“A place to relax in the middle of Kathmandu”

Pilgrims Guest House
Ranked #8 of 438 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Lucerne, Switzerland
“A place to relax in the middle of Kathmandu”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visited Nepal for the fifth time and I am always coming back to the Pilgrim's Guesthouse during my stage in Kathmandu. It's located perfectly central in Thamel.
Actually I don't like the noisy and busy Thamel, so the Pilgrim's is a wonderful place to escape. Firstly the Garden Restaurant is very beautiful and wonderfully decorated with tibetan prayer flags.

There is free wifi that works really well. Also the staff is very friendly and funny, it's always lovely to have a talk to them!
They also offer bookings for tourist bus and other things and they even have a taxi service to pick you up at the airport for a very reasonable price.
The rooms were just newly renovated and are very nice and comfortable and really clean!! The bed is very cozy, the bathroom is simple but okay and there is a hot shower! There are also bigger rooms for 4 people, if you travel in a group.
I really feel like home there and I will come back for sure the next time I visit Nepal!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank karin_amrhein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Yogyakarta
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I got to know the place by a friend recommendation. I like how I can stay the whole day without getting out much and just wanted to rest in after long journey trekking outside Kathmandu. It's located in Thamel but it's nice and much more quiet. I love staying at the 4th floor and have my privacy. The people here are friendly and feels like a family home. I love staying and meeting friends in the garden they have downstair. I feel good in the laid back atmosphere of this place. Would drop by again next time I'm in Kathmandu.

Room Tip: Pick the one upstairs and with many lights. They have some good options.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank asrez
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 June 2014

- The staff were very friendly and laid back. Almost a little too laid back as it seemed like information from one shift wasn't passed on to the next. I felt like I got asked a lot of the same questions and had to re-explain often. There was a general disorganization about the place, though they were really nice.

- The only time I didn't appreciate the staff was when they forced me to make a purchase from the menu when I just wanted to sit in the outdoor seating area for a little while to update my journal. The area was mostly empty, so I wasn't filling up a crowded restaurant or anything. Then he made me wait for a while to pay the bill for mediocre food I didn't want in the first place. (Granted, some of the food is good. I recommend the Nepal-style breakfast.)

- I'm kind of picky about cleanliness. Maybe the towels were clean? But if they are laid on a probably-never-cleaned bedspread, all bets are off. They told me once the hot water was off in some room. But I didn't want to use the towel, so I didn't try to shower here. I found this hotel to be what I call "India clean" though it applies to Nepal, too. What this means to me is that the sheets and towels are probably hand-washed in cold water with weak detergent. So they don't really feel clean compared to even cheap hotels in a western country. But if you can live with that (maybe you are like me and carry your own pillowcase) then I suppose it was neat, at least. Though the windows were propped open - seemed like bugs could fly in easily, though I didn't have any problems in December.

-Location can't be beat. Staying in Thamel is very handy and fun. Close to tons of restaurants like the fancy but delicious Thamel House that you can easily walk to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank melf_the_elf
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We slept one night and was a terrible experience, without hot shower, the room was disgusting, the black color of the wall I'm speaking about the room was just grime, we paid per couple per night 18 dolars and was expensive, I saw places that look even better for just 8 dolar per couple per night! the location is in the beginning of Thamel but early in the night everything is dark.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MMAragones
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived lately in the evening, but received the bigger room without any problems . It was little bit more costly, but with really enough space for 2 people.
Hot water available in the evening and morning as well (really HOT). Internet worked in the room without major problems. Comfortable beds and sofa. 2 balconies.
Recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TomasF16
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We found this to be a pleasant option in the basic hotel category. The garden dining and social area was probably the highlight, though the two different rooms we experienced (before and after trek) were also clean enough and perfectly adequate (three-person rooms). We even had consistent hot water. The staff were friendly. The location is pretty good.
The only catch is that it might take some work to negotiate a decent price for the room and (obviously) for any tours or transport tickets that you might choose to purchase through the hotel. You'll need to bargain. At the end of the day, it's a fairly basic place, so the price should not be too high. The food in the restaurant is nothing special, but it's still worth having breakfast in the garden and hanging out later for a quiet beer.
Overall, we were happy with the Pilgrims Guest House and we would probably come back on any future visit to Nepal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stazzas
Male
Reviewed 11 March 2014

It is not over rated at all. It worth to stay there. in Nepal they use solar heating system so the hot water will come in different period. This is not a problem for me.When I arrived Pilgrim guest house I feel it like home. the staffs are smiling and provide good service. I lived in the deluxe room and has a nice balcony and it was really comfortable ,every night had nice sleep. the location are convenient and you can reach to anywhere you want. The breakfast are delicious and tasted and there various options . Happy stay there and I had relaxing journey !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo