“Nice and beautiful”

Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center
“Nice and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I only had time to stay for ins night , loved the yoga class and the teacher was really calm and down to earth , I learned a lot even in one day the also offer massages and the food is really delicious the Tent Room was comfy although if you are planing to stay there you better bring a nice sleeping bag , I also made some very good friends . Very peaceful and quiet and it was what I needed after my trek . Totally recommend this place and will defiantly come back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Niloopiloo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I visited HIYA for 3 nights 4 days, I had read some of the reviews and saw there was loads of great reviews and a few not so good ones so I wasn't sure what to expect, I was a bit apprehensive after reading the bad ones.

I will write a fair review and point out the good bits and so me things I hope they will change for future visitors as I think that is what TripAdvisor is all about, bringing up the level of service so listen up HIYA so you won't get any more bad reviews!

When I arrived I was greeted with a friendly welcome and shown to my tent which was nice and had an amazing view over the city, after that it was straight down to business and payment which I felt could have been left until the end so it didn't feel so pushy, who goes to a yoga retreat and sneaks off with out paying.

My first yoga session was a pre-lunch meditation with one of the yoga teachers who I never found out his name because he didn't introduce himself properly and didn't seem too interested in getting to know me, the meditation was nice but interrupted by him hacking up something and spitting it out the window ( I know that it is not considered rude in Nepal but when you work with westerners maybe leave it until after meditation)

The staff we extremely friendly and cooked great food and lots of it which was always ready on the dot, the therapist was also a lovely lady and was very good at massage so thumbs up guys, keep it up.

So there are 3 yoga sessions but the 2 after breakfast are really breathing and meditation. Dr. Chintamani was our main yoga teacher, he is a nice man, highly qualified and intelligent, I really enjoyed his sessions but I agree a little bit with another reviewer who said something like he forced the moves a bit and didn't really take into account that some of us may have injuries but apart from that he was great.

The centre is located in a great area and there is a great walk along the hill to the monkey temple 1hour return and you will definitely be the only tourist on the trail so you really see life as it is and all the going s on, go for sunrise and you will be stunned with the view.

The yoga room can be a bit cold especially in the morning so wear warm clothes and bring your on mat because the ones in there are very tired and the blankets need a good dusting ( HIYA ...GET SOME NEW MATS! They are not expensive)

All in all it was a good experience and I do recommended going

I really hate being critical but you have to be cruel to be kind and I hope some small things are tweaked and you will have an excellent package.

Thanks and good luck

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Sean N
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed for 8 day. I was very interested in learning about Meditation. The yoga is very gental and slow. If you are looking for a challenging cardio workout dont bother. The treatments and food where a highlight for me and why I gave a higher rating then average. I also really liked the location and amount of free time to explore.Internet is not reliable which is a little frustrating when you are staying more then a few days.
Overall it is a great place to be to relax and be reminded of what is really important in life.

Room Tip: I picked a tent, in good weather it would have been perfect but was the wrong choice for me for mons...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sara1525
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had practiced yoga for about 6 months and decided to take my teacher training at HIYA. -That was the best decision of my life.
I never imagined that I would learn so much in only 2 months. I now fell confident teaching yoga, have an insanely flexible body, but most important; I have a better life.
I felt like a family member there, and Hiya is one of the first places I will visit when I come back to Nepal. The yoga doctors have nice humor and they are gonna be my gurus for life.
I can highly recommend this place to everyone, -yoga-lovers or beginners.
Just bring your open mind.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Liva N
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I can highly recommend this place if you wish to learn about meditation and yoga, or if you want to extend your existing knowledge of yog. One or two nights, a couple of weeks or even months; any duration is most likely to make a very positive imprint in your soul. I was supposed to stay for two nights but ended up staying a week.

Once I got back to the routines of everyday life at home, I had tools and techniques that have helped me to continue a life with a different mental attitude and appreciation of life.

I am so happy I took the opportunity to stay at HIYA. Don´t hesitate, just go there!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Oscar M
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

We booked for 2 nights 3 days. On arrival we were told nothing scheduled for day 1 but rest and shower. If you even only done one yoga class this will be a waste of your time, as you will have already learnt more then you will learn here. If you love yoga and meditation this is not the place for you. We also never saw any evidence of the promised ariveydic treatment or food. We left after 24 hours and encourage you to keep looking.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Turboturtle77
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

I booked 4 days/3 nights, and i chose a tent for accommodation. I opted for a tent to get the most 'natural' experience.

I liked it so much. I am a total Yoga newbie, no, actually I was a total Yoga newbie, but after my stay at HIYA I am definitely smarter:) What I liked most about how Yoga is taught at HIYA is the fact, that Dr. Subodh teaches Yoga in a very open minded way. After four days I got a feeling for what Yoga could mean for my life, for managing my life in the future. And that is important, he teaches Yoga as something, that is very personal/individual, not a dogmatic book of rules and instructions.

A day at HIYA is a nice mixture of classes and time for yourself. In the morning you have the physical class and later you have massage or Reiki or whatever therapy you chose from the catalogue. In the afternoon you get a very interesting Yoga philosophy class followed by relaxation exercises. In the evening you do serious meditation. In-between you have some spare time and SOME AWESOME FOOD, especially if you like vegetarian food. The food was some of the best I had while traveling Asia and Nepal.

The team around Dr. Subodh is very warm and welcoming. They even got me a blanket from the market for my upcoming Vispassana meditation course - thank you Lala!

And I had a good time with the cooks, learned some recipes and had good laughs.

The view over the Kathmandu Valley is beautiful.

Go there, you will not regret it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank ChristianHu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathmandu
Kantipur Temple House
#1 of 193 in Kathmandu
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
#63 of 432 in Kathmandu

Been to Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center? Share your experiences!