“"Fantastic owner"”

Khangsar Guest House
Ranked #14 of 462 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Recently I stayed at Khangsar for the first time. Over many years I have stayed at numerous hotels in Kathmandu. Given that this is a budget hotel you cannot expect to get 5 star accommodation. I found Khangsar to be very good value for money. Raj, the owner, is without a doubt one of the nicest, sincerest, obliging owner operators that I have encountered anywhere in my travels. The staff were efficient, courteous & friendly. However,as I am a lousy sleeper I found the location a little noisy, but if a little noise does not disturb you then this won't be a problem.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank pinkfloydCanberra

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We picked this hotel because other reviews suggested they were good at organising treks and tours and we were not disappointed - the staff went out of their way to help us tailor a trip exactly for our needs to the Annapurna Base Camp. I would definitely recommend utilising their services for any budget tours or trips that you'd like. The welcome cups of tea were great and they helped with the numerous questions we had - a very enjoyable stay. Thank you

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor - it was up at least 4 flights of stairs - helped to keep us fit and...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Guys,
there are many places to stay in Thamel, and if your schedule allows you to spend days in a hotel without venturing out, there are lots of other options here, but if you're looking for a place that puts you in the center of Thamel, free wifi and barely touches your pocketbook in the process, this is your place. The helpful, always present staff catered to my needs immediately, from getting the right power adaptor for my US netbook to an ever full cup of tea. This is more than just a inexpensive roost, this is a base-camp.

Room Tip: try to get on the 2nd floor, less stairs but further from rooftop
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The staff at Khangsar is golden; they're willing to do anything to help -- they even picked up my hiking boots (which I mailed to Kathmandu ahead of time) from the post office for me! They set up plane tickets and a porter for my trekking trip. Breakfast is included and the price is good; however, the rooms are really dirty. I saw cockroaches in my room both days I stayed there, and the water coming from the tap and in the toilet was brown. The location is good and there are hot water showers -- luckily not brown water.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Shannon S
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We loved about this hostel is close enough to get anywhere on foot. Being even in one of the world's crowdest city, experienced less traffic noise inside the room and got chance to see 'life' around . The staff was extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful. We were especially thrilled with the man who runs the travel desk as he had fantastic suggestions on places to see and ways to get the most out of your visit.
We were able to see so much more because of him. We had a room on the top floor and enjoyed the roof garden as well as ever-lasting hot water. The main lounge with tibeten style was a great place to use the wifi and meet other guests. I would most definitely stay here the next time I am in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Rosemerry E
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The hospitality is nice there...... and food is nice too. The service is very good. The Khangsar Guest House in located in the middle of town, in proper Thamel, at Chetrapati.

Room Tip: It has rooftop garden....n fast free wi-fi internet service...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank TandinSparx
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I can recommend Khangsar Guest House in the heart of Thamel - very nice and helpfull staff - wonderfull roof-garden and fine room with hot shower :-)
See you again in september 2011