“I was here almost every day while in KTM...”

Himalayan Java Coffee
Ranked #1 of 12 Dessert in Kathmandu
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Speciality Coffee Shop, promoting Nepali Coffee since 1999
Sydney, Australia
“I was here almost every day while in KTM...”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

If you’re craving a decent coffee after a long trek, this is the place to go. Except the coffee isn't decent, it’s amazing! I would even go as far as saying it’s the best I've had. The large cafe on Tridevi Sadak opposite Fire and Ice Pizzeria is the largest and best franchise from my experiences with Himalayan Java in the Thamel and Durbar Square area. It offers free wi-fi at all times of the day, great western food (including croissants and panini sandwiches), comfy couches and power-points to plug in your laptop. Be sure to try their icy cold coffee blends too. For chocolate lovers, an ice cool Brownicinno will ensure to regain all the weight lost whist trekking!

• Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
“Nice place for coffee, wifi, chat with people – food choice too limited”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went really often in the HJC Tridevi Margh and a couple of times in the one in Thamel.
Waht I appreciate in both: wifi and many accessible plugs.

The one in Thamel is well situated, but wifi was slower and electricity cuts lastetd long. It was less annoying for computer and internet than for the fan, which stopped working.
I had the BLT sandwich there: the bread was really bad. It fell appart and was very dry. The fries were good and I got "sweet ketchup", which was also OK.
Drinks are good, although my plain lassi was slightly too sweet.

The one on Tridevi is a bit more crowded, but it’s easy to meet people there. The food is decent, but sandwiches and paninis are served with simple potato crisps and spicy ketchup. I never finished these. The black forest cake looks appetizing but is tasteless. The chocolate brownie with walnuts is really good, but sometimes a bit too sweet in my opinion. Plain lassi is really good, the cafe latte delicious. I had once the coleslaw salad + potato salad, which was quite good (maybe too much dressing). I also had one breakfast: the omelette was just OK.
Wifi is most of the time really quick. I had only one bad day in many. If the electricity falls out, it’s back after one or two minutes.

I guess the "too much" habit (sugar, dressing, mustard etc.) is a Nepalse habit. Just ask for less.
The service is indeed a bit slow, but I was working anyway. So it didn’t really bother me. The staff has always been really friendly, and the rest rooms are clean.

I understand the food there is rather thought as "snacks", I would still appreciate more food choice and more diversity on the menu: if you spend many days there, you really don’t feel like ordering food anymore.

As for the price, it’s a bit higher than on other places, but nobody forces you to spend more even if you stay a whole day there working with their internet. My average spending there would be between rp. 800 and 1000 per day, service charge and taxes included.

• Visited May 2014
Makati, Philippines
“Coffee haven in Kathmandu!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

After spending more than a week trekking in the Annapurna region, it felt like such a relief to finally be in a quiet modern cafe in the heart of Kathmandu for some really good coffee. Wifi was fast, barista service was friendly and efficient, and the no-bake blueberry cheesecake was totally delicious. I was very pleased with the way my blended caramel macchiato turned out: not too sweet and with an awesome strong coffee taste.

I liked the vibe of the place, which had bookshelves in a corner containing an impressive collection of brand new paperbacks for sale. There were a lot of customers (a mix of foreigners and Nepalese) but the crowd isn't too distracting if you plan to do some reading or working on your laptop. I will definitely go here again the next time I'm in Kathmandu.

• Visited April 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Best coffe latte in the world!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in Kathmandu for 3 days and we started every morning with a visit to Java to enjoy their coffee. Great service, super good latte and the odd time, my wife and I would share and enjoy a warmed up chocolate fudge brownie - to die for! A visit to Kathmandu is not complete until you visit this place - highly recommended - part of the Nepal experience!

Visited April 2014
Surrey
“Simply superb coffee in KTM”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We visited the one in Civil Mall this time but still had an excellent cup of coffee. In a country where milky coffee, nescafe, is often served, it's great to be able to guarantee a good cup of coffee from the bean itself. Kathmandu's equivalent of Costa.

• Visited May 2014