“Good location, shame about the management and hotel!”
Review of Hotel Shakti

Hotel Shakti
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Good location for Thamel, close to the bazaars for last minute Trek gear and Supermarket. Also close to many great restaurants. The rooms vary from very basic to moderately equipped. The room I had for the first couple of nights was a twin room, even though I asked for double. Had an untiled bathroom (other rooms were tiled and had bath tubs. This was more of a wet room. Most nights we were kept awake by the crowing cockerel or the sounds of revving scooters (if it's even possible to rev those things). When we returned from the Trek the hotel room was moderately better and bed was more comfortable. Breakfast is very good, with friendly staff in hotel restaurant. We left our suitcases with the hotel, whilst we went trekking, upon our return we were given back our suitcases which were in a filthy state. They had been placed in a room next too where some construction work was taking place, with no thought to covering up the suitcases whilst the work was carried out. When we needed to checkout later than planned, due to late night flight, the hotel management then became disagreeable and unaccommodating. We had explained the late checkout to our Trek organizer long before arriving in KTM, and we were told there would be no issue and no extra charges. On the day, the hotel manager made demands for money to be paid in US dollar for the extra 3 hours the room was needed for. Eventually the issue was resolved by our Trek operator. Given the choice, i wouldn't come back and stay here or recommend this to anyone, given the treatment we received on our last day by the manager.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Satinder2212
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shakti

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Don't judge this hotel by Western standards. There are certainly cheaper in Kathmandu, but it depends what you want. Situated at the north end of Thamel, its close enough to be convenient, but in its own grounds, its far enough away to be quiet. I found the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and the ones I stayed all had a bath with a shower. Breakfast was often buffet style, but was more than adequate. And the gardens were an oasis of calm away from the chaos of Thamel.

Room Tip: the rooms in the new wing are better appointed and lighter than the ones on the main building
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ForeverBlue40
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed here one night before and three nights after my Geckos trek to Mt Everest base camp and while I opted to stay the extra two nights I wouldn't return. Some of the staff is lovely, others are very rude but as a young female foreigner travelling alone for the last two night I felt very safe. The breakfast is very expensive compared to the rest of Kathmandu and there is much nicer food available within a 5 minute walking distance. My rooms were nice and clean with good bathrooms.

Room Tip: third floor is good
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here first night and last night of a Geckos 14 day Everest Base Camp Trek.

Firstly, I have to say that the management and staff were extremely friendly, helpful and kind, always had a smile for us and offered to assist in any way possible. Thank you.

There are 2 little garden areas front and back which are a welcome bonus as a place to sit, read, relax or even have a meal.
Location is just on the edge of the Thamel District so fairly nicely placed to get around to and from the shops and tourist places.

Let's remember that this is a Budget Hotel and I believe the price of USD$31 approx. .....reflects the rooms and services.
The rooms themselves certainly need some attention. Of course it is an old building and the shower in some rooms is practically over the top of the toilet and basin which makes using the bathrooms quite messy. The water was more often cold than hot but you do need to check with reception to find out when hot water is available. The mattresses I had were extremely uncomfortable and the towels leaved a lot to be desired, tatty and worn looking.
Yes, we all know about power outtages but it certainly makes it challenging when 14 trekkers wish to send emails and charge their equipment before heading up the mountain and there is no power, limited lighting and no hot water.
Then when returning from a gruelling 14 day trek to Everest Base Camp and Kalar Patar...all a gal wants is a HOT shower and a clean and comfortable bed.
Of course I have stayed in a lot worse on my travels and I feel that the price instantly reflects what you get.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

i stayed here more than one week in one of their delux rooms. The rooms are very nice, spacious and clean. bathroom is with bathtub and hot water always.
It is located near Thamel, but far enough to escape from the noise of this busy place.
breakfast was sometimes from menu sometimes buffet style, but both were excellent and a lot of choice.
the staff at the reception were very friendly and helped with everything. you can leave your luggage safe with them while going on a trekking or visiting other places.
internet is also available at very low price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cindy l
Reviewed 25 April 2013

On the edge of Thamel. Music at nights at times. Rooms are good depending on which you get. What makes this place great is the staff. Very very helpful and I would stay here again. Great little gardens outside to chill in and escape the hustle and bustle and dust of Kathmandu. Location is awesome. About 40 minutes from airport depending on traffic. Close walk to many many restaurants and cheap Thamel shopping.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MatthewSurawski
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed in Hotel Shakti before and after my trek to Everest Base Camp. Hotel is basic and clean compared to other places I stayed in Nepal. Room sizes vary and there are some local music venues nearby so depending on the room and night that you stay, earplugs are recommended.

Be prepared for shower to be located over the toilet (similar to a lot of places I have stayed in Asia). Hot water can be a bit hit and miss. Having my own shower after a trek felt like a luxury despite this.

Staff are very friendly and helpful and stored some of my luggage when I was off trekking.

There is a small garden at the back of the hotel which is like an oasis when you want to escape the busy streets of KMD.

Limited room comforts are offset by the close location to Thamel and the great restaurants nearby.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo