“Good Value”

Hotel Kathmandu View
Ranked #274 of 455 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This hotel is good value with a central location. The staff are very friendly and helpful. One problem was the water for showering was almost always brown. I was given a room with a balcony which was great, nice to sit out and enjoy the cool air. I found all the staff to be always helpful and would always ask if everything was ok. Like all the hotels in Kathmandu the power was a problem going off for hours at a time . However you can not blame the property for that.
Brian

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kathmandu View

Reviewed 23 September 2012

This place has it all. Whatever you want to do, ask the Manager who can help with anything you need. It is centrally located in Thamel section. It also has it's own restaurant with excellent dishes from India and Nepal. There's a Travel Agency in-house, as well as a Cyber-Cafe that attracts many people. The rooms are Air Conditioning, clean, and hot and cold waters. I'm sure I'm missing more, like they have Laundry and so much more.
Everything was here, just as if like in the U.S.
Internet available throughout the hotel.

I give this Hotel 5 Stars. Contact them today.

Room Tip: Every room has good location, but see if street-view room is available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank John D
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We should have read what is written here ... We booked in advance and arrived late, otherwise I would have checked out for sure!
The location is good - that's the only positive thing I can say about this place. But there are so many other guesthouses in the same area, there is really no need to stay here.

We booked a suite to have a bit more space. The room was cramped with 3 beds - we only booked and needed one. The sheets were dirty and everything felt like I would rather not touch it. The bathroom was stained, the toilet seat loose, no light and open wires.

The hotel calls itself a business hotel but we did not find a single accessible power outlet in the complete room and the hotel did not have a power generator, so around 8 hours every day there's no power. That's normal for a cheap guesthouse but not for a business hotel. The promised wireless network was non-existent. The phone was dead.

The lights in the room are neon bright and noisy.

We had trouble to get food in time - though we booked with a breakfast buffet which should have started an hour earlier.

The staff can't help the situation much but they are not especially friendly and helpful either.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is my friend's hotel and OK for low-budget travellers. Service is nice and the hotel is located to Thamel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Roy S
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I found the hotel to be very special because of the services offered. I booked a four day tour around Nepal from the hotel last minute with a great rate and had a fantastic time

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank sadelsob
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed here with a friend in Oct 2009. We booked on the internet and were very disapointed when we got there. We were collected from the airport which was a great bonus bu the hotel was very dark and cold. The running water wasnt hot and I think we had the WORST pillow I have ever had. I think it was made of elephant hair wrapped aroung a boulder!!!!! We planned on returning to this hotel following a trip to Chitwan but changed our minds after just one night there. Thank goodness we hadnt paid for all of the stay. Like I say- you get what you pay for but it wasnt the cheapest on the net it just looked ok.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here several nights during our stay in Nepal and grew to have sort of a love/hate relationship with this place! This place has a lot of potential, and if it had a manager that actually cared about the place, it could be a great hotel, due to it's great location in Thamel and due to it's balcony rooms (which were the only reason we stayed here multiple nights). My husband and I loved to relax on the balcony and watch the life of the locals who were often out on their rooftops. We also found that we had free Wi-Fi whether it was from the hotel or the Weizen Bakery below, I am not sure, but it worked great.
Our favorite room was #406. We discovered the rooms vary considerably so before agreeing to any price be sure to check the room and also be sure to agree in advance if this includes the taxes. There are many things this hotel could improve upon. For example the cleanliness of the room. Thamel is very dusty and so are the rooms. I paid the housekeeper extra to re-clean and vacuum the room, when I noticed the poor lady was working with archaic, outdated' ancient machine that made lots of noise but picked up nothing (note to Management: Get a new vacuum cleaner). The fan which we needed to drown out the noise had thick layers of black dust which we cleaned off ourselves. The fan was also broken and when we asked one of the workers if he could fix it, he asked my husband if he had a screwdriver. My husband spliced together the wires himself and we had a working fan. They also need to replace that dust-mite filled carpet with linoleum or tile. The worst thing about this hotel is one of the worker's at the front desk. He was all friendly when he thought he could try to sell us a tour, but once we decided on not taking their highly overpriced tour to Chitwan, the friendliness was gone. In fact my husband carried down a bag we were wanting to leave in the luggage room, but the desk clerk was busy on Facebook and told my husband "in the morning" and went back to his Facebook chats. So my husband had to lug the bag back up 4 flights of stairs. Of course Mr Facebook couldn't be aroused in the morning, and we forced to leave the back with the security guard who spoke no English. Our bag did end up in the luggage room and our belongings were fine. The balcony was great for our first time in Nepal, and I am glad we stayed here, although I am not sure I would do it again!

Room Tip: #406 has a comfortable mattress and a nice balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple