you search for 'Red Planet' on the internet you're directed to the RPGH website. There also seems to be confussion on the Tripadvisor site, with no distinction made between the two.
Suffice to say my experience of the RPGH was a bad one. From the moment we set down our suitcases we were accosted by a salesman from Nepal Vision Treks and Expeditions Ltd. He was very pushy and keen to sell us an all inclusive trekking trip before we had the benefit of speaking with any of the other thousand tour companies in the area. We put him off til the morning as we had just spent a tiring 15 hours in the air. We each pre-booked a double room for $15 each which seemed reasonable. The room was a good size but the matress was so hard that I spent the night tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable. The sheet and pillow smelled dirty and of sweat and the over blanket stank. I woke up at one point convinced that a yak had crawled into bed with me. We stayed two nights and tried to have a shower a different times in the day but the water was always freezing cold. You're thinking well you only paid $15, what do you expect? However $15 in Kathmandu will get you a very nice clean room with a hot shower in a much better hotel like the Sacred Valley forinstance.
My advice make sure you know which Red Planet you're staying at.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank leg0head
Kharel, Manager at Red Planet Guest House, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Dear Guest,
Thanks for giving us an opportunity to response from Management side. We would have appreciated and helped you if you would have complained then and there regarding this issue. We would have changed the room and make your stay comfortable. We would like to inform you that we are changing the mattress of our rooms very soon. Regarding the hot shower, as you know in Kathmandu we have been suffering from the power supply which directly affect us to provide services to our valued clients. We do have backup system in to our Guest house least to provide a light in the room and bathroom during this period.
At the end the thing which had happened was not our expectation. We are Red Planet Guest House and never tell to our clients that we are Hotel Red Planet. We want to let you know that before we take booking, we clearly write about us as we are Red Planet Guest House.

Manager
Red Planet Guest House

Travellers are raving about these Kathmandu hotels