“Rudeness and extreme indiscretion - receptionist tried to steal my girlfriend using lies”
Review of Hotel Potala

Hotel Potala
Ranked #90 of 466 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The receptionist on duty at 6am on July 7 claimed I was out when my Nepali girlfriend called and asked to speak to me on July 6 in the late evening. He also didn't deliver the message she then left for me. Further, he had the nerve to call her (her number must have been displayed on the hotel phone the night before) after I had left for the airport, after asking me whether I was going to marry her or merely seeing her for the sex (his words), to which I gave a non-committal answer as it is none of his business. He then had the balls to ask me for her number, which of course I didn't give him. I thought he was rude and extremely indiscreet, but I would have let it go if I hadn't subsequently found out from my girlfriend about him lying on the phone to her and his non-delivery of her message to me.

Thoroughly unprofessional. Purposely trying to interfere with and even intrude into a relationship in one's private life is one thing, but doing this to a customer while on duty is simply unacceptable in any moral code. He should be fired from his job.

Anyone considering using this otherwise ok hotel be warned, especially about the long-nosed young receptionist with the narrow face ... he's a snake!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank tomix-yeah

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Good location, helpfull staff, no frills room, clean enough.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank marcelboer
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Located in the center of Thamel, street and bar noise from 7am to 11pm, but use earplugs and you will be fine. Really helpfull and friendly staff, rooms are simple, clean, hot water. I stayed in the room with a shared bathroom. Payed 600 NRP a night with breakfast. Food and drinks really good and prices fair. Wi-Fi quite reliable - better in the restaurant area. Overall it is excellent place to stay!

4  Thank Maciej L
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Hotel Potala is VERY central. I got a single room without bathroom but with breakfast included for 600 Roupies, which is above market level in Thamel but ok because the location is excellent and the staff genuinely helpful. The breakfast was particularly good.
Drawbacks: gets loud in the evening (DO NOT take a room with window on the street) especially on the nights when live bands play in the bars around, common toilet dirty and with little friends with antennas coming out at night...
Advantages: great breakfast, roof top, location, common shower clean.
I saw that the rooms with bathrooms don't have a cleaner toilet, it's only the comfort of not sharing it with others.

2  Thank zuly1000
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Hotel Potala isn't the Ritz, but for a weary traveller it's comforting. A standard room with en suite costs $12 a night and for that you get a hot shower, clean sheets, a tidy room, good healthy breakfast selection which won't upset your stomach and very friendly service! The Hotel staff are happy to help whether it's with sightseeing options, directions, laundry or letting you use the phone. It is the centre of Thamel, and you feel safe being there. If you want a cheery simple place to stay I would recommend Hotel Potal.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed 8 days here while in Thamel, and it was a really cool experience. I met some awesome ppl while at potala. Hotel Potala is located right in the city, so if your looking for a quiet place, this probably wont be the right choice. The music is on till 11pm, there's a massive bar next door, and the rooms are cold in the winter. That having said, for the price, i was more than content, i wore thermals and was given an extra blanket. I ate breakfast every morning at the hotel, i loved the food, it was cheap. Bishnu is a great guy, he organized my tickets to lumbini and came through when i almost missed my bus! Check out their in house travel agency, the prices are very competitive!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Incredible location if you want to be right in the heart of Thamel. Thamel is the perfect place for backpackers in Kathmandu as it has everything we need (and plenty we could do without). However, with this central location comes the major downside - the noise! The hotel is literally surrounded by bars and niteclubs, with loud latin music coming from one side, loud english-language covers-bands from the other, and a noisy club on the floor below in the same building. Earplugs are needed if you plan on going to sleep before 11pm - after that there isn't too much of a problem as the 11pm curfew sees to the noise.

The hotel staff are incredibly friiendly - amongst the most friendly i've ever encountered. And the in-house travel services are pretty good without being too pushy. I thought the room was good value at first ($13US shared bathroom) but then I found much cheaper rooms available elsewhere in quieter locations (but still good locations). However, we did have breakfast included in the room price and it was a very good hearty breakfast ( there was a decent selection to choose from each morning). Overall a good stay of 4 nights but I would stay somewhere quieter next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple