“Cafe Mitra is excellent for those who want something different in the centre of Thamel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kathmandu
Cafe mitra bed & breakfast
Ranked #104 of 469 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The ambience is terrific and service could not be bettered. The owner Kumal will delight you with stories of people and places in Kathmandu. Take note that very friendly dogs are very much a part of the Cafe Mitra scene.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Lotusmoon, Owner at Cafe mitra bed & breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2015

We are so happy that you both enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for your glowing and encouraging words; they mean a lot to us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Café Mitra Rooms Team, and the Dogs

Reviewed 8 December 2012

There were four of us, occupying three rooms for two nights, on a missionary visit to Nepal. The rooms were comfortable and spacious, the food good and reasonably priced. The owner, Kabal, could not have been more helpful, particularly when one of our group was taken ill and had to be transported to hospital at 4am.

Our only criticism is that the rooms were not serviced during our stay, which meant returning to a dirty bathroom, but other than that we could not fault it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Walking around Thamel can be a pretty intense, unnerving experience at first and I always looked forward to walking into Cafe Mitra's lovely courtyard. We really enjoyed Debendra's hospitality and resourcefulness throughout our stay. We also left our luggage with them and returning after three weeks of trekking around Nepal, we were greeted by Debendra like old friends. My only caveat is if you're an early sleeper, it gets a bit noisy on some nights because the windows face the courtyards and many enjoy al fresco dining at Cafe Mitra.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank theway02
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

Right in the heart of Thamel, a peaceful oasis. The rooms are clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The owner and staff are wonderful, and it's amazing to find this calm in Thamel. It's upper-mid-range cost for Kath, but worth every penny. The breakfast is great, the dogs are fun and they have a collection of newspapers to while away the morning with a good cup of coffee ...

Also, if you have dinner, the chili chicken wings are awesome!

If I thought I'd be back to Kathmandu frequently, I'd be tempted to keep this gem to myself ;-)

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank BarnaPaul
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This little abode is a precious one. . . .few rooms and great great food. Make a reservation to avoid disappointments. Cocktails are great too. Made with love and devotion. Spinach filled pancake and a great caprese salad.

Room Tip: This is in the centre of Thamel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank moira-anne
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Beautiful, clean, well-decorated rooms set in a lovely little garden just near Yak Restaurant. It's easy to miss, look for the little red circular sign with a sun on it. The food here is pricey but well worth it, as are the rooms. I have been in Nepal for 3 1/2 months now and I've been staying budget so this was a welcome treat! The owner is so great and takes wonderful care of his business and two dogs. The manager is very helpful and very sweet. Breakfast included was Delish. It's expensive for Kathmandu but I will reiterate, well worth it! I still go there for coffee just to chat with them now that I'm back to my budget hostels!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ElizabethmtY
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed in cafe Mitra for 4 nights and I really enjoyed it. I had a very nice and clean room, good breakfast and the staf was very helpfull.
They even had a hot shower also when there was no power ( which is a big problem in Nepal).
The only thing is that the bed was really too hard for me, so thats the only reason why I did not return back when I came back from India, I told this honestly to the staf and they told me they would put a top matras which is soft , so probably next time also that ( small ) problem is solved.
The boys who work there are a bit slow( simple breakfast took almost 30 minutes every day to make it and I was the only guest at that time.
Location is also great, in the middle of Thamel but very quiet in night time and safe for female travellers, very important.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo