“good choice in thamel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Bern, Switzerland
“good choice in thamel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

i stayed for 9 nights in a deluxe room in hotel tenki in february 2014. the room was clean and housekeeping insisted on daily cleaning and changed the towels daily. a breakfast buffet (toast, butter/jam, porridge, potatoes, eggs, sausage, banana, apple, juice) was included in the room price. staff was very friendly and helpful. the location is very good because its in the thamel but you can get out of it within 1 minute and then find cheaper shops and restaurants as well. wifi is available in the room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

We visited 27th Dec., 2013. Our tour operator Rahul Sharma booked this hotel for us. This hotel Tenki is located in a busy market area (Thamel Road, Kathmandu) but you can not hear any noise or outside disturbance from inside the hotel. Old hotel but clean enough. Comfortable rooms, hot water (only in morning). From the reception desk I got information booklet about Kathmandu tourist spots. With their help we chalked out our local tour plan earlier.

We stayed only one night in this hotel. Our impression about the restaurant of Tenki was good.
You can also have alternative choices for dinning outside.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked hotel tenki through online hotel booking portal just for one night but when we enter hotel we feel like our home. next day we start our trek. after trek back same hotel and four more days. we find this hotel very comfortable, under the very good location for shopping, restaurant, and other market, all the staff and owner of this hotel are very friendly and help full. we highly recommend this hotel for budget traveler.

devid

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Devid R
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Following a friend's recommendation, I stayed at Tenki for a few days during the month of Sep 2013 and again in Jan 2014. The hotel is perfectly situated in the buzzing tourists' hub of Thamel close to great dining and entertainment and yet further away from the noise and traffic congestion. Rooms are exceptionally clean, comfortable, reasonably equipped and affordable. The hotel restaurant serves tasty Nepali dishes if you don't wish to step out (as was my case during my first few days in Nepal ....jet lag...). The staff is most helpful, friendly and accommodating - especially Shiva, the hotel manager.
I would recommend this hotel to all my friends in a heart beat. Check in out and don't forget to ask Shiva about his interesting enterprise "Social Tourism Development and Research Foundation (STDRF)" integrating sight-seeing and tourism in Nepal with community work benefiting local communities in Nepal while providing tourists with an exceptional point of view, and interesting opportunities for exploration and contribution.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel T, Front Office Manager at Kathmandu Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear valuable guest

Warm Greeting from Hotel Tenki Nepal. Thank you very much for your time to write great review of Hotel tenki. It was our great pleasure to have you at our Hotel. We are pleased to know that you liked our services and had a comfortable stay in our hotel. We wish to welcome you again and again. We will always do our best for all our clients and our main goal will be to offer our best service to our guest.
Once again thank you for your review.

Thanks & Regards

Ganesh Giri
Hotel Tenki P. ltd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I came to volunteer in Nepal, and when the volunteer was over i was looking for a room in the main street of Nepal called "Thamel" to spend a few nights. I didn't have much money(but I had a friend who stayed there and recommended me about Kenti) and so I wrote the hotel an email asking for a price for the room and wrote that my budget is low. Shiva(the hotel manager) answered to me that I will come and we will find a solution. and so it happened. Shiva was touched by the willing to help his country and decided to help me too.

the hotel is in perfect location, a minute walk from the center of the restaurants and bars but just far enough so the noise of the street wont bother.
when I came to the hotel we met and he said to me something that I will never forget "you cant help other people if you're not good".

The room was amazing and clean, and above all my expectations. The bed was super comfortable, maybe the most comfortable Ive had since I started traveling in Asia. The shower was incredible. The staff is super nice and was smiling always.

Talking to Shiva was very interesting too, he told me about his non-profit organization called "Social Tourism Development & Research Foundation" which is also nurturing the tourism but also developing communities. Before reaching a certain community he aspires to research about them and first understand deeply about the community his trying to help to.
he encourages groups from all over the world and corporate with them so together they create a strong basic for helping people from needed communities.

If I loved Nepali people before, I adored them after this experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Austrian Alps, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel Tenki looks very simple from outside but when you get into the hotel as a individual traveler you will get complete suggestions for your all tour or travel or trekking packages. Rooms are clean. Staffs are so friendly. Welcome always with tea or coffee. If you have a short time ask to Shiva for real experience of Nepal. His members from Social Tourism Development and Research Foundation, Nepal help you. It is not only a hotel you will get to learn whole Nepal even from a short visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fansesc
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed in Hotel Tenki which is owned by a very lovely, kind and down to earth person called "SHIVA". The service we got from him and his staff was absolutely fabulous. Rooms were so clean and comfortable. The hotel is located in the heart of the city called Thamel and very easy access to the shops, cafes and restaurants. The hotel food was really yummy and believe it or not I miss the vegetarian thali. Oh also if you are a coffee person then please ask for "Shiva Coffee". That coffee is the best coffee you will ever experience in Nepal. The owner of the hotel - Shiva & Kiran are very helpful and literally spend a lot of time managing and organising the Itinerary which made our trip really smooth and enjoyable. Main thing I like about Shiva is, he started his organisation called "Social Tourism Development & Research Foundation (STDRF) which is absolutely non-profit organisation. Basically this organisation is set up for developing the social tourism in Nepal and the profit goes to very good cause. Good cause means, this STDRF organisation allows the tourists to experience Nepal in it's truest of forms while assisting those communities in need. Shiva's passion for social tourism is infectious as it promotes a healthy growth of true nepalese site scenes that benefits both the foreigner and the local people. I would love to go back to the hotel if I get a chance in my life.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple