“Great value for money”

Shree Tibet Family Guest House
Ranked #44 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 22 January 2014

In total, I spent almost two weeks in Shree Tibet Family Guest House back in April and May 2013. I'd always return there whenever I came back from a long trekking trip. The reason for that is that, after looking around, in person, through several places to stay in Thamel, this guest house had, by far, the best value for money. It's extremely affordable, the rooms are really nice and so are the toilets and showers. There's hot water 24 hours a day, the showerhead actually has a decent water pressure, there's free wifi inside the room and everything's clean.
The staff is really nice and helpful, from the manager, to the people at the front desk, to the cleaning ladies and even the guy from the trekking shop right next door was pretty cool.

It's quiet and cozy, though, being in Thamel, it was near a disco, which, of course, was a bit noisy sometimes, but it was nothing that a pair of cheap ear plugs couldn't solve, so no big deal there. Besides, being right there in Thamel means that its location is extremely convenient.

The staff never tried to pressure me into signing up for tours or anything else, as they knew (I told them) that I'm a solo independent traveler who likes to do his own thing and not spending too much money. In fact, they would gladly give me some advice on several things, so that I could know how to do stuff as cheap as possible.
I left my luggage stored there on two different occasions, more than one month in total, and it was pretty secure.

It's been almost a year since I was there and I'm planning to go back to Nepal once again around April this year and it was then that I remembered that I'd not written a review for this guest house, which is a shame, because it really helped making my stay in Kathmandu and Nepal so memorable. Well, here I am writing a review now. Better late than never, I suppose.

I'll definitely be staying there once again when I visit Nepal come Spring. Really looking forward to it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Vasco L

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here for one night and it was a pleasant stay. The staff are very friendly where always willing to help if i needed anything. I booked a taxi for a kathmandu tour for a full day and the price was 4700. We visited the main tourist attractions five attractions and they also dropped me off at the airport at the end as part of the tour package.

I have not looked into other tour agencies so i dont know if it is with all drivers but the hotel driver was a bit too social and took time to stop on the way and talk to his friends and sister while i stood there waiting which wasnt a big problem since i wasnt on a tight schedule but its something to keep in mind. Also make sure you decide where and when you will meet after you tour an attraction site. At one of the sites, i had to wait 20 minutes for the driver to come back.

The rooms are clean and they do not smell stuffy like some of the other hotels. The bathroom was also clean but the shower water pressure was extremely week. Hot water however, was not a problem which was very nice.

Overall it was a pleasant stay except for a few mishaps which were not a big problem at all.

Room Tip: Check the shower water pressure and ask for another room if it is bad.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jaeha L
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is definitely a great place to stay in Kathmandu.The rooms are clean and very comfortable, not to forget the price are reasonable. The bathroom has good hot shower. The location of this hotel is very strategic,is convenient for shopping and finding good restaurants.The staff is also very helpful and friendly especially Ganesh and Kumar. They are very helpful. Overall, it is definitely a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnnaCSL89
Surendra L, Manager at Shree Tibet Family Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Anna!!!
Greetings from Shree Tibet family Guest House!!!
Thanking you so much for your recently stay at our guest house and shhairing your an expreance to other people. We are so much happy you like our guest house so much. I hope i can again see you at our lovely guest house in the future.
Always have a great time.
Manager, Shree Tibet Family guest House

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The employees are very nice and they have good rooms in Nepal standards. Their system for storing baggage is very secure which is great if you're leaving things when you're off trekking the Himalayas.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Beardboy1

Dear Guest!
Greetings and warm remembering from Shree Tibet family Guest House.
Thank you so much for your stay at our guest house during you nepal time.We are very much happy to see your review. Yes, you are right we have a luggage storage room and glad to know your things are safe and happy with this. I hope you are again visit our guest house in the future.Your review definetly help full people who are looking for saty at our guest house.
Have a great time always
Manager, Shree Tibet family Guest House

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have no idea and no expectation, when I booked this hotel online. I just go with my "instinct and flow"!!! I love surprised and adventures!!! Surprisingly, it was amazing things, I had done and I was "BLESSED and SO HAPPY" living here. The staffs are very very polite, well behaved, friendly and helpful!!! I loves "Ganesh and Kumar" they both are soooo adorable and good employees/staffs at Shree Tibet Familly Guest House and of course other staffs is good too, but I didn't get all their names!!! Price is very very reasonable, good locations, conveniences and very safe... I strongly recommended to anyone who like me, who love surprise and adventures to come and experience it yourself... Very interesting people and staffs in SHREE TIBET FAMILY GUEST HOUSE!!! I'm 101% satisfy and it's was a perfect choice and feel like living in the family house!!!

-ming
New York, USA

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ming K
Surendra L, General Manager at Shree Tibet Family Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest!!!
Greetings & warm remembering from Shree Tibet family guest House!
Thanking you so much for your pleasent saty at our shree tibet family guest house. We are so much happy to see your email and you like our location, staff, price etc... We are waiting for your next visit at our guest house. Thanks again for your an expreance to shairing other travellers.
Good luck to you always
Manager Shree Tibet family guest House

Reviewed 12 January 2014

まず安さが魅力です。合計6泊しましたが、とても居心地が良かったです。ホットシャワーは時間帯によっては、冷たくなるのですが午前中に使うとベストです。Wi-Fiは無料で、停電時でも使用できました。またオーナーは日本語もできすので、困ったときは相談できます。私はポカラ往復のフライトとポカラのホテルもここで予約しました。スタッフが親切でフレンドリーなのも魅力です。

First, this is reasonable gest house. I stayed here for 6 days, I felt it was very comfortable. You can use hot shower 24 hours ,but it goes pretty cold . So you should use it in the morning. You can use Free Wi-Fi when the power outage.
Since the owner speaks Japanese, you can talk with him about some problem. I bought flight ticket to Pokhara and reserved accommodation here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank miyako_is

Dear Miyako!
konichiwa! Doumo arigatou gogimas!!!
Many many thanks for your pleasent stay at our guest house for 6 days. I am so much happy to know that you had a great time at our guest house and you like everything. Thanks for your visit our travel desk and bought the flight ticket to pokhara. we will fixed hot shower for 24 hour very soon. I hope when you are in our guest house for next visit that time you will have no any hot shower problems.
Many thanks and always have a good time in japan.
Surendra Lamichhane
Manager, Shree Tibet Family Guest House.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you plan to go to Nepal, I recommand you the hotel Shree Tibet family guesthouse. A very good hotel at a reasonable price well located in Thamel in the heart of Kathmandu.
Very good welcoming from M. Kumar.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Philippe F

Dear sir/ madam
Warm remembering from shree tibet family guest house.
Thanking you so much for your recently stay at our guest house. We are so much happy to know that you like our guest house, location and price. Thanks for recommend to other people also.
Always have a great time!
Surendra lamichhane
Manager at shree tibet family guest house