“Very Happy experience!”

Ranked #13 of 439 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
london
“Very Happy experience!”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have spent two nights at the hotel. I have found the experience well deserving of a good review! A taxi was waiting for me at the airport (pick up was free). The managers of the hotel are brothers and look after the guests well. Throughout my stay all of the staff were professional and friendly. There was a calm and peaceful atmosphere inside the hotel considering it was in excellent location (the heart of Thamel). The room was spacious and there was free WiFi available.

We wanted to go to Chitwan to Safari. Everything was arranged for us which included my journey there and pick up at Chitwan as well as the hotel stay. We did not have any hassle getting to Chitwan. I felt the staff went out of their way to organise this for me.

We were also given good tips of the places to visit in Kathmandu as well as what to look out for in Chitwan. We were also given local advice on the area while we stayed and useful local customs.

Down side - there isn't one... but I feel I must mention this as it can be a shock coming from Europe.. there are scheduled power cuts (however, the hotel does have a generator) and the streets are not as well lite; however it was safe, we felt safe and there were police around.. the area is alive 24 hours.

I would come back to this place again!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ash w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The hotel had a very clear bias towards foreign guests and we, as Indians, felt a little unwelcome. The rooms were decent. There was no restaurant attached to the hotel and the morning breakfast of toast and tea was atrocious. The hotel tried to cheat on little things like airport drop, breakfast inclusion etc. Location was ok as the hotel is in Thamel

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank vineet_bhuwania
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Unfortunately, we don't remember a great deal about this place. It's down the street from where we stayed previously at Hotel Silver Home (closer to the main road in Thamel). We do remember that our room was clean, and had good lighting and a slightly better bed than at Silver Home for around the same price (around 1000 rupees a night). We had issues with the hot water the whole time we were there, and each day talked about how we'd look for a new guest house to stay in. Each day I'd also ask the nice boy at the reception if there was any hot water, and he'd reply that yes there was. Of couse there wasn't, and this became a running joke between the two of us. Can't remember about working wi-fi, but I believe that there wasn't any, or there was supposed to be and it didn't work. Can't say for sure. Overall, an unmemorable place, maybe slightly better than Hotel Silver Home.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I and my friend stayed in ‘Hotel The Greatwall’ for 3 night and everything was great, the people running it were some of the nicest people I have ever met.
It's a good place with good people.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank roit s
greatwallnepal, Manager at Hotel The Great Wall, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear roit s,

We are glad that you enjoy your stay at our hotel and thank you for such a nice write up. Really appreciate it and looking forward welcoming you again.

Warm Regards.
Hotel The Greatwall Family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 December 2011

As soon as I arrived at the Kathmandu airport I found Great Wall int'l hotel airport representative and he took me to their hotel. I was really impressed on arrival after Thailand it seemed so different! Compare to Thailand. Tour/travel desk was really helpful and gave us great information for jungle safari and hiking trip to Annapurna ghoripani (poonhill) . Mahendra is really trying to build good reputation and he is doing renovations during off season. Staff has good experience and understanding with English. I would advocate this hotel especially for everythings.
Robert
MD
USA

Room Tip: Front room is recommended!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank robert-it
greatwallnepal, Manager at Hotel The Great Wall, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
Dear Robert-it,

Thanks very much for your candid comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor Page. Great to hear that you had wonderful time here at HOTEL THE GREAT WALL. I will thanks to all my staff in hotel for making your holiday wonderful & Travel tour/travel agent desk. We look forward to welcome to hotel great wall in near future.

Best Regards,