We'd picked this hotel after reading all the amazing reviews from the internet, but sadly to find this place was a little bit of a let-down.
1. We arrived the hotel around 20:30 during the night ( good free airport pick up service btw). Me and my boyfriend were both quite tired and starving from the whole day travel ( overnight bus+flight from Bangkok to Kathmandu), so we were just hoping for a quick check in, grab something to eat and relax for the rest of the night.
Did not really go by the plan.
We were stucked in the office about 30 mins for the " check-in" process. As soon as we stepped in, I was softly "forced" to read all the good reviews on their guestbook, plus some translation jobs for the owner about the reviews (some are not in English). Thats about 15 mins or so while waiting for the welcoming tea. Then another 15 mins listen to him babbling about all the places to go and the packages he can offer. During the whole process he mentioned at least twice " Please write good reviews for us", but nothing about " Are you guys tired? Let me check you in now."
Ok, trying to be helpful and friendly is one thing, but over-pushing and neglecting needs from the guests is another. Not the best hospitality.
2. The owner learned we were starving, so he quickly suggested us the restaurant right around the corner. He said they have amazing momo and set Thali, and he can lead the way. It was late and we had no idea where else to go atm, so we went for the restaurant. WORST MEAL in Kathmandu perhaps! Skins of those monos were super dry and tough, and the Thali set was very very salty. People in the restaurant were nice, but def not the best meal you can get. AVOID!
3. Room was fine but did not look like the photos. We booked a double room, but were given a triple( one single and one " double"). No problem at all, that happens all the time. The problem is that the " double bed" is hardly a double, its more like an extra size single; you might be able to fit in two small girls, but way too small for a couple ( especially Westerners). So we had to pull two beds together, which created an uncomfortable gap in between. Honestly not sure how can the room accommodate three persons? Maybe the Hobbits!? The owner showed us another room with one bigger bed, looked a bit better, but after a huge cockroach showed up on a wall, I'd decided to go back to the first room.
4. Over-charged us the exchange rate.
We booked the room through booking.com in USD, but we only got Rps with us, so paying with it the next morning when we check out. The owner said, not a problem, the exchange rate is " 97". I was skeptical us when we checked online the night before, the rate was less. Unfortunately it was our first day in Nepal and everything was closed the night before, so we did not get the change to check up the street rate. I was asking the owner " the exchange rate seems a bit high?!", but he answered " No, everywhere you go will be 97, you can go out and check it out by yourself." We paid and left the hotel, soon the exchange rate at the first shop we saw was " 95", then " 94", then " 93.5". The second hotel we went for charged us "94.45" daily bank rate ( they checked online right infront of us), which was much more fair.
Conclusion: There was nothing really wrong about the hotel itself; rooms are spacious and clean, toilet not the best but its the common style of Nepal, no biggy. Can not common on the hot shower part us we did not spend enough time there; but for the night and next morning there were hot water both times.In general, it is not bad at all. But there were small bits and pieces bothering us, mainly due to the overly-pushing owner, bad recommandation of food and high exchange rate. You might find yourself liking the hotel if you dont mind those small details, but, it was not our cup of tea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel The Great Wall is just 25 minutes away from Tribhuvan International Airport which is located centrally in Thamel. Guests can expect simple and clean room with personalized service here. There are lots of shops, eateries, entertainment hubs and malls around. 24 hours ATM lounges are few walks away from the hotel. In addition, it caters to the people around the world and assist with tours, trekking, expeditions, sight seeing and more. Hotel has more repeated guests and walk in clients everyday. Prior booking is must to stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel The Great Wall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.