“Excellent Value and Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-la Boutique Hotel

Shangri-la Boutique Hotel
Ranked #51 of 436 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Seoul, South Korea
“Excellent Value and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked my stay at the Shangri-la Boutique Hotel and because I was busy working before my departure, I did not make any other firm plans for my visit in Nepal. The Hotel manager helped put together a sightseeing and travel itinerary that made my stay to pleasant. I was taken to all the important temples, via hotel taxi, picked up and dropped off for personally arranged appointments and taken on the three day trek through the low laying mountains and countryside. I did not have a lot of time to spend in Nepal and they made my tip an absolutely memorable one.
The hotel is clean and friendly and offers super value. I will definitely stay there again, when I am in Nepal

Room Tip: I would spring for the private rooms that have en-suite bathrooms. It is not too much more and worth...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Keshab K, Owner at Shangri-la Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Leannelmburton,
We are really happy to read your wonderful review.And we are always there to help each and every guest of our hotel.
We are looking forward to see you in future nevertheless we will try our best to provide better service in future.

With Warm Regards
Keshab Karki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rosario, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed there a couple of nights! Rooms are ok but very small. Also bathrooms are very small. There was not fun in the rooms so consider it if you want to stay in summer time. Terrace in incredible nice and staff are really good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Keshab K, Manager at Shangri-la Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Your review is highly appreciable.In the case of room.We are almost ninety percentage renovation of the construction is succeed so in future definitely we will make a room a little bit bigger than the usual one.We are so delighted that to read about the Terrace and the staff.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was well priced and in a good location but had a lot of faults for a new hotel. There is no electric for the majority of the day, supposedly due to power cuts hmmmmm very odd especially seen as the staff knew exactly when this power cut would finish usually at 9pm, no other hotel, restaurant or shop in the area seems to be effected. One day we wanted our room to be cleaned and hug the sign on the door, when we returned the room was had not been cleaned because apparently there is only one key which we had on ourselves, what kind of hotel only has one key to a room. Also the room was very cramped and cluttered and there was no fan. The shower was nice and hot and the breakfast couldn't be faulted.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Keshab K, Manager at Shangri-la Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2015
thank you for choosing shangrila boutique hotel in kathmandu we are very happy to serve youb during your stay in our hotel we will be very happy to see you again again !!!

we will be very happy to welcome you again in near future !!!
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Shangri-La guest house for six nights after a couple of weeks of constant travelling all over northern India - we were tired and needed a break before heading back to our country so we flew over to Kathmandu in order to escape the constant chaos and there we found exactly what we needed.

First off the location couldn't be any better for a foreigner (especially if your significant other significantly happens to enjoy shopping) ; you are in the middle of Thamel, yet secluded from all the noise and constant motion seeing as the hotel itself is located approximately one minute away from one of the main streets, all the way up a quieter alley ; noone goes out of their way to venture there, therefore there is no noise whatsoever (with the exception of birds singing and the occasional motorbike or generator). You are on your own little island in the middle of everything, it is all in reach and whenever you get bored or tired you just have to make that one left turn to call it a day and make it home. Convenient.

The rooms themselves are very cosy. They are merely on the small size but they have all the essentials, the bed is neat, the decoration is colorful and intriguing with a lot of original paintings and hand-made felt items (you can purchase some from their own factory if you like) and our private bathroom was functional (we were staying in the one good room on the top floor next to the restaurant and rooftop).

The staff is incredibly nice and friendly. They are very respectful and made us feel like we were at home really quickly ; the food they make at the restaurant is carefully crafted and delightfully served. Every morning they serve a different (complementary) breakfast with new special items of various origins ; the ingredients are always remarkably fresh, making every morning a treat. My girlfriend usually doesn't even really like breakfasts and skips them most of the time, yet every morning during our stay at Shangri-La guest house she was the one waking me up every single morning at 7:30 so that we could be up and ready as soon as possible in order to get ours, see what was on the menu and enjoy the food. To me that really says something. We had a few dinners there too, even though we would always settle for the usual sandwiches and momo's they were always really nice too. Finally as far as food is concerned, if for some reason you feel like going somewhere else for lunch or dinner, Gaia restaurant & coffee shop is barely 30 seconds away up the street and one of the best restaurants in Thamel.

The staff was also really helpful and kept offering many services to us until they realized that we were mostly staying in Kathmandu to take a break and didn't expect much from them, then they rightfully respected our privacy. The manager even sent a few employees along with us at some point to show us around and take us to a shop of felt items they own that my girlfriend wanted to check out, even though it was a 10-minute walk away from the hotel then back.

The only negative experience we had during our stay had nothing to do with the hotel itself ; merely with the nearby laundry service located in a 'hole in the wall'-type of office further down the street (just between Gaia and Amrit Marg). There is no laundry service at the hotel itself so my guess is that potential guests who would like their clothes washed might be tempted to trust that place which happens to be conveniently located, in order to do so - which is why I want to address the issue here. We paid and handed over 15 clothing items to that office with specific instructions on how everything should be done, the man looked like he had a clue so he had our full trust. When we got the clothes back they were all completely destroyed - orange stains on every single items, washed-out pants and shirts, and a torn top that someone had tried to manually sew back together to no avail. When we went back to complain the guy actually went nuts and started shouting gibberish on how it wasn't his responsibility, how it was 'always happening' and 'everybody foreigner always wanted their money back'. Well no joke. Avoid that nearby laundry place like a plague !

All in all the Shangri-La guest house is a very nice place I would recommend to everyone ! I couldn't think of a better first introduction to Kathmandu and Thamel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aymeric N

we will be very happy to welcome you again in near future !!!
Sunnyside, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights in a dorm on the top floor in May 2014. They offered free airport pick-up, and were there when I arrived. HOWEVER, once I got to the hotel, the manager stated that since i reserved the "cheap" room, my transfer was not free. Nowhere on the website is this announced or was I told beforehand. When I refused to pay the owner stated "you are American, you can afford it" - I was totally put off. I felt bad for the taxi driver just standing there so I paid him frustrated and I wanted my room. Once inside my dorm, I learned there were no electrical outlets or AC in the room and it was right outside of the kitchen and internet center which was very high traffic and loud from 5am - 11pm. Furthermore, my windows did not close which let in mosquitoes. I had to use my own net to sleep under! The staff were extremely nice, but seemed inexperienced and told me conflicting information. When I met with a tour agent provided by the hotel, he gave me atrocious prices compared to other outside agents, and his first words to me were "I can tell where you are from". It seems being American raises prices here. The best thing about this hotel was the AMAZING free breakfast and rooftop seating. For a budget room, it's a good find if you can stand the noise on the top floor and going down one floor to use a toilet/shower since the top level is shared by kitchen staff and smells really poorly. The Wifi was also very intermittent even without the blackouts. Lastly, the hotel is in a quiet area, which is great, but you have to walk down a very dark alley to get to the entrance, which feels uneasy at night.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the top floor, too much noise and poor bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
thank you for your suggestion to shangrila boutique hotel in kathmandu we will improve our weakness what you felt during your stay ,and also we are very happy to welcome you again
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Very nice place in thamel. Located near the garden of dreams. It's centrally located but you don't hear any noise. Very small room but nice, clean and well decorated. Hot water in bathroom. Great restaurant on the rooftop! Staff very very friendly!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

we will be very happy to welcome you with your friends and family in the near future !!!
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Nice hotel at thamel but out of noisy place the outer area is good and the restaurant best with small bar inside hotel staff are good i stau here for 3 night and all things are good the best things in this hotel is good enviroment and clean

Room Tip: top left room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family