“Nice place with VERY helpful staff”

Red Planet Guest House
Ranked #284 of 474 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hi,

I stayed in Red Planet 3 times in March 2014 and I would always stay there again. The location was great, just a 5 minut walk to Thamel. The rooms were clean and the staff was really helpful. They helped me with good advice about places to see in Kathmandu and even stored my luggage while I was away (nothing got stolen, so they are also safe).
The manager was available 24/7 and he helped me out a lot when I had some trouble with my bank card and an ATM. He even came with me to the bank and helped me sort out my problem (THANK YOU AGAIN).
I also booked a trip to Chitwan national park with them and it was everything they promissed and more.
They don't have electricity and hot water all day, but I think that it is a general problem in Kathmandu due to the electricity savings.
Sure, it is not for travellers that are used to a 5-star accomodation, but it is excellent value for money. I will definitely go back there the next time I am in Kathmandu!

Room Tip: All second floor rooms were good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndrejaB

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This guesthouse is terrible - don't stay here!

We agreed a price for two rooms for two nights with the manager and then he tried I charge us more when we checked out - shouting at us that we were wrong.

Rooms are filthy - I wouldn't even let my dog stay in there.

The hotel also ripped us off with our bus ticket to Chitwan which should of cost 700 rupees (including a profit for them) and charged us 1200 rupees - we paid extra for an air con bus and the bus they put us on didn't have air con.

As one of the below reviews said the guys who run the place are wheeler dealers and there are much nicer places to stay for the same price.

We have been travelling for 10 months across numerous Asian countries and this is the worst guesthouse we have stayed in by a mile!

Be warned!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Charlojh
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had planned on staying at Alobar1000 since they had advertised their dorms to be the cheapest in Kathmandu but it wasnt so. They charged 450 npr per head and we were four of us.
On the way back we found this hotel and asked for prices and were glad to know that it came upto 250 per head.
Rooms aren't super tidy clean but average. Never faced issue with water and the beds were clean. The receptionist was helpful in assisting us with routes and places and we are thankful for that. Not a recommended place, but it ain't all that bad, if you plan to spend most of the time outdoors and come to the room for the night and in between.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank srinaith
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The staff here are wheelers and dealers. You can find better rooms on central Thamel that will be cheaper, cleaner and quieter. We paid $12 for a disgusting room, purely because we just arrived on a long haul flight and could not be bothered to search. Do not stay here!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Georgie_eliza88
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Went there last august, it has good location near to restaurants and shops, they have all the info about tours, but you have to make things clear about the prices and what they offer before even get into the premises, i book with them coz they offer free airport shuttle, but then once i was going to the airport they told i have to do it by myself, so i didint really like the service, but it ok

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aom_Shanti
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our Family was accommadated by the bookings from travel site stating this best hotel as per our budget with all facilities and ammenities, but regret to say the hotel is situated around red light area after dark would find prostitutes, casinos, dance bars which is not advisable to stay for family. Also during this time of year winter has started the hotel also didnt provide hot water to our rooms. Overall i would suggest family to please avoid this hotel instead check out some other options..... VERY WORST EXPERIENCE PLEASE AVOID I STRONGLY RECOMMEND...

Room Tip: no rooms pl avoid this hotel as it is badly located
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank kabmik599
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I really hated my stay here. The only reason I stayed for more than a night was because I had a lot of luggage that I didn't feel like moving. The hotel is close to the action of Thamel, but in a strange location. If you're walking back after 10:30 you'll be accosted by no less than 3 prostitutes. Its also overpriced, if I was paying $5 or $6 I wouldn't complain, but they charge nearly twice that for a very dingy room.
Also, the staff is quite shistey. They'll quote your room in USD, but if you pay in rupees they'll give you a bad conversion rate. On my way out the offered to get me a cab to the airport. Fine, but they tried to get me to give them more money than the cab should cost. Luckily I knew better and told them to get lost. There are many other places to stay at much more affordable rates.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo