“very nice hotel near central thamel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backyard Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Backyard Hotel
Ranked #15 of 190 Hotels in Kathmandu
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“very nice hotel near central thamel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel is very nice hotel located in central thamel,kathmandu,clean room,affordable price,nice staff (ESPECIALLY DEVEN,NISHAN MANISH)Thank you all gyus.keep it on.I am fully satisfied in this hotel.I WILL COME BACK AGAIN.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Aziz Rehman A
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest from Spain, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are glad you liked our place. All the best to you. Thank you.

Sunil Manandhar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chongqing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

i arrive here (backyard hotel)18 june i am very happy to be here.i first met nishan and manish they are very nicce boss durga is also very nice one.clean and verycomfortable rooms. Deven the new staff of this hotel is also very good.His service is very nice.I like this hotel very much.i will be back again. LOL

Room Tip: all rooms are ok to stay. meet deven and nishan very nice staff/
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank miachongqing
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest from China, Namaste!!

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel in May. I really don't understand the highly positive comments left about this hotel because I had a terrible time staying there. Here is my honest account of my stay at the Backyard.

Firstly my bra was stolen from my room on the first night and when I complained to the manager he couldn't care less and nothing at all was done about it. The manager also made an inappropriate personal comment to me on my second night with a big smirk on his face which left me speechless and feeling extremely uncomfortable. The staff (all male apart from the cleaners) continuously asked me if I was travelling alone which was really creepy.

The customer service was really bad. When I asked for a cup of complimentary tea they took 40 minutes to bring it to my room (arrived cold) and then the guy acted like they were doing me a big favor so I never asked again. I felt like they had a a problem serving women. I met some other women staying at the hotel and they agreed with this having had similar experiences with the staff. When I pointed out to the manager the exposed lamp wires hanging over the sink in the bathroom (clearly a health hazard) and asked if it was dangerous he just laughed, smirked and said no. I changed to another room on the second night and found the same problems.

I read reviews about the noise problem at the hotel but dismissed it thinking it can't be that bad, but take note it actually is. I was aware of two clubs in close proximity to the hotel. So close in fact I could clearly see people dancing in the clubs. The volume is loud enough to make you think you're actually 'in' the club. As tired as I was and using ear plugs I wasn't able to sleep on any night of my stay until the clubs closed and the music stopped at around 2am.

The breakfast was very basic and poor. For example the butter was tasteless so they add grainy salt to it which tastes disgusting. I opted to eat out thereafter.

My rooms were not very clean but were reasonably sized. I noticed there were loose electrical wires, broken sockets and dodgy DIY jobs all around the rooms and especially in the bathrooms.

The only positive worth mentioning is that although the bathroom was mouldy the hot water was very hot and available as far as I am aware 24 hours.

Luckily I was only staying at this hotel a couple of days before my trek and actually had a second booking with the Backyard for a few days after I returned, but cancelled it and stayed at another hotel.

I have travelled extensively and stayed in many types of accommodation but this is the first time I would not recommend a hotel. I would advise lone females especially to stay away due to my bra being stolen, the unwanted attention and comments and bad service, and even backpackers on a budget would do better to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Missgotty

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are really sorry for the inconvenience you had at our hotel. We will make sure this does not happen again in the future. All the best to you. Thank you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We came to this hotel on a whim, having looked around a few hotels, which weren't really up to much. They were full but Deven (the young manager) found us another place to stay, though not as nice but owned by the same management, with the promise of a night at this place the next night.
Deven was very accommodating, always wanted to make sure we had everything we needed, had time to have tea with us up on the roof terrace, and booked us taxis etc. The other staff were also very helpful and polite. Its service with a genuine smile here.
The room was clean, the water in the shower clear and hot (very lucky to have this in Nepal), complementary mineral water was provided.
There was a little noise from the club across the road but it was bearable. The only slightly off-putting thing was the pigeons in the backstreet outside the bathroom of our room (101) but for the clean hot water and the general standard of the room we could easily live with that.
The power isn't on all the time at the hotel so make sure you charge cameras etc at the right time.
We had previously stayed in a hotel in Kathmandu that was supposed to be a higher class and was more expensive but this place beat it hands down.
We liked this hotel so much we came back a second time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HectorChicken

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Spent 2 nights either side of a trip into the mountains. Friendly helpful staff and clean, reasonably sized rooms with roof terrace for enjoying meals and drinks. Great value, would stay here again....

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best
Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ricky A
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest from Australia, Namaste!!

South East England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I spent 2 night's in a doulble room with ensuite extremly clean, plenty of hot water.. Mini bar, air con, complementary drinking water and breakfast on the terrace with views of the vally. Excellent value for the traveller.
Travel desk for your every need's as far as traveling in and around the Kathamdu vally. or if you want a more adverture trip in Nepal they will talior your every need.
Thamel is the tourist hub so expect some noise from the local bar's in the evening but all is quiet after ten in the evening.
So long as you book with them before you arrive in Nepal they will pick you up in a very smart car and when you leave you will be transported in style to the airport this is all is comlimentry.

Room Tip: All rooms are good and clean
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Barbara B

Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in a double ensuite. Room was simple but very clean and hot water was available the whole day. The hotel has excellent location in Thamel. Some reviews complained about a disco noise, but we din't think it was loud and it didn't bother us. Staff was extremely nice and professional and can arrage you all kinds of tours and activities. We only stayed one whole day in Kathmandu and they planned with us how to make the most of it. Room price (for us it was 25 USD/night) included free WLAN ,complimentary breakfast, unlimited amount of complimentary tea and coffee throughout the stay, and also free airport transfer, so I would really say this is a bargain!! If we come to Kathamandu again we would definately come to this hotel!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Heidi_K_Finland
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest from Finland, Namaste!!