“Serenity on the edge of chaos”

Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center
London, United Kingdom
“Serenity on the edge of chaos”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Perfect start to my Nepal trekking trip by stopping here for a 3-day yoga, meditation and spa treatment package. Situated in the hills overlooking Kathmandu (though you wouldn't know it from the smog covering the city in the mornings), the place consists of safari tents and gorgeous gardens (from where the fresh leaves for morning tea are plucked), plus the yoga and spa areas. The welcome was incredible, a sea of calm; the yoga was thoroughly uplifting, the meditation in the evening quite intense. Breakfast is served after the yoga in the morning, and in the evening a choice of dinner is available, me mainly sticking to the wonderful dhal bat, the national dish. The steam bath and massage treatments were also expertly done, and all in all, together with the yoga practices, I was almost permanently buzzing, senses raw and alive surrounded by a dramatic landscape. Not only that, but they even offer walking tours to local monasteries, places you would never otherwise find. And the people, man, they were so friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much. This was a real find, absolutely incredible, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Loved it!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
California
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I went to the HIYA after having spent several weeks in Nepal trekking up and down mountains and staying in guest houses in busy Kathamandu. I was in need of a peaceful, tranquil retreat and found it here. Upon arrival, I was served mint tea (grown from their own garden) and shown to my spacious, clean, comfortable safari style tent. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and I never tired of my view across the valley to the golden spire of Swayambhuth temple. The yoga classes and meditation instruction were very thoughtfully done. The entire pace at this resort was what I would describe as "calm serenity".The staff were so nice and helpful. Arun cooked up the most amazing organic dishes-petty soon, we were just tossing the menu aside and telling him to surprise us. They were also very helpful with taking tours in the surrounding area, including shopping. The price includes a daily "spa" treatment and before long I felt my whole being reach a state of relaxation and peace I hadn't experienced in a long time! I could never afford such a spa type lodge in the States-what a treat to find this slice of heaven in Nepal!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Lage-Vuursche, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Before our trekking we stayed a few days in the "Yoga resort". We enjoyed the yoga lessons, the beautiful garden, the quiet surrondings and good food. Actually, we enjoyed it so much that we changed our hotel after the trekking so that we could stay in the Yoga resort again.
If you look for a quiet, peaceful place in Kathmandu (and those places are hard to find) than the yoga resort is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Nobody will ever think of Nepal when comes to Yoga and most would have choose India instead. HIYA has lots to offer, if you are yoga teacher, student, or yoga lover, you will love the way Dr.Subodh taught. A clean, friendly environment with nice fresh air esp when you want to escape from the noise of busy Thamel. Trekkers can consider to stay at HIYA for few nights and try out their massage. One turn off is that, light is always off at night, so please bring your torch light just in case. We stay at Safari tent, it makes you felt like camping outdoor with a nice mattress inside.

ATM/Currency:
Nepalese will not accept India Rupees 500 or 1000 due to fake notes circulate around their country. If you are coming from India, please make sure you change them all to Nepal or small Indian notes. They have ATM everywhere, guess don't have to worry if you are running out of money.

Tour to Nagakort:
We arrange our short trip through earthbound expedition (Same coordinator of HIYA), it cost about USD85 just for a nite stay + small trek + site seeing. Is a bit costly for a day trip. View is not as great if you are a serious trekker or photographer unless you have a very good/long lenses.

Getting Around Thamel and world heritage site:
Taxi generally is very small, it will be a bit squeezy for 3 man to sit behind. Unless you don mind, is quite fun! Most taxi run meter, but due to demand in tourism industry, most will give you a fixed price. It costs between 200 to 300 Nepalese for short distance. From HIYA to airport, it should cost around 500/700 but always ask the price before taking a taxi. All major site-seeing like Patan, Bhaktapur, Swayambunath require an entrance fees. Local is free..so to speak we pay for them. Not all site-seeing are clean, but it worth a trip to explore.

Nepalese Food
Dal Bhat (pulses and rice) is the staple food of Nepalese, that is eaten twice a day. Momo, like Chinese steam dumpling. I ate this almost everyday, is yummy! I only choose Vegetarian. HIYA offer very nice MOMO, MUST TRY!

Village/Children
Generally, most villagers are poor, and lots of kids will run after you for $, please do not spoilt them with money, if you can, bring some sweets or chocolates and give it to them, I think is good to educate them instead of given them money.

Nepal, unlimited beauty and sacred places you can find on earth! Be prepare to adventure, is a great place with beautiful culture and people. 1 USD=72 (+/-) in Nepal currency.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank anirum
München
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I enter a paradise - this was my impression when I closed the big blue entrance door behind me and entered this wonderful situated retreat. After having spent a couple of days in the city of Kathmandu with all its pollution, noise and busy life it was now the best that I could do. I wanted to stay for one week - it should become nearly two weeks.
What is the yoga and meditation offered by Dr. Suboth in this wonderful garden? It is yoga going back to the origins, not only as a simple body practise. Here you can experience yoga as a way of life, yoga as a philosophy, yoga as a science that brings body, mind and soul together. I enjoyed Dr. Suboths instructions concerning the background of yoga and his explainings about meditation ... He is a brillant teacher and he does his work with full competence and by heart. As a yoga teacher I know very well about the distinction between honest teaching and practice on the one hand and the reducing practice of yoga as a kind of fitness program.
I enjoyed a lot breakfast, lunch and dinner very much, thanks to the kitchen, thanks to Bipin; the cook; and I enjoyed as well Jeenas phantastic ayurvedic and thai massages. Theres would have been no better way to prepare my annapurna trekking tour. I enjoyed our excursions to the monasteries in the neighbourhood, to Patan, to Bhaktapur ...
Thanks toall of you for your friendy and open-heart way.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
pordenone
Reviewed 16 August 2009

we spent 8 days at HIYA and had a great time, wonderful graden, peaceful environment, all the staff did it's best to make us feel comfortable and relax. All I was looking for to start in a relaxing way my encounter with Nepal: 2 hours of yoga each day, organic and vegetarian food, ayurvedic treatments, clean air, warm family feeling. absolutely great.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Boston
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I found HIYA while staying in Thamel and needing to escape the city pollution and in need of some mental and physical rejuvenation. This random find ended up being one of the highlights of my 18 month trip around the world.

HIYA is a unique combination of three things ... 1- a quiet, secluded and comfortable hotel/lodging - more like a very upscale campsite really. 2 - a truly original yoga, meditation, and alternative medicine clinic 3 - a relaxing, full service retreat of great food, nature, and peace of mind.

I did an incredible package including lodging, food, yoga lessons, meditation guidance, nature walks and was treated like a 5star hotel guest the whole time... the 3-4 day package was very affordable from what i remember (and the food was terrific, and healthy)...

Though I live across the world, I will likely visit HIYA again in the future. Thank you Mr. Rajan and Dr. S(and family).

Best wishes...
AK

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathmandu
Kantipur Temple House
#8 of 198 in Kathmandu
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
#64 of 433 in Kathmandu

Been to Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center? Share your experiences!