“Shree Tibet Family Guest House”

Shree Tibet Family Guest House
Ranked #48 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights (in early January 2012). A great location, in the center of Thamel with good restaurants and interesting sightseeing destinations nearby. The rooms aren't heated, but they are clean with a reliable supply of hot water. The staff was great; always polite, friendly and helpful. Given the great price, this is an excellent lodging choice in Kathmandu. I'll give a special shout out to Surendra, the manager. He helped me select Chitwan National Park for an excursion out of the city. He set me up with an outstanding lodge and arranged all the transportation. He also arranged my mountain flight, which unfortunately didn't work out due to poor visibility. However, Surendra quickly got me a refund for the flight. Thank you to everyone at Shree Tibet!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter and a better choice (especially if you are there on New Years...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank R W

Reviewed 28 January 2012

i stayed at this hotel for 5 days in total that it stays at the center of thamel.contains good quality of rooms , no worry for hot water anytime.the staffs are very familier that i felt like mor than in my home.i got free piick up from the airport , mr surendra is very good guy that he treated me very good. food is not too bad here , there are many good restaurents around too.i made my trip to abc that it was with very experienced guide that i enjoyed it a lot.kathmandu sight seeing with mr surendra was wonderful that he has good knowledge about it. i hope my next time in nepal will be here again....................

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank lay n
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel was our home during the 3,5 months' visit in Nepal. The friendly staff welcomed us always with a big smile when we returned to Kathmandu from our trips and helped us with everything: booking the trips, finding good restaurants, massage places, transportation, sights etc. The hotel was clean, breakfast good, laundry worked well and we got excellent service in good English. I really recommend this hotel to everyone! Thank you, dear family at Shree Tibet! :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sini v
Reviewed 19 December 2011

i stayed with this guest house for 8 days while doing business in nepal, the staff is great and i feel they went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. if i needed anything, clean towels, soap etc i simply had to ask.. my new home away from home

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank terry g
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We made a reservation on line and the staff picked us up from the airport for free. The hotel is well located in Thamel and we were offered a nice twin room with atached bathroom at the 4th floor (front side). There was good wifi in the room and hot water in the shower. The cleanliness level was acceptable and the staff nice and helpful. It was good value for money as this hotel was only 12 USD the night compared to 30+ USD in other nearby hotels. However, as soon as it got dark, the discoteque in front of the hotel started to play very loud music and we found it unbearable. The noise went on every evening from 17 to after midnight and even though we complained, there was nothing that the staff or us could do to stop the noise. Try to get a room in the back if you appreciate quietness, but these rooms are darker though.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank queensy83
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I was here for one night. The room was dark and it smelled of damp and dirt. The sheets had clearly not been washed and smelled so bad I slept in my sleeping bag liner. There was no towel in the room and although when I asked for one the staff produced one, I rather regretted it since the towel smelled worse than the sheets. And I can confirm what others have written about the disco. It was so loud that even ear plugs could not block it out.

I didn't pay directly for the hotel as it was part of a trip booked through a trekking agency, so I dn't know what it cost. It's a very basic hotel, but by no means the worst in the world, and if you are used to dirty hostels, then you'll be fine here. If it's really cheap, then perhaps it's a decent choice because it is very well located. But have realistic expectations about the accommodation: to be honest I would rather have had a bed in a nice dorm in a clean hostel, than a room to myself in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Spent 5 nights here. Indeed staff is very helpful and Thamel is just one corner away. Unfortunately the neighbours have a sort of daily disco (usually entirely abandoned now - low season), boosting the music a little extra bewteen 11 and 12 pm. So take a room at the back of the hotel and preferably not the 4th floor either. Ps My room was cleaned only after I specifically requested so (and another day my request was just ignored)..
Njoy! trini