“Horrible - Reviews Don't Match Up”

OYO 115 Hotel Backyard
Ranked #26 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Rarely will I write a horrible review except in the instance someone needs to be warned about what they're getting into. The Backyard Hotel is just terrible. The rooms are filled with mold, the bedding extremely dirty and the bathrooms absolutely disgusting. We even upgraded to a room with a double bed, a private bathroom and an AC, but it was terrible. My husband and I have backpacked around the world and this is one of two hotels I truly wanted to leave after checking in, but we stuck it out.. we just refused to even open our bags! If you have children - do NOT stay here. In addition, while the hotel staff is very friendly..they are always pushing you to their travel service next door. Their car prices are outrageous as are their tours and the pressure they put on you to book a service with them is immense - it got to the point where I didn't want to walk through the lobby because they were constantly asking if we were ready to book a tour or a car to the airport. My advice.. avoid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RevealingWorld
TSUNEAL, Manager at OYO 115 Hotel Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest from Denver, Namaste!

Greetings!!

This is a sad news for us that you did not have a good time at our hotel. It was really a bad luck for us that we had to use that room, because all other rooms were full. It was just a week ago that one of our guest's dog had damaged the bathroom door. Also the commode had a small crack which had broken few days ago. We were on the beginning of our hotel renovation and that room had been kept for later as it was always occupied. There are no excuses really we can defend with for what you have written, and we can only apologize for this, because that is the truth. We really regret that we offered you one of the rooms which was really needing renovation. We are really sorry about that. But it seems unfair to say that the review don't match up. The other rooms perfectly all right. For cleanliness, I think the room you had was not questionable apart from the mold which had developed due to the passing of water from the attached under-construction building, and was was unstoppable. We could have definitely given you a different room the next day if you had informed us about your problem with the scratched and a cracked commode. Since it is already over now, and non of our rooms are in bad condition right now after the renovation, we would like to welcome you again to experience our newly renovated hotel.

Regarding the issue of travel company text to our lobby, it is sad that we can say nothing about that. I am trying to find out what happened. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is a backpacker hotel in the heart of Thamel. It´s not on the main street, but a little bit inside a small street, so you will not hear noise of motorcycle at night. For the price I paid, I satisfied with what I got. The room is clean. Staffs are helpful. Airport pick up didnt have any problem. However, Kathmandu has problem with power cut so often. Cheap hotels and guesthouses in Thamel do have electriccity genarators, but for some equipments only. If you need 24 hours electricity and luxury, you have to stay at a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
TSUNEAL, Manager at OYO 115 Hotel Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Rome, Namaste!! Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was a nice to be at your service. We are glad that you liked our service and you had a good trip overall. Though you did not have much time in Kathmandu, I can assume you had a good time with this review. Besides that, we are really sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the delayed flight from Pokhara. The airlines company was to be blamed and we could do nothing about that. I will make sure in future that our guests do not face that problem again by not recommending that airlines any more. We look forward to see you in future. All the best till then. Thank you.

Sunil

Reviewed 25 October 2013

First time to Kathmandu and we decided to stay at this hotel, we were very pleased - nice clean rooms, good facilities (our room had AC/fridge/balcony) right in the heart of Thamel and close to all good restaurants/shops/bars. Hotel offers complimentary airport pick up which we took advantage of on arrival and the staff waited 3 hours for us as we were having problems in the airport queuing for our visas! We went trekking for 3 weeks and not a problem to store luggage, very safe and we got everything back in perfect condition. The only problem we had was we paid for airport pick up once we had finished our trek and they got the timings wrong and didn't turn up (luckily a local let us use his phone at the airport, we managed to contact the hotel to resolve issue) apart from that, everything else good, very friendly staff and good breakfast! Would definitely recommend to others and would return if we ever came back to Kathmandu.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra and get room with AC, try get room on higher floor as less noise from street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ksmithy

Dear Ksmithy, Namaste!! Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was a pleasure to be at your service. We are glad that you liked our hotel and the services and you could recommend our hotel to others. We will surely not waste your words and assure everyone the best of services. We are always working harder to upgrade our service level. Thank you again for your recommendation. We will do our best what we can to make your recommendation prove correct. We would love to see you again in future. All the best. Thank you.

Sunil

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for a location right in the heart of Thamel, this is your place. The rooms are nice and have a balcony. Breakfast was very good all three days and if it's not cloudy the rooftop restaurant has a great view. As with most of Nepal, the people are very friendly. However they gave us a bit of attitude when we had some questions for them. The staff got a bit annoying towards the end of our stay. To their credit, they were helpful with getting us SIM cards and booking a 2 day trekking tour. Felt like we were a bit overcharged for the tour though. They tried to add a "guide fee" of $20 to our trip for a third day even though all we were doing was taking a car to the airport (which was already included in the price). The guide they set us up with was awesome though.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank jfk5081
TSUNEAL, Manager at OYO 115 Hotel Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for your time to write this wonderful review and thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was great to be at your service. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Hope your recommendation is going help other people to choose the correct correctly and also help to motivate to work harder to provide top class service. Thank you again. Have a great time there till we see you again. All the best.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the center of Thamel but quiet at night. The room was clean and staffs are keen to serve customers with their inhouse travel agency.
I had booked another night for the day I returned Kathmandu from Pokhara, but when I were back Katmandu they told me their rooms are all occupied by a big group so the hotel guy needed to take me to the other hotel to stay, I felt bad at the moment as I'd paid upfront cash for booking a room but they canceled it without notice, however the hotel staff was polite and took me to a hotel that is equivalent to hotel backyard but not located in cetral Thamel, well I still recommend hotel backyard as a good choice in KTM for its clean room, quiet location and great value.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest, Namaste!!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel on October of 2012. For some reasons i was not able to write a review till now but i was kind of obliged to, because of the very nice time i had there and the nice people i met. I stayed there my first week in Nepal, Kathmandu. Very friendly staff from the first night, answered to all my questions and guided me in the city. Had nice sleep in the room, very comfortable with the basic and necessary facilities. Great locality in the heart of Thamel, although nice and quiet sleep. Do not hesitate to ask them about anything you worry about from how you catch the bus to Pokhara till the right price you should pay in the restaurant.
I did the Annapurna Circuit for 20 days and i asked them to keep a room for me when i will arrive back. I had a problem with my shell phone and even i didn't informed them about my arrival day, a room, better than this i asked, was ready for me on time!! I really recommend this hotel for everyone who would like a nice, clean place in the centre of Thamel with helpfull staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NIKOLAOS P
TSUNEAL, Manager at OYO 115 Hotel Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Guest from VERIA, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was a pleasure to be at your service. We are glad to know about your satisfaction with our service and property. It is nice to have your feedback. We will definitely take care of the negatives and positives we have at our hotel according to your feedback and try to improve very soon. Your review is definitely going to help us to do good. We look forward to provide even better service in future. All the best to you.

Backyard Hotel

Reviewed 20 September 2013

If you are planning to visit Kathmandu and looking for best accommodation and your pocket side by side then Backyard in the heart of Thamel is your best bet,

I am giving it 5 Stars

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Haider J

Dear Haider, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was a pleasure to be at your service. We are glad that we were able to satisfy you in all ways and you had a great time at our hotel. Actually, that's what we have always worked for: customer satisfaction. Hope your recommendation is going to help other people to to have a nice stay in Kathmandu. This is a motivation for us and we will continue this. Thank you again. All the best to you.