“good for Kathmandu”
Review of Hotel Shakti

Hotel Shakti
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Remember.....this is Nepal, a third world country. If you are expecting the Hyatt or the Sheraton, you have come to the wrong country. The staff is helpful.....please do NOT act like a loud, demanding American. These sort of tactics do not work in a Buddhist country, it may work back home at your Motel 6. Be patient and you will be shown patience. A 50 rupee note to the bellhop or housekeeper does wonders(50 cents). Breakfast is included with certain room plans..toast, pancakes, eggs, fried potatoes, assorted drinks and juice.....simple! The hotel is in Thamel part of town. A quiet oasis away from the city center of Dunbar Square where it is noisy, congested, and dusty. There is even a simple 'hole-in-the-wall' restaurant serving simple fare...chow mein, fried rice, thunka(soup), potatoe fingers. It is out the right walkway and to the right about 20 meters. A simple billboard says Satkar Restaurant. I ate there 4-5 times without any issues. When in third worl countries, you do not want issues with food! The best time for a hot shower is 10AM, when the trekkers have left the hotel to begin their trek. I believe(?), the higher the floor, the more hot water....maybe closer to the hotel hot water tank...lol. As in any hotel, but especially third world countries...bring your ear plugs, extra bar soap, and toilet paper!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 304 ....no complaints
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kcchin

Reviewed 5 November 2012

It’s almost impossible for me to give 0 stars to any hotel I’ve stayed at as even the worst hotel would have one redeeming quality to give it 1 star. However, the Hotel Shakti is the first hotel I’ve stayed at to earn 0 stars.

I stayed here as part of a Gecko Adventures tour to Annapurna & Chitwan and this is Gecko’s chosen hotel for Kathmandu. I stayed for 2 nights (14th and 15th October) at the beginning and 2 nights at the end of my tour (24th & 25th October). It would have been even longer had the hotel not overbooked and diverted me to the Hotel Harati on my first night in Kathmandu on 13th October (they did not inform me of the change beforehand nor did they tell me that I would be checking out on the 14th October to move to the Hotel Shakti AND I had to pay for my own taxi to get to the Hotel Shakti even though it was their mistake – though the Hotel Shakti did begrudgingly refund my taxi cost ultimately).

When I got to the hotel – I was given room 003 on the ground floor which looked like a store room converted into a bedroom with a desk pushed up against one of the beds (oh, both beds were of different size). There was no fridge, airconditioner or TV, the bedsheets and towels had a bad smell and no in-room drinking water was provided. On my insistence, they changed my room to the 3rd floor the next morning which was a slightly better room.

On my return on 24th October, I was put into a room 106 on the first floor – again, just horrible. My room mate from the tour didn’t even have blankets and we both needed to use sleeping bags on the beds (photos below) to get some sleep. The mattresses and pillows were like concrete. The bathrooms have no separation between the toilet and shower area and it was all very grotty, unhygienic and decrepit (photos attached).

The staff was completely disorganised – at one stage they even ran out of US$ to convert money back from Nepalese Rupees and even charged for internet access (when free WiFi access was available literally EVERYWHERE else in Kathmandu). The power kept going out though they did have an external generator (but it wouldn't power anything other than a solitary bulb in the room to prevent you from walking into a wall/furniture) - it wouldn't provide any power to the wall outlets.

I would not recommend staying at the Hotel Shakti at all and have informed Gecko (through our tour guide) to change from Hotel Shakti to another hotel in the Kathmandu.

Room Tip: If you were forced to stay here - try to get a room on the 3rd floor. Newer looking, with air condi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jay B
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The location is real close to Thamel for shopping and eating, dont bother with breakfast as it's basic and expensive, turn right out of the alleyway and head to Thamel 200 yards there is Revolution Cafe great prices and excellant breakfasts.
The rooms are basic with no noise suppression, so you here all the dogs barking etc.
Beds are very hard
Power cuts are normal, they do have back up lights. power points in reception still work to charge phones.
WiFi only worked downstairs and outside, but not on 1st floor.
Outside gardens are a nice clean change from the dirty streets.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking up stairs, try the 3rd floor, we were on the 1st and you got the noise...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed at Shakti before and after our Geckos trek, so we didn't have a choice where we stayed but we found Shakti to be very good. The rooms small and basic but comfortable, the showers had hot water and good water pressure and the staff were very helpful. The rooms could have been a bit cleaner, the bathroom had a bit of a smell about it most of the time, so we had to keep the door closed so that it wouldn't waft into the bedroom. The location is great, in a quiet street and only a minutes walk into the centre of Thamel. Overall it's not a bad choice, maybe opt for a deluxe room if you have a choice, i had a peak into one of them and they looked a lot nicer and bigger than the basic ones.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmakate01
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We did not specifically pick this hotel, like many others that stay it was part of a Geckoes tour.

We found the hotel to be plesent enough on the ground floor. Our room was a little ‘grotty’ should we say: Cracked toilet that leaked, pillows that are yellow and a little sticky....I guess just not fully clean. But like many, we had just landed in Kathmandu and so still suffering from a little ‘culture shock’ we accepted it and made the most of it (that not to say it was anywhere near unbearable though please note).

The Garden, lounge, bar and restaurant were fine, no problems. The food prices were a little hefty so watch out there, we strongly recommend being brave and trying some of the restaurants in the immediate area as there as some great ones just a short stroll out of the hotel complex.

The location is by far the best plus point of the hotel, there are two gates into the grounds both lead directly onto busy streets and you are right in the heart of the city, a short walk from...everywhere it seems. IDEAL.

The staff were helpful enough, the breakfast was good not the biggest selection but enough (again a tad pricey).

The small things: Wi-Fi was ‘OK’ on the ground floors but we found it to be all but useless in our particular room. Power cuts are a regular occurence in Kathmandu (and Nepal), there is a generator so no worries there. The fan in the room was sufficient in the October heat. Although Aircon would have been nice, we accept this as a luxury only and would not factor it into our opinion of the hotel.

In a nut shell, Id say if you have not been anywhere like Kathmandu before you may want to pay more and get some more home comforts. If your even relatively well travelled book away.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel before and after our trek to Everest Base Camp. It is in a good location, close to Thamel but off the street so it is surprisingly quiet. Our room was basic and clean and the shower always had hot water. The restaurant had good food and there was a nice comfortable garden to sit in. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were able to use the Internet and make international phone calls for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 25 August 2012

First, the pros. The location is pretty good, since it is a walking distance from the shops, but far enough away that it is quiet. They have a cute garden.

Cons: room stinks of mold, they charge for their extremely slow Internet (I need to stay connected for work, so choose my hotels by their claims of having wifi), and the sheets were damp (brings me back to the mold...).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo